First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
One cool thing is that coverage is excellent. Even though it is ATT, I think it is under the same configuration as data backup systems for commercial businesses, which means it could be using a non-ATT network for signal, although you would never know it, other than to observe a lack of signal on another nearby ATT cellular phone.
The receiver is driven by a higher wattage than what is normally available to a standard handset I believe and allows it to both send and receive much better. Again it really helps since it works on a different network than our own phone and we can call over wifi with our system.
Sponsored

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
I recently activated mine for a 4 hour trip so my kids could watch Netflix on the way. It worked flawless the whole trip, even in an area where I always get little to no coverage for about 20 miles. I've never gotten a strong consistent stream using my cellphone as a hotspot in the same scenario. Even in good reception areas I would occasionally get buffering when using my phone hotspot.

OP
OP
Nathan289

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
I recently activated mine for a 4 hour trip so my kids could watch Netflix on the way. It worked flawless the whole trip, even in an area where I always get little to no coverage for about 20 miles. I've never gotten a strong consistent stream using my cellphone as a hotspot in the same scenario. Even in good reception areas I would occasionally get buffering when using my phone hotspot.
If i wasnt stuck using at&t I'd actually activate it.. but i refuse to use at&t..
Too bad Ford limits their customers to one carrier.. oh well

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
its only a matter of time before this can be possible. I know there is an IMEI number assigned to the device therefore it has a phone number...and if it has a phone number then it can likely be transferred to another carrier. THE ONLY issue I see is getting to the actual "modem" to get the sim card out since most ATT devices are sim-card equipped...and that may be the possible issue...perhaps its hard-wired and no removable?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
its only a matter of time before this can be possible. I know there is an IMEI number assigned to the device therefore it has a phone number...and if it has a phone number then it can likely be transferred to another carrier. THE ONLY issue I see is getting to the actual "modem" to get the sim card out since most ATT devices are sim-card equipped...and that may be the possible issue...perhaps its hard-wired and no removable?
SIM cards are mostly going away, replaced by eSIM. I'd be very surprised if there was a simple way to swap a card in a ford and have it use a different network.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
If i wasnt stuck using at&t I'd actually activate it.. but i refuse to use at&t..
Too bad Ford limits their customers to one carrier.. oh well
Dying to know why the extreme animosity towards AT&T; I feel the same about Comcast.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Think they got a separate plan if you don’t already have service with them. I’m guessing but if I remember right it was like $25 a month
$25 a month is correct, just pay by month.

There was a $20 a month offer when you first sign up, but if you decline it, it goes away.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Most people have cell phones that have a data plan. A lot of phones even a built in hotspot. I have 10GB hotspot plan with my phone.
I can't think of a single reason to continue that subscription past the trial.
$20/$25 isn't bad for unlimited data, but there would have to be a need for it in a vehicle.

Likewise, a few years ago, AT&T did make this unlimited hotspot as a standalone product. It was called an unlimited car connect plan. This perhaps was more useful that it embedded in the vehicle.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Most people have cell phones that have a data plan. A lot of phones even a built in hotspot. I have 10GB hotspot plan with my phone.
I can't think of a single reason to continue that subscription past the trial.
$20/$25 isn't bad for unlimited data, but there would have to be a need for it in a vehicle.

Likewise, a few years ago, AT&T did make this unlimited hotspot as a standalone product. It was called an unlimited car connect plan. This perhaps was more useful that it embedded in the vehicle.
The way AT&T works their plans is if you finance the phone through them in monthly payments hotspot access is additional to ‘unlock’ it. If you own the phone and just paying for service then hotspot is unlocked. Once you’re paid off it will automatically become available.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
The way AT&T works their plans is if you finance the phone through them in monthly payments hotspot access is additional to ‘unlock’ it. If you own the phone and just paying for service then hotspot is unlocked. Once you’re paid off it will automatically become available.
AT&T sucks here. Verizon works a lot better. My phone is prepaid and has hotspot.
Total Wireless = 2 lines = $60 - 30 GB data and 10GB hotspot per line.

OP
OP
Nathan289

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Dying to know why the extreme animosity towards AT&T; I feel the same about Comcast.
Probably the same reason you dont like Comcast.. which is another company that wont see a dime of my money

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Probably the same reason you dont like Comcast.. which is another company that wont see a dime of my money
No better than Charter/Spectrum........... But if that's the only choice in your neighborhood.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
AT&T sucks here. Verizon works a lot better. My phone is prepaid and has hotspot.
Total Wireless = 2 lines = $60 - 30 GB data and 10GB hotspot per line.
We’re on an AT&T family plan that’s about 15 years old now. They’re trying hard to get us off it but... We’re paying $265 a month for unlimited and no throttling for 7 phones. So it works out to about $39 a month for each device.
Sponsored