2019 Ford Ranger Live Photos from NAIAS!

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I'm just hoping it comes to the US at all. But if it does, I hope it comes with the 2.3 ecoboost. Anyone know how tunable that engine has been?

Based on the engine use in other vehicles like the Focus RS, the 2.3 in the Ranger is expected to be tune slightly lower in HP but higher in Torque which would put it on the higher output end for that engine. The 2.7L Ecoboost is the next engine up that provides enough of a spec bump to allow Raptor level power increases. Just not sure how much room is under that hood to fit the larger engine.
Sponsored

TrackRider54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I know towing is high on some folks radar, but if I were going to tow I'd go with an F-150 or F-250.

I see the Ranger as a light duty "lifestyle" truck for hauling motorcycles, canoes, ATVs, jet skis, etc. Maybe a bass boat at the most.

I want a truck for two things:

1) A comfortable daily driver that's easy to park and gets decent fuel mileage
2) Will hold my motorcycle in the bed for day runs up to the mountains without having to ride the boring interstate bits.

I think my use is exactly what Ford designed the truck for. I don't think they had towing travel trailers or horse trailers in mind and I don't believe they are designing it to be a "sport truck" with car like handling and dragstrip abilities.

MNRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I know towing is high on some folks radar, but if I were going to tow I'd go with an F-150 or F-250.

I see the Ranger as a light duty "lifestyle" truck for hauling motorcycles, canoes, ATVs, jet skis, etc. Maybe a bass boat at the most.

I want a truck for two things:

1) A comfortable daily driver that's easy to park and gets decent fuel mileage
2) Will hold my motorcycle in the bed for day runs up to the mountains without having to ride the boring interstate bits.

I think my use is exactly what Ford designed the truck for. I don't think they had towing travel trailers or horse trailers in mind and I don't believe they are designing it to be a "sport truck" with car like handling and dragstrip abilities.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have an F150 which is overkill for my needs. I do need a truck for towing but very light towing: an aluminum trailer with ATV, total weight 1000 lbs and a very small and light 16' pontoon, total weight 2,000 lbs. Also, the small bed is perfect for my needs: hauling Home Depot type stuff, weekend excursions, portable fish house for ice fishing, kayaks, treestand and bow, deer, etc.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
I'm guessing Ford already knows this, but companies/businesses (like mine) will be considering the Ranger CrewCabs as perfect replacements for light-duty field work (project managers, supervisors, etc...) -- wonder if these will become part of their Ford Fleet Program, especially if the XL trim has decent specs? Our F150's don't tow/haul (we have F350's for that) and a small vehicle should fit the bill nicely...

TrackRider54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I'd actually rather have a lighter duty truck that gets better fuel mileage and is easier to drive and park in urban areas. I work smack in the middle of downtown Nashville and traffic is nuts as is parking.

But I am an avid outdoor person. I enjoy bicycling, motorcycling, camping, etc. Having a small 4x4 truck to haul bikes and gear would be awesome. I had a 2013 F-150 with the 5.0L and while it was a great truck, I had to make sure the tow ball was removed or else I couldn't shut my garage door. I got about 17mpg feather footing the thing...I'm talking idling away from lights and such. If I mashed the throttle at all it would drop to around 15mpg combined. Even on the highway I only saw about 20-21mpg. I seldom ever towed anything with it.

It was wonderfully comfortable and I loved all the room inside. If I could have a smaller version of that truck I'd be thrilled!

MNRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I'd actually rather have a lighter duty truck that gets better fuel mileage and is easier to drive and park in urban areas. I work smack in the middle of downtown Nashville and traffic is nuts as is parking.

But I am an avid outdoor person. I enjoy bicycling, motorcycling, camping, etc. Having a small 4x4 truck to haul bikes and gear would be awesome. I had a 2013 F-150 with the 5.0L and while it was a great truck, I had to make sure the tow ball was removed or else I couldn't shut my garage door. I got about 17mpg feather footing the thing...I'm talking idling away from lights and such. If I mashed the throttle at all it would drop to around 15mpg combined. Even on the highway I only saw about 20-21mpg. I seldom ever towed anything with it.

It was wonderfully comfortable and I loved all the room inside. If I could have a smaller version of that truck I'd be thrilled!
I have a 2014 STX supercab with 5.0, too. Mileage is 17mpg. And squeezing it into my garage is a chore.......couldn't do it with tow ball. Parking sucks with it, too. Ranger with the 2.3 EB should get up to 25mpg highway and also low end torque for the occasional light towing duties. I'm excited.

TrackRider54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I have a 2014 STX supercab with 5.0, too. Mileage is 17mpg. And squeezing it into my garage is a chore.......couldn't do it with tow ball. Parking sucks with it, too. Ranger with the 2.3 EB should get up to 25mpg highway and also low end torque for the occasional light towing duties. I'm excited.
Me too. At 6'5" tall, I am not sized well for cars. Having to "fall in" and "climb out" of a car stinks. So a truck/SUV makes sense, but I don't want a big truck. I'm not a big fan of crossovers (aka Cute Utes) even though I currently drive one (2016 Escape). It's a fine little SUV, but not really well suited to my needs. I bought it cheap and in just under 3 years I'll be handing it down to my daughter who will be 16. It will be paid for and in great shape.

I'm really hoping the Ranger meets my needs and it has more room inside than a Tacoma.

MNRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Me too. At 6'5" tall, I am not sized well for cars. Having to "fall in" and "climb out" of a car stinks. So a truck/SUV makes sense, but I don't want a big truck. I'm not a big fan of crossovers (aka Cute Utes) even though I currently drive one (2016 Escape). It's a fine little SUV, but not really well suited to my needs. I bought it cheap and in just under 3 years I'll be handing it down to my daughter who will be 16. It will be paid for and in great shape.

I'm really hoping the Ranger meets my needs and it has more room inside than a Tacoma.
I considered a Tacoma when I bought the F150 but cost was much more for the Double Cab than supercab STX. I didn't sit in a Tacoma but I've heard they aren't the most comfortable and higher trim still don't have power seats or adjustable seat height. I'm 6'3" and drove a Civic for 8 years and managed and the F150 is very comfortable and I'm hoping the Ranger will be Ok with comfort. I'll have the F150 paid off in 2.5 years and then will trade for a Ranger.........hopefully the Raptor is stateside by then.
Sponsored