Happy Veterans Day!

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
30 years, 6 Army, 24 Navy. One of the earlier folks to go to Vietnam (65-66) while in the Army and helped with the evacuation while in the Navy (75).

Always trying to keep an upbeat attitude about those Vietnam days please allow a story,

Got back from VN on 30 June 1966. GF and I were trying to get back to normal and attended a large 4th of July gathering at a local resort lake. Crowds of people. About 10 feet away someone threw an package of firecrackers in a burn barrel. Bang, bang, bang. Didn't even think and grabbed my GF, threw her down in the gutter and landed on top of her before understanding what had just happened. We were both dirty and everyone nearby was looking at us (me) like we were nuts. Of course they didn't understand. We left and I wept as we departed. Like I said, embarrassing at the time, funny now - sort of.

As the sign above the entrance at BUDS for SEAL training states and a paraphrase from the Bible, "And who will go...I WILL go."

All gave some...some gave all.

God bless all who are serving and those that have served. You have honored America with the blessings we all enjoy daily.
Sponsored

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
I never understood the thanking a Veteran, it always makes me uncomfortable.

I think better thanks would be living a life worthy of the people that gave theirs for your freedom.
Lol, when anyone thanks me i say "don't thank me, you paid for me to travel the world and drink beer."

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
30 years, 6 Army, 24 Navy. One of the earlier folks to go to Vietnam (65-66) while in the Army and helped with the evacuation while in the Navy (75).

Always trying to keep an upbeat attitude about those Vietnam days please allow a story,

Got back from VN on 30 June 1966. GF and I were trying to get back to normal and attended a large 4th of July gathering at a local resort lake. Crowds of people. About 10 feet away someone threw an package of firecrackers in a burn barrel. Bang, bang, bang. Didn't even think and grabbed my GF, threw her down in the gutter and landed on top of her before understanding what had just happened. We were both dirty and everyone nearby was looking at us (me) like we were nuts. Of course they didn't understand. We left and I wept as we departed. Like I said, embarrassing at the time, funny now - sort of.

As the sign above the entrance at BUDS for SEAL training states and a paraphrase from the Bible, "And who will go...I WILL go."

All gave some...some gave all.

God bless all who are serving and those that have served. You have honored America with the blessings we all enjoy daily.
My first time back on campus after basic someone did the same and I hit the dirt. My friend I was with was the son of a Vietnam vet. He just said that he wouldn’t say a word. Good guy.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Lol, when anyone thanks me i say "don't thank me, you paid for me to travel the world and drink beer."

As a former Air Force reservist this has squarely hit the target. :handsinair: Those 2 weeks summer camps were AWESOME.

VT2NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Computer Networking Geek
Thanks to all veterans for what they have done . Sadly I remember being flipped off 50 years ago , kind of like the division now in America . Never forget !
I can't begin to imagine how shitty and un-thankful that must have felt. In the late 80s early 90s I got the opposite and nice greetings. A debt is owed to you!

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
I can't begin to imagine how shitty and un-thankful that must have felt. In the late 80s early 90s I got the opposite and nice greetings. A debt is owed to you!
Thank you . My 70 year old buddies remember the hatred but we just laugh at it now . Never will trust the ignorant unknowing Americans again , but most people get it now . The majority treated us fine . Just pray there is peace in America's future .

Last edited:

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Indeed.
In my country Nov 11 is Remembrance Day. Public attendance at these ceremonies, incl the Act of Remembrance, were at an all time low in the late 70's, and 80's - perhaps at a time when it would have meant the most to the many war vets still around then. Since then numbers have increased greatly, esp in the last 20 years. One of the many unfortunate consequences of this virus from China was the public was barred from attending Cenotaphs and services in person this year.

Thank you . My 70 year old buddies remember the hatred but we just laugh at it now . Never will trust the ignorant unknowing Americans again , but most people get it now . The majority treated us fine .
Sadly, we had a foreign owned grocery chain ban employees from wearing a poppy at work (!). Thankfully there was significant push back - folks do remember those who serve.

Just pray there is peace in America's future .
Amen to that. It's what we all up here want for our good neighbour.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sadly, we had a foreign owned grocery chain ban employees from wearing a poppy at work (!). Thankfully there was significant push back - folks do remember those who serve.
Reminds me of this shirt, which I wore to work on Memorial Day years ago. I was told to never wear it again because it made people uncomfortable to be reminded of why we celebrate Memorial Day. I was let go a week later.

CDCC20FC-04F2-4D9F-B910-D7CCFD2C624B.jpeg

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Reminds me of this shirt, which I wore to work on Memorial Day years ago. I was told to never wear it again because it made people uncomfortable to be reminded of why we celebrate Memorial Day. I was let go a week later.
That's ridiculous. It's not a celebration, it's a sign of respect and remembrance.

The reason given by the grocery chain here (which was this year btw) was that their work dress code didn't allow for "supporting a cause". WTH ! I have family members who have served and I can't honour them ?!

BTW, I do "get it". I have one American cousin and he served with the USAF. I told him straight I've been damn lucky to have lived my life under, effectively, the protection of the USA military. I thank all of them for their service and the blood and treasure America has paid for their efforts.

There are plenty of Canadians immigrants who haven't been so lucky in their lives - and that's a reason why many of them came here !

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
This sums up all arguments:
1605582129334.png

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy

CDCC20FC-04F2-4D9F-B910-D7CCFD2C624B.jpeg
WOW !
Sponsored