2022 transmission needs repaired - says dealer

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Took my 2022 in for a complaint of harsh 3-4 shift in the morning and after a few days of diagnosis, I received an update.

Valve body needs replaced, the unit needs flushed to clean any metal shavings or debris, and the unit may need to be dropped/replaced if after they swap the valve body and it still acts up on the test drive, Ford will instruct them to replace the whole transmission.

Sound a little overkill for a minor “slip and bang” complaint?

Aside from the harsh shifts and occasionally squealing when going into R, it has been working fine otherwise.

I was thinking they’d just do the reprogram and send me on my way, not do major repairs to the truck.
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
I'd take it to another dealer just to get a 2nd opinion.

Valve body replacements seem to be somewhat common for rangers and F150s.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor

The truck is lurching when doing a 3-4 shift and has had delayed reverse engagement, so I think they are onto something. Just sad that I'll be without the truck for a while.

Does anybody know if the replacement valve body will have solved the issue or if the unit will have a Msfitoy style failure at 95k, right out of warranty?

I'm sooooo tempted to buy the Ford Protect extended warranty but also have not done the warranty thing much before.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the club...I'm too lazy to add this to the "endless list of transmission issues so far" thread...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Took my 2022 in for a complaint of harsh 3-4 shift in the morning and after a few days of diagnosis, I received an update.

Valve body needs replaced, the unit needs flushed to clean any metal shavings or debris, and the unit may need to be dropped/replaced if after they swap the valve body and it still acts up on the test drive, Ford will instruct them to replace the whole transmission.

Aside from the harsh shifts and occasionally squealing when going into R, it has been working fine otherwise.

I was thinking they’d just do the reprogram and send me on my way, not do major repairs to the truck.
take the replacement and run! normally its been the run around no problem found etc.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
The truck is lurching when doing a 3-4 shift and has had delayed reverse engagement, so I think they are onto something. Just sad that I'll be without the truck for a while.

Does anybody know if the replacement valve body will have solved the issue or if the unit will have a Msfitoy style failure at 95k, right out of warranty?

I'm sooooo tempted to buy the Ford Protect extended warranty but also have not done the warranty thing much before.
so idk how much help this is or if its even the same issue - but my 2021 had several flashes and the valve body swap. did not fix anything. i still feel like i will be stranded in the middle of no where any time i take it out of the garage. :(

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4

Nah, there's definitely a real issue here but perhaps a 2nd opinion may be goos to have regardless.

But if no software resets helps the issue... then that transmission is gonna have to be cracked open.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Nah bro trust me you want them doing the whole process. The reprogram and leave doesn’t work because it’s not a software issue.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
so idk how much help this is or if its even the same issue - but my 2021 had several flashes and the valve body swap. did not fix anything. i still feel like i will be stranded in the middle of no where any time i take it out of the garage. :(
Did they replace the cdf drum?

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase

trust them... you want them to do this... my truck is in the shop atm for trans issues as well these trucks have a shit trans and fail or have problems a good amount now...

fyi mine is also a 22 with 22k miles...

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the club...I'm too lazy to add this to the "endless list of transmission issues so far" thread...
it does seem to be showing up more now on the trucks after like 2020...

ive seen a few 22s show up with this style thread and my dealer has a few 22s getting looked at as well...

xplorre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4

This was my situation exactly, down to the behavior of the transmission and the tech at Ford who wrote it up. First time in was just a handful of days to do the valve body and flash.

When I picked it up he said " let me know if it's still not right and I'll have you bring it back in for a new trans." I called two days later, dropped it off the third, and finally got it back several weeks later with a new trans.

12k miles on the new one, behaving better. Enjoy your new truck

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

Plus many times they do not work. Ford has known about the defective CDF clutch drum that is causing 99% of the issues with the 10R80 and they still have not fixed it and still have not did a recall. I am not talking TSB, I am talking recall.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew

Harsh shifts and occasionally squealing are not normal. Or they shouldn't be.

Check out the recent TSB's for these issues. I hate to say it, but I think this is just the beginning of these headaches.....there going to be more and more frequent as newer owners start to hit 20K+ miles and the minor issues they've noticed become more frequent.

How many miles on your truck? 20Kish?
Sponsored