Rumor: Ford Ranger Raptor to Feature Twin-Turbo 2.0-Liter Diesel

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
According to themotorreport, a new generation 2.0-litre four-cylinder twin-turbo diesel engine will be used to power the Ford Ranger Raptor.

Sep 28, 2017
Following Ford’s announcement that a high-performance Raptor version of its Ranger ute is on the way, details have emerged revealing a new generation 2.0-litre four-cylinder twin-turbo diesel will be used to power the halo model.

Although Ford executives have declined to comment on the finer details of the hardcore Ranger, sources familiar with the new model’s development have disclosed that the high-output engine will debut in the Raptor ahead of being rolled out across the Ranger lineup in 2019.

Despite its smaller cubic capacity and lower cylinder count, the new engine, likely to be marketed as part of Ford’s EcoBlue diesel family, won’t step backwards compared to the outputs of the 3.2-litre five-cylinder turbo diesel that currently powers some Ranger models.

As a minimum, that means targeted power outputs of at least 150kW and 470Nm with improved low rpm driveability thanks to a more responsive twin-turbo setup.

The more high-tech engine is also expected to save weight compared to the larger five-cylinder engine and bring improvements in efficiency. A new 10-speed automatic, co-developed with General Motors, will also improve the Raptor's performance credentials.

Initial speculation suggested the Ranger Raptor could use either a boosted version of the existing 3.2-litre five-cylinder diesel engine, or a variation of Ford’s 3.5-litre twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 petrol engine.

Instead the new 2.0-litre engine will better meet Ford’s development targets for power, economy and responsiveness, the demands for which the existing engines were unable to match.

As well as the significant under-bonnet changes, the Ranger Raptor will feature a more advanced suspension set-up based on a toughened version of the coil-sprung solid rear axle from the Everest SUV. Other changes to match the Raptor’s performance potential include raised ride height, wider wheels, four-wheel disc brakes (a first for the Ranger) and extra under-body protection to ensure it can handle the toughest driving conditions.

Development of the Ranger Raptor is being led by Ford Australia's engineering division, although the new tough ute is expected to be revealed in full at next year's Shanghai Motor Show - exactly a year after the larger F-150 Raptor went on-sale in China.

It is likely to go on-sale in Australia by mid year with an expected price of around $80,000 when it does.

Ford isn’t the only ute maker preparing to enter the performance pickup market either, with Toyota believed to be investigating a performance-enhanced HiLux through its TRD division while Holden Special Vehicles is understood to be readying a beefed-up Colorado to take the place of its current range of locally-built go-fast Commodores.
Sponsored

GStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Looks like Ford's trying to position the Ranger Raptor directly against the Chevy Colorado ZR2 and its 4 cyl turbo diesel option! I hope though that like the ZR2 we also get a V6 version of the Ranger Raptor.

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Looks like Ford's trying to position the Ranger Raptor directly against the Chevy Colorado ZR2 and its 4 cyl turbo diesel option! I hope though that like the ZR2 we also get a V6 version of the Ranger Raptor.
We better see a V6 option because if the Ranger Raptor is only going to get a turbo diesel 4 cyl engine then less chance we'll get it in the U.S.

GStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
We better see a V6 option because if the Ranger Raptor is only going to get a turbo diesel 4 cyl engine then less chance we'll get it in the U.S.
If it's supposed to compete directly again the Colorado ZR2 then we should see two engine options. But I was hoping that for the diesel engine we would have gotten the 3.2L 5-cyl turbodiesel "Puma" engine rather than the 4 cyl turbodiesel like this article is reporting.

Ford guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach 1...1995 Mustang Cobra...1948 Ford F-1 pick-up
Occupation
retired
If it's supposed to compete directly again the Colorado ZR2 then we should see two engine options. But I was hoping that for the diesel engine we would have gotten the 3.2L 5-cyl turbodiesel "Puma" engine rather than the 4 cyl turbodiesel like this article is reporting.
If a small diesel engine is your only option and the 2.7 eco-boost or similar V6 is not offered ....I will be buying my FIRST new Chevrolet. I never thought I'd ever do that.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Keep in mind that this is an Asia Pacific spec vehicle. Diesel is getting hammered hard in the US and EU right now. Based on that and a Ford Exec saying that US customers expect a gas engine, I wouldn't expect a diesel in the US. A high output 2.3 or a 2.7 are the most likely options.

jefftome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach1
Dying for the 3.2-litre five-cylinder diesel engine. My '17 Rover Sprt HSE has V6 turbo diesel and I am sold.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Speaking with Drive, Jamal Hameedi, Ford Performance chief vehicle engineer, said the Ranger Raptor would be a hit in the U.S. but would require a gasoline engine, even though he thinks the diesel is the right choice for the rest of the world.
“Raptors are a slam dunk for the U.S.; I think [the Ranger Raptor] would do really well in the states, Hameedi said in an interview published Friday. “I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world.”
This was said in an interview back in February. Based on this, holding to the F-150 Raptor idea of a high output variant would make sense. What isn't known at this time is how much headroom the 2.3L in the Ranger will actually have for a high output variant. I have seen some impressive numbers from the 2.3L in a Mustang with a cold air intake, exhaust and a tune.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
This was said in an interview back in February. Based on this, holding to the F-150 Raptor idea of a high output variant would make sense. What isn't known at this time is how much headroom the 2.3L in the Ranger will actually have for a high output variant. I have seen some impressive numbers from the 2.3L in a Mustang with a cold air intake, exhaust and a tune.

Would be nice if they put the 2.7L from the F150 instead or even the 3.5L

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Would be nice if they put the 2.7L from the F150 instead or even the 3.5L
There is some room in the 2.3L for some good power-to-weight gains based on what I have seen. The 2.7L would be an easier package out of the box for performance gains I think. But with aftermarket mods, the 2.7L would allow the Ranger Raptor to exceed the F-150 Raptor in several ways.

WI LION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 Mustang GT
So considering that the LHD Ranger Raptor video we saw yesterday sounded like a diesel, is it possible that we're going to see different engines in different markets?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
So considering that the LHD Ranger Raptor video we saw yesterday sounded like a diesel, is it possible that we're going to see different engines in different markets?
I think the Diesel could be for the Global market and the Ecoboost U.S or North America.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
There is some room in the 2.3L for some good power-to-weight gains based on what I have seen. The 2.7L would be an easier package out of the box for performance gains I think. But with aftermarket mods, the 2.7L would allow the Ranger Raptor to exceed the F-150 Raptor in several ways.
I really really hope it has the 2.7L over the 2.3L. The biggest issue with Midsize trucks its lack of power in any of them. This leaves them being boring to drive. The 2.7L could change that. Also the 3.0L Diesel in the new Jeep Scrambler could also change that, but the Ecoboost would be faster and more fun.
Sponsored