Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like they are following the looks of the new Silverado. It hasn't grown on me just yet. Just seems way to "in your face" look for me

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
GM's designers are living in some kind of Transformer world
I think their tailgate is perfect proof of that. Too bad you can't even get to it with a long load in the truck. Or lower the step with a turnover ball in the receiver. :LOL::LOL:

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like they are following the looks of the new Silverado. It hasn't grown on me just yet. Just seems way to "in your face" look for me
Silverados front end looks like a character of a bull dogs face

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think their tailgate is perfect proof of that. Too bad you can't even get to it with a long load in the truck. Or lower the step with a turnover ball in the receiver. :LOL::LOL:
And you have to buy a $55k truck to get that crazy tailgate. Just wait till the start getting dirt and gravel in to the works of the tailgate bet it turns into a pile of do do.

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The new Silverado has clobbered looks. I really hate the front and rear end. The side view doesn’t do much for me either. That GMC/Chevy facelift is even more busted looking

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Ranger #2 Most Safe Midsize Trucks

If one is of the school of thought that the Ridgeline is not a 'true or proper' pickup truck - lack of body on frame or frame and cab being separate, separate open box etc. Then that would place the Ranger as #1 in the safety tests. :D

I do think uni-body vehicles like the Ridgeline should be tested in a separate class than body on frame vehicles as their construction design are by their nature different. Uni-body has gotten better but it is still not the same as a body on frame. A car type vehicle will crumple up differently than a more solid body on frame truck.

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
And you have to buy a $55k truck to get that crazy tailgate. Just wait till the start getting dirt and gravel in to the works of the tailgate bet it turns into a pile of do do.
Every truck has a dent or ding in the tailgate eventually.

The replacement of that fancy tailgate is probably 5x the standard simple design.

Just a disaster waiting to happen.

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
Ranger #2 Most Safe Midsize Trucks

If one is of the school of thought that the Ridgeline is not a 'true or proper' pickup truck - lack of body on frame or frame and cab being separate, separate open box etc. Then that would place the Ranger as #1 in the safety tests. :D

I do think uni-body vehicles like the Ridgeline should be tested in a separate class than body on frame vehicles as their construction design are by their nature different. Uni-body has gotten better but it is still not the same as a body on frame. A car type vehicle will crumple up differently than a more solid body on frame truck.
The Ridgeline should not be compared in the midsize truck category. I think of the Ridgeline as 4 door El Camino or Ranchero!

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
They're giving the #1 to the Ridgeline because of its headlights, which is depending on trim/option... but isn't that the same with the Ranger with the XLT and Lariat?

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4