Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
The Duramax Canyon is my wife's it is not going anywhere.

Replacing the Colorado? Looking for a higher trim level over the current WT. My first new vehicle was a 99 Ranger I am a fan. 19 Ranger? Researched it, test drove it, X planning it, makes sense for me.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
AskTFL: Want to Buy a Jeep Gladiator, But How Does It Compare In Turning Radius and Maneuverability? Midsize Truck Expert Buyer’s Guide
I’m very likely going to be buying the Jeep Gladiator when diesel comes out (rumored around Nov. 2019). I’ve seen the videos and sources about how it stacks up against the other in most specs, but what I’m really curious about is how do the turning radius (or diameter) compare between the mid-sized crew cab short bed competitors (Tacoma, Ranger, Chevy ZR2 and Frontier). I plan on using my Gladiator for everything from daily driving, to rock crawling to exploring the Colorado shelf roads (like Black Bear pass), so turning radius and maneuverability are huge factors for me. That’s why a similarly priced Power Wagon or Raptor aren’t even considerations. Plus parking is a nice benefit.
TFLT.png

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
True story. In the spring of 2018 there was some anticipation about a mid cycle refresh of the Colorado. It never came. Same in 2019. Here it is announced for the 2020 model year and its literally nothing. Seems like for the most part Toyota and GM are satisfied with their current models until a true new model around 2022.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/05/whats-new-for-the-2020-chevrolet-colorado/

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting they talked about Tacoma's crawl control and terrain management, but didn't say a word about the Ranger's similar features. I found the review to be pretty shallow and the criticisms of all three trucks to be pretty nitpicky. I didn't find it to be a particularly informative (or accurate) review.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Consumer Reports review of the Ranger. Their usual slanted vehicle review where they don't seem to understand that a particular type of vehicle has certain characteristics based on their intended use. That is, trucks tend to handle and ride like trucks and sports cars tend to ride stiffly and have limited room. And that smaller vehicles will have less space, and take up less space, than larger ones which is why they are smaller. They don't/can't make pickups that handle like a Corvette, ride like a Lincoln, have the interior room of a van, and carry a load like a dump truck.

20190601_070117.jpg

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer Reports review of the Ranger. Their usual slanted vehicle review where they don't seem to understand that a particular type of vehicle has certain characteristics based on their intended use. That is, trucks tend to handle and ride like trucks and sports cars tend to ride stiffly and have limited room. And that smaller vehicles will have less space, and take up less space, than larger ones which is why they are smaller. They don't/can't make pickups that handle like a Corvette, ride like a Lincoln, have the interior room of a van, and carry a load like a dump truck.

20190601_070117.jpg
I guess I'm just ill informed or something - I don't find the ride mushy - for a truck, I think the ride is EXCELLENT. And I really like how it handles on corners, etc. Like you said, it isn't a sports car, but for a truck I think it handles exceptionally well. And they are complaining about the seats? I LOVE the seats! They are REALLY comfy. But whatever.....

This is the best truck by far I've ever owned.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV

20190601_070117.jpg
On the next page they score it on various attributes. CR also shows the scores for the Colorado, Tacoma and Ridgeline. They scored the Ranger significantly better than Colorado and Tacoma. They scored the Ridgeline the highest but that is an Apples to Oranges comparison at best.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the car reviewers for these rags and just reporters doing a assignment and have no ideal what a good vehicle is. CR like a lot of magazines always pick a Japanese name plate over anything else and Hondas are there favorite. Sorry but the Ridgeline isn't in the same class as the Ranger Colorado or Tacoma.

Reactions: Ric

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I saw a Jeep Gladiator today cruising down a canyon by my house. It had a white/red license plate on it but I couldn't see in time what it said. Maybe a website or magazine logo?

It wasn't as bad in person as it looks in the promo videos, imho.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I saw a Jeep Gladiator today cruising down a canyon by my house. It had a white/red license plate on it but I couldn't see in time what it said. Maybe a website or magazine logo?

It wasn't as bad in person as it looks in the promo videos, imho.
I saw one at the dealer yesterday. It looks a LOT longer than it is.
It looks a LOT less practical than it might be.
It really looks JEEP!

I don't see it taking sales from the Ranger,
Ranger buyers use their trucks as trucks for everyday living,
a task for which they are well adapted... in spite of the ad campaign.

This Jeep May have "Jumped the Shark" in terms of styling.
They have really exceeded good wheelbase standards for off-road.
When loaded, the price point really puts it beyond practicality.
Like a Corvette or a Shelby Mustang... You gotta REALLY want one!!

I don't... Not even a little!

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
On the next page they score it on various attributes. CR also shows the scores for the Colorado, Tacoma and Ridgeline. They scored the Ranger significantly better than Colorado and Tacoma. They scored the Ridgeline the highest but that is an Apples to Oranges comparison at best.
The very next review is the Jaguar I-Pace. That's like a comparison of apples to...bowling pins? I'm guessing all vehicles must be judged on roughly the same criteria, in which case it makes me think of the quote about judging a fish by its ability to climb trees.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
From the CR review: "For those seeking more rear passenger space, bed size, and tow capacity, the Ford F-150 is a better choice...Honda Ridgeline is the smart pick for light tasks."

Thanks, CR, for pointing out that the bigger truck is, in fact, bigger. And that if I don't want a truck, I shouldn't get a truck.
Sponsored