Alternative to plastic clips that guard the oil filter in the wheel well?

Preaky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab
The plastic clips that we have to remove on fender piece in the wheel well to access the oil filter - gosh do I hate those things.

It would be preferable to not work with the plastic screw clips every oil change.

Anyone have an idea of a washer, nut and screw + adhesive to replace them?
Sponsored

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Rivnuts with a bolt and nylon washer? What does the attachment points look like? Could one install a rivnut?

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
nothing easy that still would not be a pain in the A**

my least fave part of the oil change. maybe if ford did 1/2 twist thumb screws...?

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I'm sure you could find a different type of plastic clip for the same diameter hole. I'm thinking about the ones that just have a plastic sleeve and a peg that you pry out instead of a screw that will eventually strip

HDR

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2017 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout(custom) / 2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2018 Ford Focus hatch

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
What you're after is a push clip that uses a simple flathead screwdriver to pull off instead of a "screw" type (that always suck).

When I had the 2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX, the front underbody tray was held on with 36 screw clips...... THIRTY SIX! Want to change the oil? Unscrew 36 plastic screw clips..... Dropped a tool onto the tray and can't reach it? Maybe only 20 screw clips.

Sooooooo, I converted to only using these and they held up perfectly and take about 3 seconds each to pop up and pull out of the hole. Of course, I bought authentic Mitsubishi ones that were an ungodly $3.49 for two.... But I no longer hated plastic panels that had clips.

push clips

51o3NRWQ5kL._AC_SL1100_[1].jpg

FULL DISCLOSURE: I do not know the ID of the holes on the wheel well splash shield, these clips may not fit, but the style of them is exactly what you are looking for!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I got fed up with those horrific screw clips as well. So I got some smallish square neodymium magnets that were just larger than the holes in the cover flap. Filled in the hole with black RTV sealant and then epoxied the magnets the the inside of the flap. The magnets easily hold the flap in place and to access it all I need to do is reach in and pull... When done push the flap back up and the magnets stick to the fender holding the cover flap in place.

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger FX2
Iā€™m about to dig out some dzus fasteners I have from working on Audi/VW. Itā€™s the fasteners they use for the belly pans. 1/4 turn and available in many lengths.
2630FBB7-EE08-48FE-AEBF-45E5550236CC.jpeg

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m about to dig out some dzus fasteners I have from working on Audi/VW. Itā€™s the fasteners they use for the belly pans. 1/4 turn and available in many lengths.
2630FBB7-EE08-48FE-AEBF-45E5550236CC.jpeg
Are those metal clips/pins aluminum? If not, i'd be worried about rusting out when used under a car.

If aluminum, woooooooooooooo, FANCY!!!! I like it!

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger FX2
Are those metal clips/pins aluminum? If not, i'd be worried about rusting out when used under a car.

If aluminum, woooooooooooooo, FANCY!!!! I like it!
Not aluminum. A plated steel fastener. The way they engage the mating clip, any rust isn't going to cause an issue. It's not that precise a fit, like a nut and bolt.

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not aluminum. A plated steel fastener. The way they engage the mating clip, any rust isn't going to cause an issue. It's not that precise a fit, like a nut and bolt.
Hmmmm, less excited. As somebody who tinkers on cars dating as far back as the 1940's, I know that plated steel is not a long term solution. Yes, just replace them every so often! But that doesn't seem to happen, realistically.

But i'm always up on the tetanus!

g 500 2.jpg

OP
OP

Preaky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab
I got fed up with those horrific screw clips as well. So I got some smallish square neodymium magnets that were just larger than the holes in the cover flap. Filled in the hole with black RTV sealant and then epoxied the magnets the the inside of the flap. The magnets easily hold the flap in place and to access it all I need to do is reach in and pull... When done push the flap back up and the magnets stick to the fender holding the cover flap in place.
Nice magnets.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Man, I love that!! I'm going to borrow your idea
Sponsored