Hankook Dynapro ATM discontinued?

UpstateRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways as my post states I just found that the tires that come from the factory on the Rangers are no longer available.

I'm a service writer at the local Ford dealership. We had a customer come in who happened to blow a tire on their Ranger. Went ahead and got in contact with our local Hankook dealer since we don't stock tires. Turns out Hankook has discontinued the Dynapro ATM.

Being a Ranger owner myself I decided to do a little digging. Reached out to multiple suppliers only to get the same answer. Attempted to reach out to Hankook personally and couldn't get a straight answer.

Anybody have an idea as to what's going on? I'm concerned because it could easily be me in need of one tire and my OCD will not accept a mismatch.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways as my post states I just found that the tires that come from the factory on the Rangers are no longer available.

I'm a service writer at the local Ford dealership. We had a customer come in who happened to blow a tire on their Ranger. Went ahead and got in contact with our local Hankook dealer since we don't stock tires. Turns out Hankook has discontinued the Dynapro ATM.

Being a Ranger owner myself I decided to do a little digging. Reached out to multiple suppliers only to get the same answer. Attempted to reach out to Hankook personally and couldn't get a straight answer.

Anybody have an idea as to what's going on? I'm concerned because it could easily be me in need of one tire and my OCD will not accept a mismatch.
I don't know if they're discontinued, one of the first things I did was replace the tires. I didn't trust them for the off roading that I do which is some rocky stuff and a lot of desert areas and that's no place you want to get stranded. Worse case you you have your spare which should match but you could always check out the members section here as there's been some good deals from others selling theirs with very low milage. That way you have a back up set just in case. Oh,I'm super OCD too and would never accept a mismatch either. :)

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

Most likely. The AT2 was released to replace the ATM.

Dont know anyone that has bought the AT2 yet.

OP
OP
UpstateRanger

UpstateRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Most likely. The AT2 was released to replace the ATM.

Dont know anyone that has bought the AT2 yet.
I'm just confused. They've delivered multiple 2020 Rangers with the ATM. Why sell a vehicle with a tire that is no longer available? I can see a lot of angry customers coming in soon.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just confused. They've delivered multiple 2020 Rangers with the ATM. Why sell a vehicle with a tire that is no longer available? I can see a lot of angry customers coming in soon.
Why do you think Ford has any say on Hankook business practices?

Nothing they can do beyond use the tires they have, then use replacement tire/company after that.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hi everyone,

Well... that sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW the date code on our 12/20 build 2020 has ATM’s with 26th week of 2019. So they may be switching over soon.

OP
OP
UpstateRanger

UpstateRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
FWIW the date code on our 12/20 build 2020 has ATM’s with 26th week of 2019. So they may be switching over soon.
We noticed that as well. Went around the lock and inspected all the 20s. Most tires dated between March and April we had one STX with a set of Goodyear's though which has me guessing that they're either swapping to that brand or it was a dealer trade at some point who ended up having to replace the tires and could no longer get their hands on the ATMs

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Maybe that is why Ford when with the ATM...they got a good deal on them to blow out the inventory. I cannot remember which vehicle it was I had, but one of them had a tire that was kinda specially built for the vehicle. It was a make and model of tire that anyone could but something about THAT version that came on the vehicle was different. Less plies maybe? I can not recall.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe that is why Ford when with the ATM...they got a good deal on them to blow out the inventory. I cannot remember which vehicle it was I had, but one of them had a tire that was kinda specially built for the vehicle. It was a make and model of tire that anyone could but something about THAT version that came on the vehicle was different. Less plies maybe? I can not recall.
Hi Dave,

You supposition of how this may occur is not correct. Ford Purchasing contracts with a supplier. The supplier has to ship product to Ford Specifications. To have a special spec, Ford must ensure an equal spec of better part will be available in the Aftermarket. The component manufacturer has to guarantee to supply components to the Ford Spec for the volume of parts Ford Specifies. If the volume of actual trucks exceeds the Purchasing Volume, either the manufacturer supplies more part to Ford or informs the company there is a change which kicks off reevaluation. Ford does not buy up Stock that runs out before there is an engineering change by Ford to another level until it is tested and certified for production by Ford Engineering. This may occur in the middle of production and the change may be approved to be incorporated as old stock is exhausted, but there is a paper trail of change...At no time does Ford buy old stock. As for special stock, solely for Ford...It maybe true as on wearout goods like tires the tire manufacturer might exhaust stock in the aftermarket. Ford has no control over this market. Exhaust systems are another example...in the aftermarket, you cannot buy an oem supplier system that is a good as came on the vehicle...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thank you Phil...my comment was more tongue-in-cheek but in hindsight, I am glad I wrote it. I appreciate your comments and enjoy learning about the process my little Ranger went through to arrive in my driveway. Until given the chance to think about it (through your comments), I sometimes forget the steps that must take place and backend that goes into me buying a truck on a car lot. Kinda thing that is easy to take for granted.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I am still running the stock Hankook ATM tires that came with my 2019 Ranger. I have not experienced any significant problems with them, but I have planned to upgrade to the more highly rated Michelin LTX A/T 2 once I put some significant miles on the Hankook. So the news about the Hankook ATM being discontinued does not exactly break my heart....

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I am still running the stock Hankook ATM tires that came with my 2019 Ranger. I have not experienced any significant problems with them, but I have planned to upgrade to the more highly rated Michelin LTX A/T 2 once I put some significant miles on the Hankook. So the news about the Hankook ATM being discontinued does not exactly break my heart....
Exactly right!
My 2000 S/cab was shod with Michelin LTX's as replacements for the OEM Firestones, they were excellent tires.
When the "Kim Chee" specials (Hankook's) on my 2020 wear out or I can no longer live with, they'll be replaced with a set of Michelins pronto.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
You may be referring to GM's T-Spec tires from the seventies or eighties, evidently, the General wrote a spec specifying tire standards, approached the various tire manufacturer who agreed to meet these specs.

Indeed, there was a "T-Spec" logo molded onto the sidewalls of these tires.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Phil,
That's good to know about Ford not buying old stock. The second part of Dave's comment, though, was about whether Ford or other manufacturers sometimes order specially spec'd tires (or other consumable items), perhaps to save cost. The reason I ask, and why I also suspect it could be the case, was because when we were still in the market for the '19 Ranger, I looked up the Hankook ATM tires on sites like tirerack.com and Americas Tire and noticed that they were triple-peak winter rated, which I was happy about. When the truck arrived, however, there was no triple-peak icon on the tire, only the all-season M+S (snowflake) symbol.

While I was a little miffed, it wasn't a huge deal and I just let it roll off, but it left me wondering whether Ford ordered a specially spec'd tire from Hankook, maybe to save some cost on them. It may also be that Hankook offers the non-triple-peak version to the general public, but I haven't seen it on any online tire store sites.

Hi Dave,

You supposition of how this may occur is not correct. Ford Purchasing contracts with a supplier. The supplier has to ship product to Ford Specifications. To have a special spec, Ford must ensure an equal spec of better part will be available in the Aftermarket. The component manufacturer has to guarantee to supply components to the Ford Spec for the volume of parts Ford Specifies. If the volume of actual trucks exceeds the Purchasing Volume, either the manufacturer supplies more part to Ford or informs the company there is a change which kicks off reevaluation. Ford does not buy up Stock that runs out before there is an engineering change by Ford to another level until it is tested and certified for production by Ford Engineering. This may occur in the middle of production and the change may be approved to be incorporated as old stock is exhausted, but there is a paper trail of change...At no time does Ford buy old stock. As for special stock, solely for Ford...It maybe true as on wearout goods like tires the tire manufacturer might exhaust stock in the aftermarket. Ford has no control over this market. Exhaust systems are another example...in the aftermarket, you cannot buy an oem supplier system that is a good as came on the vehicle...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored