First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I'm just gonna have to get used, to customizing everything I buy for my Ranger.
Waited a month for the sliders and they sent the wrong hardware.???
Stick nuts aren't even close to the right size. The trany bolt they supplied to replace the stock skid plate bolt,
IMG_20210522_090156413.jpg
IMG_20210522_185203298.jpg
is also the wrong size.
Not gonna deal with "stick nuts." Gonna break out the angle grinder(again) and cut a small access hole for a 90 degree wrench to catch the nuts on the rear bolts. Not a fan of stick nuts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I installed mine last month. No issues, all correct size hardware delivered. Stick nuts work great. Instructions on site say from the get go that only one hole must be drilled so it was not a surprise to me. Hope you get it figured out with the least amount of drama. Had both sliders installed in less than an hour by myself.
08BF2C93-D9DE-4421-B19B-17179BE4C542.jpeg

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I
I installed mine last month. No issues, all correct size hardware delivered. Stick nuts work great. Instructions on site say from the get go that only one hole must be drilled so it was not a surprise to me. Hope you get it figured out with the least amount of drama. Had both sliders installed in less than an hour by myself.
08BF2C93-D9DE-4421-B19B-17179BE4C542.jpeg
could've done it in an hour if I had the right hardware.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Did you mount those backing plates vertically?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Did you mount those backing plates vertically?
I'm just gonna have to get used, to customizing everything I buy for my Ranger.
Waited a month for the sliders and they sent the wrong hardware.???
Stick nuts aren't even close to the right size. The trany bolt they supplied to replace the stock skid plate bolt,
IMG_20210522_090156413.jpg
IMG_20210522_185203298.jpg
is also the wrong size.
Not gonna deal with "stick nuts." Gonna break out the angle grinder(again) and cut a small access hole for a 90 degree wrench to catch the nuts on the rear bolts. Not a fan of stick nuts.
For real, you're going to cut access holes in your frame? Just call Shrockworks, have them overnight some stick nuts to you.

Nothing wrong with stick nuts. And if you bend the stick portion and trim the length they end up looking ok too.

More here: Installation of Shrockworks Rock Sliders

007B.JPG

013.JPG

Last edited:

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
For real, you're going to cut access holes in your frame? Just call Shrockworks, have them overnight some stick nuts to you.

Nothing wrong with stick nuts. And if you bend the stick portion and trim the length they end up looking ok too.

007B.JPG

013.JPG

007B.JPG

013.JPG
Yep, just gonna open this one up a tiny bit. No much at all. I'm away on business all week, every week. Overnighting it doesn't help me at all. And my friends are off of on vacation next week. So I need to get this done today.
This tiny cut won't compromise anything. I thouroughly thought this out before coming to that decision.

IMG_20210523_075417757.jpg

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I could downsize the bolts to fit the stick nuts. Going to Home Depot now. I'll see what the actual size of the stick nuts are and maybe go that way. I'd hate to downsize though.
We'll see...a work in progress.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I could downsize the bolts to fit the stick nuts. Going to Home Depot now. I'll see what the actual size of the stick nuts are and maybe go that way. I'd hate to downsize though.
We'll see...a work in progress.
Um... well... don't do that, it defeats the entire reason you're installing rock sliders in the first place.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
They're on! The stick nuts are 3/8". Nope too small. We got them on. Had to do a little "finagling" but we didn't have to cut a hole in the frame rail, not that it would've mattered. But there was no torque settings in the instructions so idk what they should be?
IMG_20210523_143843197.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
They're on! The stick nuts are 3/8". Nope too small. We got them on. Had to do a little "finagling" but we didn't have to cut a hole in the frame rail, not that it would've mattered. But there was no torque settings in the instructions so idk what they should be?
IMG_20210523_143843197.jpg
Use this as a guide but remember the 5" long bolts that go through the frame.... if you torque those to the specification below... you'll crush the frame. Seriously..

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Use this as a guide but remember the 5" long bolts that go through the frame.... if you torque those to the specification below... you'll crush the frame. Seriously..

I suspect that's why they give you the big back plates. Cuz yes they did bow a little at 50lbs. But I was almost right on with the torque settings we used.? Actually the frame rails seems to catch everything underneath cuz they sit lower then the truck. Even with the sliders, the frame rails are the lowest point in the truck.
Honestly, at 3 1/2" I never bottom out or even hit the skid plates. It's the diff I've dinged twice. But I'm doing some extreme Jeep trails. We're on a mission to prove a Ranger can do anything a Jeep can do. So far we've been successful.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I suspect that's why they give you the big back plates. Cuz yes they did bow a little at 50lbs. But I was almost right on with the torque settings we used.? Actually the frame rails seems to catch everything underneath cuz they sit lower then the truck. Even with the sliders, the frame rails are the lowest point in the truck.
Honestly, at 3 1/2" I never bottom out or even hit the skid plates. It's the diff I've dinged twice. But I'm doing some extreme Jeep trails. We're on a mission to prove a Ranger can do anything a Jeep can do. So far we've been successful.
There is a rear differential skid plate, made for a Jeep, that fits our Ranger, since the Jeep and our Fords use the same dana diff. Here's a thread: Rough Country Rear Differential Skid Plate Works!

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
There are various YouTube videos and forum posts of this company providing the wrong hardware. Sounds like they have some process improvements to look into. But the products are good.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver