Bed rail height?

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Magnum RT (345 V8), 1971 Buick Riviera (455 V8)
Modern truck bed sides have gotten so tall that I cannot reach over them. I’m 5’9” and most full size trucks have beds that are as tall as my shoulders. The old ranger was as tall as my elbow and made reaching into the bed very easy. I often carry car parts for restoration projects I’m working on so not haveing to climb into the bed every time I need something is a must.
I looked in the specs but didn’t see one for bed rail height (or maybe I’m blind). Can anyone tell me the height on 4x2 rangers?
Anyone else annoyed by this? I think it has to do with aerodynamics. Less distance from bed rail to roof is better for aerodynamics. I’m used to old trucks or the ‘65 Chevy stepside I had where it was real easy to step and reach.
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Modern truck bed sides have gotten so tall that I cannot reach over them. I’m 5’9” and most full size trucks have beds that are as tall as my shoulders. The old ranger was as tall as my elbow and made reaching into the bed very easy. I often carry car parts for restoration projects I’m working on so not haveing to climb into the bed every time I need something is a must.
I looked in the specs but didn’t see one for bed rail height (or maybe I’m blind). Can anyone tell me the height on 4x2 rangers?
Anyone else annoyed by this? I think it has to do with aerodynamics. Less distance from bed rail to roof is better for aerodynamics. I’m used to old trucks or the ‘65 Chevy stepside I had where it was real easy to step and reach.
You can add aftermarket side steps to most trucks so you can step up and then reach into the bed.

OP
OP

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can add aftermarket side steps to most trucks so you can step up and then reach into the bed.
Their is not enough room between the rear door and tire to mount a step right there. If I used a step from the door it would require twisting and balancing. Can’t do that while trying to grab a 20 lb starter motor from the bed.

OP
OP

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the replies but I’m really just curious to find out how tall the bed sides are. If they are too tall I will lower the truck if possible. It is much more convenient than having to unfold a step or setting heavy objects at the end of the bed where they will slide forward and dent the bed the first time I hit the brakes.

OP
OP

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mentioned lowering so I will probably get some hate, but I just want the same easy usability of the old ranger. I’ve looked at the Canyon/Colorado and they are jacked up way too high.
I restore classic cars and often put various heavy and greasy parts in the back and need to make many stops at junk yards and parts stores to compare a part to either fix or fabricate a replacement. So having to open the tailgate and climb in multiple times a day is not time efficient.

Last edited:

blackdog

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 f150 flareside
https://www.realtruck.com/decked-tr...chpNfuGT3G4jS_rqvlLXYnU-R1xKEGXRoCQfQQAvD_BwE
I mentioned lowering so I will probably get some hate, but I just want the same easy usability of the old ranger. I’ve looked at the Canyon/Colorado and they are jacked up way too high.
I restore classic cars and often put various heavy and greasy parts in the back and need to make many stops at junk yards and parts stores to compare a part to either fix or fabricate a replacement. So having to open the tailgate and climb in multiple times a day is not time efficient.
these might be a solution for you without having to lower the truck. drawers slide out and you can put things on top that will be easier to reach from the sides

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Have you looked into a Ford Transit Van? The load height is only 29”, which should be lower than the Ranger’s bed height.

Edit: 4x2 Ranger bed height is about 34”, so it’s almost 1/2 foot higher.

OP
OP

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Mark Allen made a big deal of this at the Jeep Gladiator display during the auto show. They specifically made the Gladiator bed rails short enough to allow reaching fully into the bed. He's under 6' tall, and was still able to reach over and put his hand flat on the load floor of the bed. That's with factory 33" tires. Very nice.

I wish Ford and GM would think like this.

OP
OP

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mark Allen made a big deal of this at the Jeep Gladiator display during the auto show. They specifically made the Gladiator bed rails short enough to allow reaching fully into the bed. He's under 6' tall, and was still able to reach over and put his hand flat on the load floor of the bed. That's with factory 33" tires. Very nice.

I wish Ford and GM would think like this.
Maybe a Jeep in my future. But those power window switches on the center console instead of the door drive me crazy. I’m hard to please!

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Maybe a Jeep in my future. But those power window switches on the center console instead of the door drive me crazy. I’m hard to please!
Haha yep! But that's the price you pay to be able to remove all the doors in minutes!

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Bed is super deep with the high bed walls. I don't have a problem with the ability to carry more stuff, but I imagine it can be hard to reach over.

From Up close with the 2019 Ford Ranger

2019-ford-ranger-usa-12.jpg

Last edited:

mjbrow

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GTI
Bed is super deep with the high bed walls. I don't have a problem with the ability to carry more stuff, but I imagine it can be hard to reach over.

From Up close with the 2019 Ford Ranger

2019-ford-ranger-usa-12.jpg
Is there any info on the actual bed height? Bottom of bed to top of rails? Or to top of the cab, if someone is planning on installing a flush truck cap?
Sponsored