RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
$542 for a bit of rope and a couple of what look to be plastic pieces to bolt on to your wheels? That seems like a ripoff to me. I kind of like the idea. Something you could do if you got stuck but didn't have a winch. But for that price, you could buy a real winch.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'd like to elaborate a bit, but that was my initial reaction.

You can get an 8000# Harbor Freight winch for 320USD, add the replacement plan, and no worries. If you added a front receiver, and some welding cable, you'd be well under the cost of the almost 500$ bush winch.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I agree but what if you don't have a bumper that can hold a winch? I'm not an advocate but this product is not new and must have a consumer base...maybe not for everyone but I thought it's a clever idea for extraction...at least they think so down under...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I agree but what if you don't have a bumper that can hold a winch? I'm not an advocate but this product is not new and must have a consumer base...maybe not for everyone but I thought it's a clever idea for extraction...at least they think so down under...
As long as you have a receiver hitch, I would get a receiver mount. I've thought of it, but my tow straps and come-along have worked OK for me thus far. If you don't have a receiver hitch, I guess you are out of luck. :)

That just seems like a AWFUL lot of money for what you get. If It was $100 or $150 that seems more reasonable to me.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I can see that turning into a tangled up mess in a hurry, definitely not something I’ll be buying!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've actually used a tow strap looped through the spokes on a wheel and spooled around the tire to extract a car that was stuck in snow, so I know the concept is at least somewhat viable. However, it was tedious, and I had to ride the brakes and rely on the brake LSD (FWD performance car with such a feature) more than I wanted to.

Would have worked better if I could have wrapped both wheels, but you still have the possibility of a load imbalance that could end up turning you sideways.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It appears this has been around for a few years and they're on second or third generation of design so someone is finding it useful...here's what looks to be their earlier design...

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
Nope very limited use item. Its ok on straight line pulls getting through a mud hole. If you are sliding into trees or rocks then you need to pull yourself away from that obstacle. The ropes have to be anchored straight ahead from each wheel you don't get a lot of defection and they are only good for shallow mud I learned to use this in the Army and I'll tell you there are easier ways.
The "High Lift Jack" not a cheap rip off with chains straps, clevis and some 18x4x4 blocks with a shovel axe and a bow saw imho should be the first pieces of recovery gear someone should purchase you can. I carry one in my truck with a Lug All come-along.
As for cheap winch's I will not buy one. Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply Northern Tool brand winch's are OK if there is another winch or recovery equipment around I have seen major failures from these brands and when you need it and it is fubar the warranty doesn't do you much good. I finished pulling a Jeep out when his gears in his Badlands winch decided they weren't up to the task.
Maybe this was more then you wanted to know but make sure you have the right equipment and supplies any time you go off road and let someone know where you are and when to expect you back.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
this seems like something that would be good for peace of mind hanging out in the back of your truck, if you're not trying to get into any serious 4wd terrain and don't want to modify your truck, but still want to explore a little.

definitely not something I would ever want to plan on using on a regular basis.
Sponsored