Anyone Purchase a Courtesy Vehicle?

Munson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, Toyota
I've been in contact with about 7 dealers about purchasing a 2019 Ranger.
I got about 5 emails deep with one dealer before they told me the Ranger I was interested in was a Courtesy Vehicle--but the at the same price as other non-courtesy vehicles.
(Other dealers clearly identify trucks as "Courtesy" on their websites under the truck's "Status.")
The salesman said it is "new" as it has not been titled.
I understand that they can legally sell it as "new" but at the same it's intellectually dishonest to think of it as not being used.

Has anyone purchased a Courtesy Vehicle?
Sponsored

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I got about 5 emails deep with one dealer before they told me the Ranger I was interested in was a Courtesy Vehicle--but the at the same price as other non-courtesy vehicles.
(Other dealers clearly identify trucks as "Courtesy" on their websites under the truck's "Status.")
I understand that they can legally sell it as "new" but at the same it's intellectually dishonest to think of it as not being used.

I think for these the warranty does not kick in either until it's titled with your name on it, so if you buy it with 2k miles, the 36,000mi warranty actually covers you until 38,000. Usually they take a few bucks off to sell them though - a little odd if they aren't.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

If it has very low mile chances are their people used it or running errands. And not like it was given
I think for these the warranty does not kick in either until it's titled with your name on it, so if you buy it with 2k miles, the 36,000mi warranty actually covers you until 38,000. Usually they take a few bucks off to sell them though - a little odd if they aren't.
I've known people who bought curtisey or demo vehicles before and all had good luck with them. They can be anywhere from vehicles that were used by dealers to run errands, auto show cars, drive event vehicles that were driven event to event. And your correct. From what I've heard from those is that the warranty doesn't begin until the vehicle is registered for the first time.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I purchased the 2016 Focus as a demo, most of the 5000km was from the salesman who drove it home every night.
price was reduced and i asked for an oil change as a courtesy. other than the stupid clutch issues and a failed fuel pump its been a good car.
Are you referring to the dual-clutch transmission debacle?

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
We have bought a couple of courtesy cars in the past, but in both cases there was a couple of thousand price reduction from the new car prices.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OMG! You poor soul, has Ford finally found a resolution yet?
It was because of this issue that I had doubts about the Ranger's 10 speed "slushbox".

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I haven't but my brother bought his 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E AWD which was used in Sony's Hawaiian Open as a courtesy vehicle, it was deeply discounted and had amassed just under 1K miles.
Honda had loaned 6 vehicles total for this event held last January, 5 Oydessey's and a Ridgeline.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired

The 2014 Explorer we bought for my wife was a demo/courtesy with about 6,000 miles. We still have it, and no issues with it. The additional dealer discount was nice.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
I was offered one while I was negotiating for my Ranger. Declined it because I was afraid of the "rental car" factor, wasn't exactly what I was looking for, and the discount just wasn't steep enough to justify buying a "technically" used vehicle.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
My Ranger was a courtesy vehicle given to loyal customers of the dealership while they had their cars worked on. It was in this program until it got 2000 miles so I had to wait a couple days to get it. In my case a salesman's daughter drove most of the miles on it while her car was worked on. They didn't take anything off the price but like someone else said those miles don't count against warranty, lease ext... I did complain that there should be some taken off the price and they gave me a better lease price and a grand more for my trade-in.

My only worries about it is that as an engine builder and mechanic I have very specific ways of breaking in my engines so the fact I don't know how it was drove for the first 2000 miles does irritate me.Also there are 2 little dings in the door I didn't catch until I had it a few days. Other than that it's been a great truck and these cars only go to people the dealership trusts so I think in most cases they are just fine.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
OMG! You poor soul, has Ford finally found a resolution yet?
It was because of this issue that I had doubts about the Ranger's 10 speed "slushbox".
the 10 speed actually has 6 internal clutches and is quite different from the dual clutch 6 speed powershift in the Focus/Fiesta. The 10 speed seems like an amazing transmission so far but I could understand why ppl might be nervous as it is a new concept. All manufacturers have an epic fail every now and again but in the case of the 6 speed powershift Ford was in the wrong big time knowingly selling those cars with tranny problems and supposedly telling dealers to lie to customers that they were operating normally.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
the 10 speed actually has 6 internal clutches and is quite different from the dual clutch 6 speed powershift in the Focus/Fiesta. The 10 speed seems like an amazing transmission so far but I could understand why ppl might be nervous as it is a new concept. All manufacturers have an epic fail every now and again but in the case of the 6 speed powershift Ford was in the wrong big time knowingly selling those cars with tranny problems and supposedly telling dealers to lie to customers that they were operating normally.
The transmission is a relatively new concept, but not brand new in vehicles. The same transmission has been in the F-150 for 2-3 years now and has been in Mustangs as well. Since it was co-developed with GM, I think GM has it in a few vehicles as well.

From this wikipedia article it is in even more vehicles than I thought: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-GM_10-speed_automatic_transmission#Applications

10R80
General Motors[7]
10L80 MF6
10L90 MGL

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
yes i know it's been out a few years. As for GM they built a 9 speed and Ford built this 10 speed all in a joint program. Ford decided not to use GM's 9 speed but GM has this 10 speed in their Camaro ZL1 and the Cadillac CT6.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
yes i know it's been out a few years. As for GM they built a 9 speed and Ford built this 10 speed all in a joint program. Ford decided not to use GM's 9 speed but GM has this 10 speed in their Camaro ZL1 and the Cadillac CT6.
Yeah, the 9 speed was a transverse (FWD) trans and the 10 speed for RWD vehicles. My point was that it isn't really "new" - it has been in the wild for a few years now. That was one thing that gave me some peace of mind when ordering this truck - both the engine and trans are not really new - the engine is mostly the same as the Mustang, etc one and the trans is identical to the F-150 one. Less chance of a "first year production" issue.
Sponsored