2021 Keyless Entry

SDXLT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
I purchased the keyless entry pad after doing poor research thinking I would be able to install myself. It appears that it’s not possible to code it myself, or with Forscan. So does anyone know if there are non-dealer ways to get this thing coded? They want to charge a full hour for what should be 10 minutes tops and it is half again more expensive than the keypad was. Of course, since I t is an electronic it cannot be returned.
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I think if you find the right interface cable you may be able to install the IDS software and get software license from Ford for the weekend to do it. But, much easier, and possibly cheaper, to have the dealer do the process. I had them program it but leave the keypad loose for me to install later since I didn't want it in the standard location on the truck for all to see.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I don't know anything about installation, so can't help you there.
Ads are getting smarter. This is what showed under your post.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 092611.png

mxracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4
Unfortunately with the new vehicles only 2 options. Download FDRS, get a license and do it yourself or pay the dealer. I'd shop around a bit maybe at some dealers to get a better price. Mine only charged me .33 of an hour.

Sorry forgot to mention the elephant in the room... you'll also need an interface cable for the FDRS software if you don't have one. i.e. Mongoose-Plus J2534

Last edited:

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
My local dealer (which I would love to support because they are less than a mile away) was going to charge a full hour labor ($140) to program the keypad. I called the dealer 17 miles away and they did it for $40 bucks.

I tried using the same local dealer yesterday to buy a new set of tires. Even though they advertise that they will price match, they refused to do it. So, a call to the dealer 17 miles away in Sturgis SD, and they were more than happy to price match.

I just do not understand why some dealers have to try to gouge their customers.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
My local dealer (which I would love to support because they are less than a mile away) was going to charge a full hour labor ($140) to program the keypad. I called the dealer 17 miles away and they did it for $40 bucks.

I tried using the same local dealer yesterday to buy a new set of tires. Even though they advertise that they will price match, they refused to do it. So, a call to the dealer 17 miles away in Sturgis SD, and they were more than happy to price match.

I just do not understand why some dealers have to try to gouge their customers.
The norm has been blame everything on COVID and that excuse is getting overused like Spare and Megan.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I think if you find the right interface cable you may be able to install the IDS software and get software license from Ford for the weekend to do it. But, much easier, and possibly cheaper, to have the dealer do the process. I had them program it but leave the keypad loose for me to install later since I didn't want it in the standard location on the truck for all to see.
The local Ford dealer's service manager absolutely refused programming unless the keypad was on the truck. He gave me some "official" excuse why they weren't allowed. So I stuck it where I wanted it on the door pillar before I got there.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
The local Ford dealer's service manager absolutely refused programming unless the keypad was on the truck. He gave me some "official" excuse why they weren't allowed. So I stuck it where I wanted it on the door pillar before I got there.
I would love to hear what their official reasoning was. As far as I'm concerned, it's a keyless key fob with a sticker on it, if I want to put it on my truck or I want to mount it inside my garage so that I don't have to get a key if I happen to already be in the garage to unlock and lock my truck but I want outside the garage on the road somewhere. There's not that potential security vulnerability if somebody happens to be really good at guessing codes. It's none of the dealers concern. Their job in my mind is to pair this with the truck since their software is needed to get the truck to register that device. I don't even think my dealer charged me to do it. I know they didn't charge me for the FP tune to get installed.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I would love to hear what their official reasoning was. As far as I'm concerned, it's a keyless key fob with a sticker on it, if I want to put it on my truck or I want to mount it inside my garage so that I don't have to get a key if I happen to already be in the garage to unlock and lock my truck but I want outside the garage on the road somewhere. There's not that potential security vulnerability if somebody happens to be really good at guessing codes. It's none of the dealers concern. Their job in my mind is to pair this with the truck since their software is needed to get the truck to register that device. I don't even think my dealer charged me to do it. I know they didn't charge me for the FP tune to get installed.
In short, he just blamed it on having to follow Ford's rule.
Sponsored