Rust Bucket..?

alaska2baja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCab, 2008 Yamaha TW200
Occupation
Adventure Guide
I have a 2020 Ranger XLT with just over 3000 miles. Swapped out the wheels/tires Tuesday and discovered the hubs were completely rusted when I removed the OEM set. I purchased the truck NEW in Utah with 11 miles but it lives in CA and has never been driven through any water or rain since I have owned it. I'm two miles from the beach. Could this possible be from washing the vehicle? (which I do regularly) It would have been nice if the hubs were painted from the factory. Didn't have what I needed to fix the issue when swapping out the old wheels for new but added the project to my TO-DO list this weekend.

IMG_2518.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
alaska2baja

alaska2baja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adventure Guide
The rusted area is part of the rotors. Doesn't look that bad. And your frame looks great atm.
Copy that Larry. Rotor assembly, not Hub. Thanks for the correction. Still rusty though. :rolleyes:

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Copy that Larry. Rotor assembly, not Hub. Thanks for the correction. Still rusty though. :rolleyes:
Yeah they're cheap so could probably replace them with better rotors. Sorry I don't have any real answers :/

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Tremor Lariat,2017 Honda Civic
Occupation
Technician
I wouldn't even think twice about that bothering me.

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
I have a 2020 Ranger XLT with just over 3000 miles. Swapped out the wheels/tires Tuesday and discovered the hubs were completely rusted when I removed the OEM set. I purchased the truck NEW in Utah with 11 miles but it lives in CA and has never been driven through any water or rain since I have owned it. I'm two miles from the beach. Could this possible be from washing the vehicle? (which I do regularly) It would have been nice if the hubs were painted from the factory. Didn't have what I needed to fix the issue when swapping out the old wheels for new but added the project to my TO-DO list this weekend.

IMG_2518.jpg
What kind of stock wheels did you replace? Aluminum or steel? If aluminum, its probably a reaction between the dissimilar metals and the salt in the air acting as the oxidizer. Put a good coat of grease on the face and area of the rim that contacts it. This needs to be done in climates that use salt on the roads in the winter to prevent this issue. It can cause the rim to actually fuse and seize on to the rotor.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
That is very common. Moisture gets trapped between the wheel and the rotor and the heat cycles from the brakes getting hot and cooling down accelerates the corrosion of the iron. If the aluminum where the wheel contacts the rotor is not coated you will get a lot of aluminum oxide build up that quite often makes getting the wheel off difficult.

As previously mention getting coated rotors will help.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
WTF? is this your first vehicle? Normal.
Go buy some anti seize grease & slap some on.
Don't worry, you'll be buying new rotors in 50 to 100k miles.....

OP
OP
alaska2baja

alaska2baja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adventure Guide
What kind of stock wheels did you replace? Aluminum or steel? If aluminum, its probably a reaction between the dissimilar metals and the salt in the air acting as the oxidizer. Put a good coat of grease on the face and area of the rim that contacts it. This needs to be done in climates that use salt on the roads in the winter to prevent this issue. It can cause the rim to actually fuse and seize on to the rotor.
Aluminum...I figured dissimilar metals might be the cause. Would grease not potentially migrate to the braking surface and potentially affect stopping power or at the very least contaminate the surface of the rotor?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
nothin to worry bout. when the rust is a problem you will know. if you can read reach or pass a beer through it then be concerned. besides more rust is better gas mileage. its not like toyota frame rust, that is the most advanced rust ive ever seen.
1642111569557.png

OP
OP
alaska2baja

alaska2baja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adventure Guide
That is very common. Moisture gets trapped between the wheel and the rotor and the heat cycles from the brakes getting hot and cooling down accelerates the corrosion of the iron. If the aluminum where the wheel contacts the rotor is not coated you will get a lot of aluminum oxide build up that quite often makes getting the wheel off difficult.

As previously mention getting coated rotors will help.
Copy. Coated rotors might be an upgrade down the line. Thanks for the reply

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
nothin to worry bout. when the rust is a problem you will know. if you can read reach or pass a beer through it then be concerned. besides more rust is better gas mileage. its not like toyota frame rust, that is the most advanced rust ive ever seen.
1642111569557.png
Engineered into it. That makes the frame flex better for off-roading...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Like others have said that's pretty normal. If it bothers you you could always hit it with a small wire brush to knock some of the rust off but I would just put the wheel back on and drive it.

I have to admit when I saw the title I was expecting this to be a Tacoma thread. :shock: