Hey guys, would a tune installed help with my rough transmission shifts.

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've taking it to the dealer and was told it was normal. Something is just not right. I can feel vibrations in the floorboard under the gas pedal. I'm getting some hesitations through acceleration and hard shifts. Anybody else dealing with these issues, and if so how did you rectify it. Thanks, Glen
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I've taking it to the dealer and was told it was normal. Something is just not right. I can feel vibrations in the floorboard under the gas pedal. I'm getting some hesitations through acceleration and hard shifts. Anybody else dealing with these issues, and if so how did you rectify it. Thanks, Glen
How many miles on the truck? I would try a different dealer and see where you get.

If it's truly a concern, adding a tune is only going to complicate warranty support.

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles on the truck? I would try a different dealer and see where you get.

If it's truly a concern, adding a tune is only going to complicate warranty support.
2300 miles

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If I get the ford performance tune and have the dealer install it the warranty wouldn't be voided.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
If I get the ford performance tune and have the dealer install it the warranty wouldn't be voided.
True, but if it doesn't solve the problem you've now spent money and are right back where you started and with a shorter powertrain warranty...

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
True, but if it doesn't solve the problem you've now spent money and are right back where you started and with a shorter powertrain warranty...
So I'm the only one here dealing with this issue?

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm the only one here dealing with this issue?
I recommend requesting a ride along with someone from the service department at your dealership. That way you can point out your concerns, and they may be able to better discern the issue/s. If your dealer is not amiable to that, I’d suggest finding a different dealer. Good luck

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I will agree that a tune can help but be aware that even with the tune it does take up to 3,000 miles to smooth out. I have the tow tune from Livernois and it is awesome!! I just did two loads with a trailer as well yesterday and it did just fine.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Glen - definitely would get your issues sorted before looking to a tune. These 1080R transmissions all go through a "learning" process when new to optimize shifts based on your driving styles. It sounds like the potential issue here is that yours is not "learning" the way it should be, as typically this process only takes 1000 miles max. During this "learning" process it is not unusual to have rough shifts that are sometime made more noticeable by light throttle input and sudden acceleration.

While it is true that the Ford Perf tune along with many others does optimize the shift scheduling, it may not rectify an existing issue.

What I would suggest is along with the ridealong with a technician suggested above is have the dealer reflash/ reset the transmission, as doing so should in theory set the transmission back into "learn mode".

You definitely want zero kinks in your truck's performance before tuning.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Glen - definitely would get your issues sorted before looking to a tune. These 1080R transmissions all go through a "learning" process when new to optimize shifts based on your driving styles. It sounds like the potential issue here is that yours is not "learning" the way it should be, as typically this process only takes 1000 miles max. During this "learning" process it is not unusual to have rough shifts that are sometime made more noticeable by light throttle input and sudden acceleration.

While it is true that the Ford Perf tune along with many others does optimize the shift scheduling, it may not rectify an existing issue.

What I would suggest is along with the ridealong with a technician suggested above is have the dealer reflash/ reset the transmission, as doing so should in theory set the transmission back into "learn mode".

Best of luck!
Much appreciated

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

Best of luck!
any clue if this also applies to a new driver? i bought a use 2019 ranger and while it's by and large great, the shifts/transmission can act peculiar at times. wasn't sure if it'd ever smooth out. i don't have any hesitation or stutter, but the shifts are sometimes smooth, sometimes harsher. it just goes back and forth.

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
any clue if this also applies to a new driver? i bought a use 2019 ranger and while it's by and large great, the shifts/transmission can act peculiar at times. wasn't sure if it'd ever smooth out. i don't have any hesitation or stutter, but the shifts are sometimes smooth, sometimes harsher. it just goes back and forth.
Much appreciated bud. Truck just turned 2500 miles and is shifting so much better, so I'm assuming its learned my driving style

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unfortunately that is the general nature of the 10 speed in these trucks. When I installed the performance tune and tow tune in MT truck the transmission had to relearn itself and me. Some days i hardly feel the transmission, other days I feel it. I think it really comes down to if i let it warm up first and how hard i get on it. After a few thousand miles(yes it took that long even when i bought it new) the transmission was as soft as it was going to get.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
If you’re a conservative driver, the transmission shifts to keep the engine RPM very low, sometimes below 1500, and I notice quite a bit of vibration (almost lugging) at low RPM. This is great for fuel economy, but I find it annoying. I can smooth it out immediately by enabling Tow/Haul mode, which increases RPM. Sport Mode will do the same but revs much higher in each gear than in Tow/Haul.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you’re a conservative driver, the transmission shifts to keep the engine RPM very low, sometimes below 1500, and I notice quite a bit of vibration (almost lugging) at low RPM. This is great for fuel economy, but I find it annoying. I can smooth it out immediately by enabling Tow/Haul mode, which increases RPM. Sport Mode will do the same but revs much higher in each gear than in Tow/Haul.
I wouldn't quite say that it is lugging the engine but more of the natural harmonics of a 4 cylinder. Still annoying but I'm pretty sure it come down to the nature of things.
Sponsored