GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hello everyone!

I inherited my wife’s Ford Edge a few years ago and kept it because it was paid off. The time has come and I found a certified used 2019 Ranger FX4 SuperCrew with 20k miles for $30k.

From the first test drive I was smitten by this thing. I can go into detail about what got me lovin on it, but you all know it already.

My question: I checked under the oil cap and the yellow (rubber?) o-ring looks like it’s wearing a little bit. I don’t know if little flecks of yellow paint are going into the oil or not, but is this normal? Is it okay? Or should I ask the dealer to replace the o-ring?

I attached a picture to reference what I’m talking about.

Otherwise I’m very excited to join the community! Thanks!
4CCE5EB4-7190-4654-A229-4911F1C8DBD7.jpeg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!

I inherited my wife’s Ford Edge a few years ago and kept it because it was paid off. The time has come and I found a certified used 2019 Ranger FX4 SuperCrew with 20k miles for $30k.

From the first test drive I was smitten by this thing. I can go into detail about what got me lovin on it, but you all know it already.

My question: I checked under the oil cap and the yellow (rubber?) o-ring looks like it’s wearing a little bit. I don’t know if little flecks of yellow paint are going into the oil or not, but is this normal? Is it okay? Or should I ask the dealer to replace the o-ring?

I attached a picture to reference what I’m talking about.

Otherwise I’m very excited to join the community! Thanks!
4CCE5EB4-7190-4654-A229-4911F1C8DBD7.jpeg
Hi Bowen,

I have no idea of why the O ring is yellow other than as an assembly aid. O ring looks fine. Not worn. Just the "paint". I would not worry about a few flakes as the filter will get them. I checked mine and is still yellow as it has only been removed once by me. Maybe a good sign of a few oil changes to show good maintenance!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jgarrett

First Name
jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
FBI
Hi Bowen,

I have no idea of why the O ring is yellow other than as an assembly aid. O ring looks fine. Not worn. Just the "paint". I would not worry about a few flakes as the filter will get them. I checked mine and is still yellow as it has only been removed once by me. Maybe a good sign of a few oil changes to show good maintenance!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Only one oil change Phil? How few miles do you have?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Only one oil change Phil? How few miles do you have?
Hi Jim,

Somewhere around 1800 miles for over 1½ years of ownership. Covid has not helped. It chases to Tucson some 30 miles once a month and once a week to the mailbox at the UPS store 1 mile away. Now it has accumulated about 3000 miies being towed behind my RV...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jgarrett

First Name
jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
FBI
Hi Jim,

Somewhere around 1800 miles for over 1½ years of ownership. Covid has not helped. It chases to Tucson some 30 miles once a month and once a week to the mailbox at the UPS store 1 mile away. Now it has accumulated about 3000 miies being towed behind my RV...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Like new! :like:

OP
OP
GhostStrykre

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hi Bowen,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
awesome! Great info. I didn’t think about the oil filter. I hadn’t considered the maintenance intervals up to 20k miles. That’s a reassuring thought on top of the engine being certified. My initial thought has been that the engine was getting really hot from being driven hard (I know it did some really light towing), but removal for maintenance makes more sense. Heat alone can’t “rub” this yellow off.

I really appreciate the response!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to say thanks again! Went ahead and bought this used 2019. I’m really elated about the purchase!
28EB85A8-0944-4FF3-809E-9E325BA0E064.jpeg
Whatever you do, don't look at any other threads in the forums. Otherwise, you be on the road to total financial ruin and ostracization because you will buy or not buy any and all things you never knew you needed.

For example, have you considered smoke lens side markers for the front fender?....muhahahah:devil:

Nice truck by the way, enjoy it! (what about a tailgate damper? - reported 20hp increase by some...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GhostStrykre

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Whatever you do, don't look at any other threads in the forums. Otherwise, you be on the road to total financial ruin and ostracization because you will buy or not buy any and all things you never knew you needed.

For example, have you considered smoke lens side markers for the front fender?....muhahahah:devil:

Nice truck by the way, enjoy it! (what about a tailgate damper? - reported 20hp increase by some...)
what?! the salesman definitely told me the ranger would gain 10hp annually if i left it alone, unmodified! i feel like a chump! :LOL:

but seriously thank you. i already know that ecoboost performance pack is happening! now i just need to see if i should just save up for a stage 2 performance pack from FPP, or by the parts of the pack at my own leisure... guess i have a lot of reading to do to knowledge up on suspension (i'm new to the idea/subject).

as for the tailgate dampers.................... how long is the average hold out? lol.. i haven't been around long, but i've already seen the shaming of the members of The Resistance yet to dampen their gates.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

as for the tailgate dampers.................... how long is the average hold out? lol.. i haven't been around long, but i've already seen the shaming of the members of The Resistance yet to dampen their gates.
As I can only speak for myself, give me liberty or give me the damper.:turkey:

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
as for the tailgate dampers.................... how long is the average hold out?
3 months for me (found this gem of a site in late April). What put me over the top was seeing it in action on a fellow soccer dad’s new Ranger. It was a little rusty but was apparently a transfer from his old F150. Worked well, I am sold.

edit: 4 months, can’t believe it’s ending August already...

OP
OP
GhostStrykre

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
3 months for me (found this gem of a site in late April). What put me over the top was seeing it in action on a fellow soccer dad’s new Ranger. It was a little rusty but was apparently a transfer from his old F150. Worked well, I am sold.

edit: 4 months, can’t believe it’s ending August already...
lol yeah. less than three weeks til the start of the NFL (theoretically).

is there an official ford part number for the damper? Or is it all third party stuff. I thought I saw a thread with a Ford part number but wasn’t sure if it was officially for the 19+ rangers.
Sponsored