First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I want to black out those side vents, does anyone have a product to use for this? Flexseal or Bedliner spray.....has anyone tried these things out on this particular part?
I popped mine out and sprayed them with just plain matte black krylon. If you want to ever reverse them in the future back to stock though, I'd go with plasti dip.
Sponsored

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Got my daughter on the ice for the first time on Saturday! She did fairly well for her first time. I was able to get her to stand and take a few steps. She loved it. 2 kids and 6 hours a week on the ice might just be the end of me though ha.
135226719_10219005537197113_9016407690188929103_n.jpg

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I popped mine out and sprayed them with just plain matte black krylon. If you want to ever reverse them in the future back to stock though, I'd go with plasti dip.
I wonder if flexseal would work, that way I could spray it on.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
I wonder if flexseal would work, that way I could spray it on.
I don't have any experience with it, so I'm not sure on that. My concern would be if it would go on too thick and look too chunky. You could always do a spray out with it on a scrap piece of similar plastic and see how it looks?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I need to pop mine out too....haven’t done that yet. Any advice on getting them off?
I’ve got to pop out the tray on the dash too. I need to drill a hole for the power cable to my gauge tablet.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
I need to pop mine out too....haven’t done that yet. Any advice on getting them off?
I’ve got to pop out the tray on the dash too. I need to drill a hole for the power cable to my gauge tablet.
I put some painters tape (masking tape) around the vent. I then used some plastic trim tools to pop it out. It's held in with a couple clips that snap in past the metal opening. Also held in around the perimeter with 3m double sided tape. I peeled that off and reapplied some new for install since I had a roll laying around.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I put some painters tape (masking tape) around the vent. I then used some plastic trim tools to pop it out. It's held in with a couple clips that snap in past the metal opening. Also held in around the perimeter with 3m double sided tape. I peeled that off and reapplied some new for install since I had a roll laying around.
Thanks for the heads up on the tape....I figured the clips were the main attachment points but I did not know about the tape. I'm going to mess with it this weekend. I'm thinking maybe a bed liner coating. I ordered a HVLP electric paint sprayer to finish up a barn door project in the master bath. I'm looking into a DIY spray-on bed liner for the truck and might try to do the vents at the same time. I'm just wondering if you would need to scuff up the vents for anything to stick to the plastic besides paint.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Thanks for the heads up on the tape....I figured the clips were the main attachment points but I did not know about the tape. I'm going to mess with it this weekend. I'm thinking maybe a bed liner coating. I ordered a HVLP electric paint sprayer to finish up a barn door project in the master bath. I'm looking into a DIY spray-on bed liner for the truck and might try to do the vents at the same time. I'm just wondering if you would need to scuff up the vents for anything to stick to the plastic besides paint.
I scuffed mine with just a green automotive scotch brite pad. You don't really want to sand it or impart scuff marks, just knocks off the sheen a little bit. Then just used a bit of acetone to clean it up. Tag rag to remove any lint. I don't know if you would have to do it this way, but I've had success doing it like this in the past. Oh, I also use rubber gloves just to make sure I'm not introducing and body oils from my hands.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I scuffed mine with just a green automotive scotch brite pad. You don't really want to sand it or impart scuff marks, just knocks off the sheen a little bit. Then just used a bit of acetone to clean it up. Tag rag to remove any lint. I don't know if you would have to do it this way, but I've had success doing it like this in the past. Oh, I also use rubber gloves just to make sure I'm not introducing and body oils from my hands.
I like your prep for sure and will follow that. I’m still looking around and will probably purchase this kit on Amazon. I can spray the bed then the vents. Heck, if it comes out great I may do my running boards and along the bottom of the doors like I’ve seen in a thread somewhere around in here....

https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Raptor...ocphy=1014651&hvtargid=pla-408758008484&psc=1

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
I like your prep for sure and will follow that. I’m still looking around and will probably purchase this kit on Amazon. I can spray the bed then the vents. Heck, if it comes out great I may do my running boards and along the bottom of the doors like I’ve seen in a thread somewhere around in here....

https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Raptor...ocphy=1014651&hvtargid=pla-408758008484&psc=1
Sounds good. I may do my rocker panels as well sometime down the road. Getting quite a few stone chips on mine.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good. I may do my rocker panels as well sometime down the road. Getting quite a few stone chips on mine.
I will also do the skid plate with the bed liner stuff and I’m wondering how the stock wheels would take it if I used a chemical echer before application.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
I did exactly that (bedlined the rocker panels) this past summer due to rock chips/dings. I've had too many vehicles (all that I've kept long enough) that have rusted out starting at the rocker panels. One rock chip, then a long cold snowy winter, rinse and repeat, and it doesn't take long for it to get out of control.

I posted about my process here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rocker-wrap-caution-picture-overload.8117/post-145662
I did read your process there a while ago. I think it turned out great and it gave me the inspiration to do the same. I like that gray color too, it goes great with your color. When / if I do mine, I think I'll go up to that lower body seam all the way across. I'd probably end up doing something in black though since everything else I have is black. I did consider touching up the chips and doing clear wrap on the rockers but I haven't decided completely for or against that.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
I did exactly that (bedlined the rocker panels) this past summer due to rock chips/dings. I've had too many vehicles (all that I've kept long enough) that have rusted out starting at the rocker panels. One rock chip, then a long cold snowy winter, rinse and repeat, and it doesn't take long for it to get out of control.

I posted about my process here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rocker-wrap-caution-picture-overload.8117/post-145662
I took a look at your link that references durabak liner. I see they make a clear version? Wonder what that would look like? Here we go again, down the rabbit hole I go. ?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
On another note...lol...on the return trip back to Colorado from dropping the granddaughter at home in South Dakota, I happened into a little store in Wyoming and went home with this crazy knife......What do you think?

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Here are a couple of pictures from this past weekend. Went to check out my favorite fishing hole on the Poudre River after the big fire. It's hard to believe this spot was burning hotter than a firecracker just a couple of months ago...now it's the movie set for Frozen 3....lol.
Also some pictures on the way home.....

IMG_1483.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1503.jpg
Sponsored