First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Private Security
I have a 2020 FX4 that started to make a noise and I couldn’t pin point the location. It’s been in the shop for a week and they can’t figure it out either. They think it’s coming from the rear differential, but have only been able to reproduce the sound once. I’ll post the video and see if you guys have any input.
Sponsored

Attachments

FirstRanger011

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD FX4
I had to double check that was your video and not some strange noise coming from outside.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 FX4 that started to make a noise and I couldn’t pin point the location. It’s been in the shop for a week and they can’t figure it out either. They think it’s coming from the rear differential, but have only been able to reproduce the sound once. I’ll post the video and see if you guys have any input.
Hi Evan,

I cannot be of help, even with my new hearing aids in my ears...not in the cards... Most rear axle problems are either a high pitched whine or a growel. Dealer should have tools to be directional to pinpoint the noise. Should not take a week to diagnose...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Verhiz

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Private Security
Hi Evan,

I cannot be of help, even with my new hearing aids in my ears...not in the cards... Most rear axle problems are either a high pitched whine or a growel. Dealer should have tools to be directional to pinpoint the noise. Should not take a week to diagnose...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks!
The problem is it doesn’t do it all the time, so they weren’t able to pinpoint it. I was told they documented it and was directed to Ford customer service.

avi8tornx211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I have had a similar issue. It sounds like a rotational squeek. 8-30+mph. And the squeek increases with pitch/intensity as the truck speeds up. Not like a squeek from shocks etc... Took it in as well. They claimed it was the light bar... Yeah ok. But i did a solid hand wash on the truck (nothing too crazy like underneath spraying) and the sound went away...???

Sounds silly but let me know after a wash. Maybe in the wheels/brakes... Mine sounded like it was coming from the driver front wheel.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a similar issue. It sounds like a rotational squeek. 8-30+mph. And the squeek increases with pitch/intensity as the truck speeds up. Not like a squeek from shocks etc... Took it in as well. They claimed it was the light bar... Yeah ok. But i did a solid hand wash on the truck (nothing too crazy like underneath spraying) and the sound went away...???

Sounds silly but let me know after a wash. Maybe in the wheels/brakes... Mine sounded like it was coming from the driver front wheel.
Hi Chris,

Sounds like a brake dust shield is rubbing on the brake rotor...likely bent somehow...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

avi8tornx211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hi Chris,

Sounds like a brake dust shield is rubbing on the brake rotor...likely bent somehow...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Ok I'll have to give it a look if it starts to do that again. Makes complete sense. Thank you!
Sponsored