First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
My wife kills my MPG. she likes to think she is a better driver but she stomps the accelerator and brake pedal, and if she drives a lot I notice the MPG decrease. Her 2018 Kia sorennto gets worse mileage compared to my Ranger because of her driving style.

I didn't think to check until she borrowed my truck one day and the my kids where like go fast up hill like mommy.

come to find out she would floor it up the hills.

Mine too. I average 24.5-26.8 mpg overall per tank on a 5* 93 Performance tune. She drove it for a few weeks while her car was getting the engine replaced due to an oil pump failure (Santa Fe). Her average.. 18.1 mpg... With more freeway miles than I usually put in at that.
Sponsored

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
I averaged about 25mpg in my 2019 2WD, and am averaging about 23.5 in my 2021 4WD.
But I drive like an old man (because I are one!).
Always wondered about mpg differences between 2wd & 4wd models. Thanks for sharing. Average mpg on my supercab 2wd stays around 24mpg (80% highway/20% city)

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Always wondered about mpg differences between 2wd & 4wd models. Thanks for sharing. Average mpg on my supercab 2wd stays around 24mpg (80% highway/20% city)
50 miles a day, 6 days a week with approxiimately the same percentage of hwy/city driving as you. All flat land, here in the PHX area.
XLT SCrew Sport

Deleted member 1634

I only ever use maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the peddle at any given moment, even accelerating onto the freeway. That's plenty to get up to speed in a reasonable time/distance. Might use 1/2 the peddle rarely when towing, but usually tow/haul mode keeps the revs high enough to not need it.

Summer Highway: 26-28mpg
Summer City: 22-24mpg
Winter Highway 24-26mpg
Winter City: 16-20mpg (depending how far below 0F it gets, definitely sucks a lot of fuel at -40F)

So I'm quite happy to be beating the EPA ratings, same as I have in every other vehicles I've ever owned.

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Same here, I get far worse. On the positive side, my wife's Subaru Forester gets about 2 miles to the gallon better than the 33 average on the sticker. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ranger but Ford isn't known for having the best integrity.
At all. Amen and awoman lol ???

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm happy with my mpg. Averaging 22 with a level, larger tires and tuned. Let's face it we didn't buy our Rangers because they have the best mpg out there did we? ? But for a mid size truck I think it's pretty darn good mileage if you stay out of the boost. Plus it's nice to have that power if/when you need it, not like a Taco which falls flat on its face.?

Screenshot 2022-03-02 at 5.07.55 PM.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I did. It's not precisely the best fuel economy. But it rates highly up there.
Sure it rates up there but my point was if we were all looking for good mpg we'd have bought a small - mid size car. All these trucks are close (within a couple mpg) of each other with Nissan usually being one of the worst. At least they use to be not sure on the newer ones.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Sure it rates up there but my point was if we were all looking for good mpg we'd have bought a small - mid size car. All these trucks are close (within a couple mpg) of each other with Nissan usually being one of the worst. At least they use to be not sure on the newer ones.
I may not use mpg as my primary criteria, but I do use it to help rank my options.

In my case, I was looking for a midsized pickup. fuel economy of the ranger pushed it up the list before I ever drove one. the fact that I get better than the rated economy makes me even happier.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I may not use mpg as my primary criteria, but I do use it to help rank my options.

In my case, I was looking for a midsized pickup. fuel economy of the ranger pushed it up the list before I ever drove one. the fact that I get better than the rated economy makes me even happier.
Funny because mpg is so far down my list when I'm looking for a truck. lol I mean I don't want to drive something that gets 14 mpg but there's so many other things I look for like the drivetrain, seating comfort, tech stuff, bed size and cargo capacity. Good mpg is just a bonus. ?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I still only get about 19 mpg combined in my 2021 supercab, despite 70% HW miles and gentle driving...

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
My wife kills my MPG. she likes to think she is a better driver but she stomps the accelerator and brake pedal, and if she drives a lot I notice the MPG decrease. Her 2018 Kia sorennto gets worse mileage compared to my Ranger because of her driving style.

I didn't think to check until she borrowed my truck one day and the my kids where like go fast up hill like mommy.

come to find out she would floor it up the hills.
Yeah, LOL!!!! No, my wife is pretty relax too, so? She might be a little heavy
off the stop signs. She says I use all the gas because I'll go WOT to red line
once the engine is ready, just because it's fun & I know she babied it.
And no, I don't do WOT all the time, maybe once a week to clean it out, after that it's old man mode. MPG is always in the equation when looking at new vehicles. If this had 15mpg on the sign I'm not sure I would have bought.
With 9.8/10.7/11.8l per 100km(24-20mpg) on sticker I was expecting to average 22mpg.
Just filled up, 15mpg again. When is that PHEV coming out?!?!?!?!?

Deleted member 1634

Funny because mpg is so far down my list when I'm looking for a truck. lol I mean I don't want to drive something that gets 14 mpg but there's so many other things I look for like the drivetrain, seating comfort, tech stuff, bed size and cargo capacity. Good mpg is just a bonus. ?
Same as @mtbikernate. MPG is one of the highest criteria on my list. I drive over 20k miles a year, so a difference of 1-2mpg really adds up in money saved.
Any midsize truck can do what I need functionally (payload, towing, off-roading, bed functionality, storage, range, etc.). Heck, even the Ranger isn't the best in class for some of those things.
I don't care about how something looks. I don't even think the Ranger is the best looking in class.
I don't care about HP/torque numbers, any truck in this class has plenty for me, and for basically everyone else if they really thought logically about it.
Every truck feels basically the same driving down the road, especially when coming from a small crossover. Almost to the point that test drives are becoming not needed for me to choose anymore.
Every vehicle has it's own quirks and feels, I just adapt and get used to it.
There's a lot I'll compromise on for good fuel economy and saving money.

I chose a midsize truck because it was the smallest thing to get the things done I needed. Now that the Maverick exists, I have been considering that for my next vehicle, if the mileage is the best when the time comes. The only reasons I chose the Ranger over any other midsize truck are best in class fuel economy and because I get Z-plan pricing. Otherwise, I would've gotten something else and surely have been just as happy as I am right now.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Same as @mtbikernate. MPG is one of the highest criteria on my list. I drive over 20k miles a year, so a difference of 1-2mpg really adds up in money saved.
Any midsize truck can do what I need functionally (payload, towing, off-roading, bed functionality, storage, range, etc.). Heck, even the Ranger isn't the best in class for some of those things.
I don't care about how something looks. I don't even think the Ranger is the best looking in class.
I don't care about HP/torque numbers, any truck in this class has plenty for me, and for basically everyone else if they really thought logically about it.
Every truck feels basically the same driving down the road, especially when coming from a small crossover. Almost to the point that test drives are becoming not needed for me to choose anymore.
Every vehicle has it's own quirks and feels, I just adapt and get used to it.
There's a lot I'll compromise on for good fuel economy and saving money.

I chose a midsize truck because it was the smallest thing to get the things done I needed. Now that the Maverick exists, I have been considering that for my next vehicle, if the mileage is the best when the time comes. The only reasons I chose the Ranger over any other midsize truck are best in class fuel economy and because I get Z-plan pricing. Otherwise, I would've gotten something else and surely have been just as happy as I am right now.
Very much a lot of this. The deal I got on the particular truck I bought at the time I was in the market was probably the most important criteria for me.

Looks are another thing I look at, but lower priority. Ranger ranked well enough there, but it's not one of those things I'm going to nitpick over because of small appearance issues. I treat this one as more of a "big picture" criteria.

Fuel economy was probably second before I got to see/touch the truck in person. I feel like test drives have a level of importance. Moreso to see how the vehicle "fits" with the layout of the controls and the feel of the touch points than with everything under the hood, really.

I came to the Ranger from underpowered economy cars (and a 98 Ranger 4 banger manual trans a long time ago), so just about anything would have felt quick and powerful to me. The way the engine/transmission work together under different scenarios didn't really come together for me until after I had owned it for quite awhile.

At times, the Ranger does as good, or nearly as good, on gas as some of the economy cars I've owned in the past. The 07 Honda Fit I owned before the Ranger didn't do that much better on gas. It's even closer to the wife's Subie on fuel economy.

The Maverick suits most of my uses just fine. But it didn't exist when I was buying. I'm not one to constantly trade in vehicles, though. I'll keep 'em until I pay them off, and then drive them for awhile. Wife and I have a bit of a system going where we try to have at most one car payment at a time and that helps the monthly cashflow a lot better. So, I'm keeping the Ranger for now even though other things might suit a bit better. I'm NOT a heavy driver. I've only just got 20k on the clock of my 2019 Ranger and I've owned it for almost 2yrs. A big chunk of those miles were from one week last summer, and I was getting about 29mpg for most of them.
Sponsored