Rumor: Ford Ranger Raptor to Feature Twin-Turbo 2.0-Liter Diesel

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I think the Diesel could be for the Global market and the Ecoboost U.S or North America.
I hope that's the case. As I said in the other thread, I would prefer a gas engined Ranger Raptor. I think diesel makes more sense for the Bronco than it does for the Ranger, at least for the Raptor model. Raptor models are meant for face paced high speed high HP offroading which isn't diesel's strong suit.
Sponsored

Spooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
I really really hope it has the 2.7L over the 2.3L. The biggest issue with Midsize trucks its lack of power in any of them. This leaves them being boring to drive. The 2.7L could change that. Also the 3.0L Diesel in the new Jeep Scrambler could also change that, but the Ecoboost would be faster and more fun.
Agreed 100%. It's literally buy or ignore for me depending on if it has the 2.7 or 2.3. It's important to keep in mind the Ranger isn't aluminum like the F-150. The Ranger Raptor is going to be heavy and I don't see a 2.3 being fun in it.

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4
I hope that's the case. As I said in the other thread, I would prefer a gas engined Ranger Raptor. I think diesel makes more sense for the Bronco than it does for the Ranger, at least for the Raptor model. Raptor models are meant for face paced high speed high HP offroading which isn't diesel's strong suit.
Didn't stop Ford from giving the European market Ranger Raptor just 210 HP though.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3, 2011 Hyundai Tucson, 1994 VW Corrado SLC
Didn't stop Ford from giving the European market Ranger Raptor just 210 HP though.
I don't think you can predict what will happen in the US market based on what is being offered in the ROW. The reality is that the tax structure for small displacement motors in the ROW makes it a far smarter move to do what ford's doing with the ROW Raptor. We don't have such restrictions---they could put a 2.3L EB or a 5.0 coyote in the Raptor and the only thing that would be a factor in the US is how close either move would put the price of RR to the price of the F-150 Raptor.

I have absolutely no expectation that Ford would put a V8 in any ranger, but man, how awesome would a coyote be in the RR?
Sponsored