svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
So my registration tags in Michigan were up in March... They were 250$, that's nutty.

That is all...

EDIT: I guess this is "off topic" now. I figured a discussion about Ranger registration would go under General Ranger Discussions, but I guess I was wrong :) Sorry for any confusion.
I wish I had a $250 registration, but I'll be looking at roughly double that amount...
Sponsored

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Hate to rub it in but you guys should all move to TN. Mine costs $24 a year for a standard plate. I hope it stays that way.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Hate to rub it in but you guys should all move to TN. Mine costs $24 a year for a standard plate. I hope it stays that way.
And some of the best roads I have ever rode my bike on are in Tennessee.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I agree. The roads in TN are mostly because of the mild weather. I lived much of my life in NY and PA and when I stopped skiing I was happy to be moving South.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I wish I had a $250 registration, but I'll be looking at roughly double that amount...
You’re only paying 4% sales tax, and 48c gas tax, ours is at best 33% more, and our roads all look like the surface of the moon. I’d gladly pay double if I could drive on a road without losing a wheel 2x a year.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You’re only paying 4% sales tax, and 48c gas tax, ours is at best 33% more, and our roads all look like the surface of the moon. I’d gladly pay double if I could drive on a road without losing a wheel 2x a year.
lol you're really trying to outdo Hawaii? Boy where do I start :LOL:

Our cost of living is among the highest in the nation thanks to both our location in the Pacific as well as many companies having monopoly positions. It drives the costs up. Many things here cost more than on the mainland, sometimes more than double and I'm not even looking at housing (depending on where you look, the median price for a home is between $800K and $1M).

Take a gallon of milk, for example. You may have 6 percent sales tax, if a gallon of your milk costs 4 you bucks, it would set you back a total of $4.24. A gallon of milk easily sets you back 7-8 bucks over here, before tax (we have GET, we don't actually have sales tax, despite everything being taxed with this GET, it's slightly higher by the way, 4.712 percent instead of 4). With tax added we'd pay $7.32-$8.37.

I don't know if you pay sales tax over your gas but I'm guessing you do just like how we pay GET over it (meaning double tax... but I guess it could be worse, in Europe they pay triple tax, plus added fees in some places lol). The cheapest gas here is 2.99 (if you have a Costco card or are in the military, otherwise it's going to 30-40 cents more per gallon), yours, according to gasbuddy.com is listed at 2.01. Again, add the percentages and you'll see we still end up higher than you.

Your slightly higher tax makes very little difference when the base price is higher for us. What you end up paying is what matters most, IMHO.

How much was the sticker price of your Ranger? Did it have a $4,000-$6,000 added to the sticker? We call this a paradise tax, as we see it with so many things. And what's worse, in many cases, like with the dealers, it's pretty much non-negotiable due to the monopoly positions. You can't go somewhere else over here, your only way around this is either using something like Ford's X-plan or purchasing on the mainland and having it shipped in (but by the time you're done paying for transportation, taxes, and the paperwork, you would still have paid more than if you'd lived on the mainland). And pretty much every store has this paradise tax in some form, even retail chains like Best Buy, Target, Walmart etc where, if you go to the store, it usually pays to check online and do a price match, many items are listed higher in-store (with the exception of Walmart, which doesn't price match here anymore, you're only alternative is store pickup for the online price, as retarded as I think that process is).

As for the infrastructure, you'd lose wheels here as well. We have so many potholes and broken roads, it is ridiculous. Our state is ranked second-worst in the nation when it comes to infrastructure, with only Rode Island being worse apparently.

I could go on and on lol. In many ways Hawaii is a great place to live in, but cost and it's infrastructure aren't part of that ;)

Ps. a little disclaimer: I can see how this bit of text could come across as a rant, especially since it's a lot, but please know it was not meant as such. I meant it with a friendly undertone :)

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Keep voting for leftists and you have just began to pay. And your gas guzzler will be confiscated. :LOL::LOL:

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol you're really trying to outdo Hawaii? Boy where do I start :LOL:

Our cost of living is among the highest in the nation thanks to both our location in the Pacific as well as many companies having monopoly positions. It drives the costs up. Many things here cost more than on the mainland, sometimes more than double and I'm not even looking at housing (depending on where you look, the median price for a home is between $800K and $1M).

Take a gallon of milk, for example. You may have 6 percent sales tax, if a gallon of your milk costs 4 you bucks, it would set you back a total of $4.24. A gallon of milk easily sets you back 7-8 bucks over here, before tax (we have GET, we don't actually have sales tax, despite everything being taxed with this GET, it's slightly higher by the way, 4.712 percent instead of 4). With tax added we'd pay $7.32-$8.37.

I don't know if you pay sales tax over your gas but I'm guessing you do just like how we pay GET over it (meaning double tax... but I guess it could be worse, in Europe they pay triple tax, plus added fees in some places lol). The cheapest gas here is 2.99 (if you have a Costco card or are in the military, otherwise it's going to 30-40 cents more per gallon), yours, according to gasbuddy.com is listed at 2.01. Again, add the percentages and you'll see we still end up higher than you.

Your slightly higher tax makes very little difference when the base price is higher for us. What you end up paying is what matters most, IMHO.

How much was the sticker price of your Ranger? Did it have a $4,000-$6,000 added to the sticker? We call this a paradise tax, as we see it with so many things. And what's worse, in many cases, like with the dealers, it's pretty much non-negotiable due to the monopoly positions. You can't go somewhere else over here, your only way around this is either using something like Ford's X-plan or purchasing on the mainland and having it shipped in (but by the time you're done paying for transportation, taxes, and the paperwork, you would still have paid more than if you'd lived on the mainland). And pretty much every store has this paradise tax in some form, even retail chains like Best Buy, Target, Walmart etc where, if you go to the store, it usually pays to check online and do a price match, many items are listed higher in-store (with the exception of Walmart, which doesn't price match here anymore, you're only alternative is store pickup for the online price, as retarded as I think that process is).

As for the infrastructure, you'd lose wheels here as well. We have so many potholes and broken roads, it is ridiculous. Our state is ranked second-worst in the nation when it comes to infrastructure, with only Rode Island being worse apparently.

I could go on and on lol. In many ways Hawaii is a great place to live in, but cost and it's infrastructure aren't part of that ;)

Ps. a little disclaimer: I can see how this bit of text could come across as a rant, especially since it's a lot, but please know it was not meant as such. I meant it with a friendly undertone :)

Yeah, you’re paying all of that because it’s the most desirable and beautiful place you can live. The thought of paying that much for paradise doesn’t even make me flinch. Now pay a significant percent of that to live where the roads are weaponized.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thing is, though, I grew up in Europe and miss having seasons and the ability to get into my car and just drive to wherever. Always summer is fun for a while but it gets old after a time. But yeah, the wife doesn't want to move (she's from here) so I'm probably stuck here lol

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thing is, though, I grew up in Europe and miss having seasons and the ability to get into my car and just drive to wherever. Always summer is fun for a while but it gets old after a time. But yeah, the wife doesn't want to move (she's from here) so I'm probably stuck here lol
Q: How do you know you’ve lost your mind?
A: You utter the words “stuck in Hawaii”

I get it, that’s why I’m stuck in Michigan :)

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Just sold the Tundra. It's vehicle registration was also due. It's total bill was only 91$ Makes me ill cuz I just got the new truck tax bill. 440.00. Plus the 52.00 standard plate registration which is all collected by the DMV now.
I've paid for the plate in the deal, but only a temporary registration comes. It's due in 1-20. Once I pay my property taxes, then I'll get the rest of the year registration

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Lol my wifes 2013 baseline hinda civic regristration was $240 last month. I dont recall what my ranger was but its considered a " heavy" vehicle at 4400 pounds so registration ieven more. Imagin what a 3500 series truck costs to register here in San Diego.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
here is AZ they base it off the retail value of your vehicle for that year. not sure how its calculated. but when I had a new 30k vehicles. my registration for the first year was about $700. As each year as your vehicles depreciates; the registration down down also. but not a lot. its stupid. don't see why anyone needs to register they vehicles every year. do it once and your done. but everyone always needs more money cause the country is broke and can't operate on a budget.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
And the big joke is that the vehicle tax is supposed to fix the roads in AZ. It gets diverted to other things. Nice office buildings for the transportation dept. to name just one enormous example. :explode:

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
And the big joke is that the vehicle tax is supposed to fix the roads in AZ. It gets diverted to other things. Nice office buildings for the transportation dept. to name just one enormous example. :explode:
Diverted to the pockets of the politicians
Sponsored