Which Running Boards/Side Steps did you purchase?

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Heard back from the seller. They said the rubber pad was eliminated as part of a redesign, and the marketing department hasn't yet gotten caught up on changing all the variations of the listing.
I bought the Rhino RB20's and love them. They make a version of these (and most of their other models) that have the Line-X type of bedliner on them for durability and traction. They're pricey, but if it's that important to you then it's worth it.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/6...ab-Go-Rhino-RB20-Bedlined-Running-Boards.html
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I bought the Rhino RB20's and love them. They make a version of these (and most of their other models) that have the Line-X type of bedliner on them for durability and traction. They're pricey, but if it's that important to you then it's worth it.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/6...ab-Go-Rhino-RB20-Bedlined-Running-Boards.html
I decided to just keep the ones I got. I'm disappointed, but the seller owned up to the error in their listing and gave me a partial refund. If traction becomes an issue, I'll coat them with spray-on bedliner myself.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
I've read this thread with great interest so thanks for starting it. :like:

Okay.. I hope this question doesn't upset anyone: :lipssealed: How many people actually use the running board for getting in and out of the truck and how many just get dirt on the back of the calf every time you enter/exit?

The reason I ask is that I have the stock version on my X3 and find I don't use them and just get dirt on my pants each time I enter/exit so I'm interested in a version that would be functional but also if I chose not to use them they're recessed enough that I don't rub against it on entry/exit? (I also don't want to spend 2K on automatic lower/raise ones)

Cheers! ?

Reactions: Doc

SuperBford

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
education

Okay.. I hope this question doesn't upset anyone: :lipssealed: How many people actually use the running board for getting in and out of the truck and how many just get dirt on the back of the calf every time you enter/exit?

The reason I ask is that I have the stock version on my X3 and find I don't use them and just get dirt on my pants each time I enter/exit so I'm interested in a version that would be functional but also if I chose not to use them they're recessed enough that I don't rub against it on entry/exit? (I also don't want to spend 2K on automatic lower/raise ones)

Cheers! ?
I don't, unless I'm washing the top of the truck... but my wife, daughter and mom use them to get in and out of the truck.

I have just have the Ford ones that came with my XLT with the Black appearance package. They work great and look good in my opinion.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

Cheers! ?
James, if it were just me I wouldn't bother with side steps. The wife, and I test drove one without so I could make an educated decision on the need for them. I was fine, but my vertically challenged wife needs them. So, side steps went on my must have list. I knew I wasn't going to pay 635 bucks for the Ford ones though.

To help you with your question I bought a 2011 F-150 off the lot, and it had Ford rails on it. The rails were tucked in almost to far to be used. I found I was hitting the lower part of the rocker panels when I was getting in the truck. The TAC bars I bought are designed to be adjusted by 1" in, or out if you think would help you. BTW, I know what you mean about getting dirt on your pants legs, so I made a conscious effort to use the rails when getting out. That worked for me, plus it kept me from dragging my big rear end over the seat bolster, and wearing it out prematurely. :)

Last edited:

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director

Cheers! ?
I bought mine for two reasons - my wife is short and she kept getting dirty trying to get in without the board, and I am also height challenged and had to slide my right asscheek over the seat bolster to get in. I had this on a previous vehicle and was surprised at how quickly the bolster gave out from me sliding in and out. So the board is used primarily to keep me from sliding across the seat, ruining the seat. It also helps when cleaning :)

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Anyone purchase the 4” APS iBoards on the super crew? Worried the 5” & 6” will be too wide/stick out too much. If you have pictures of any sized iboard I’d appreciate you posting them. Thanks!

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Happy with the black OEM running boards. Look good and nice grip when wet. I got them with my points (didn't cover the entire cost) for the kiddos a few days after I got the truck.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Anyone purchase the 4” APS iBoards on the super crew? Worried the 5” & 6” will be too wide/stick out too much. If you have pictures of any sized iboard I’d appreciate you posting them. Thanks!
I got the 5" APS iBoards. I fretted over the width for quite a while before purchasing but in the end am really happy with what I got. I'll try to remember to snap a couple pictures later. Feel free to poke me if I forget.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
I got the 5" APS iBoards. I fretted over the width for quite a while before purchasing but in the end am really happy with what I got. I'll try to remember to snap a couple pictures later. Feel free to poke me if I forget.
Thanks…if you can get one looking down the side of the truck too. Do the running boards have non slip tread on them?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I just got these off Amazon:
Tyger Auto TG-BL2F7318 Blade Running Boards Fit 2019-2022 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Cab (78" Long & 6.6" Wide)

20220101_114606.jpg

20220101_124533.jpg

20220101_124546.jpg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Thanks…if you can get one looking down the side of the truck too. Do the running boards have non slip tread on them?
Pictures below. (My truck is a truck and therefore is dirty...but holy cow even as a truck it's time for a bath...)

Other than the grooves, there's no additional nonstick texturing of any kind. When I placed my order, the product description said there was a rubber pad on the surface, but communication with the seller after I received them revealed that the design had changed to remove the rubber and the listing hadn't yet been updated. I haven't had any issues with slipping, but I do wonder if I had a coating of packed snow on the bottom of my boots if those grooves might become tracks that just carry my feet down the length of the step.

Like I said before, I have the 5" step, which is a really good size for me. I think I would have been just as happy, or at least close to as happy, with the 4" version, but I think the 6" version would have been too wide for what I was looking for.

20220106_082615.jpg
20220106_082624.jpg
20220106_082631.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I haven't had any issues with slipping, but I do wonder if I had a coating of packed snow on the bottom of my boots if those grooves might become tracks that just carry my feet down the length of the step.
I bet they would. The OEM steps do that to me. With my driveway on a decent grade, I have to be very careful when climbing into the truck after it's been snowy/icy.

It's for this reason primarily that I've considered replacing them with rock sliders that have bigger gaps for mud/snow to pass through, and even getting them rhino lined for additional grip.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
Pictures below. (My truck is a truck and therefore is dirty...but holy cow even as a truck it's time for a bath...)

Other than the grooves, there's no additional nonstick texturing of any kind. When I placed my order, the product description said there was a rubber pad on the surface, but communication with the seller after I received them revealed that the design had changed to remove the rubber and the listing hadn't yet been updated. I haven't had any issues with slipping, but I do wonder if I had a coating of packed snow on the bottom of my boots if those grooves might become tracks that just carry my feet down the length of the step.

Like I said before, I have the 5" step, which is a really good size for me. I think I would have been just as happy, or at least close to as happy, with the 4" version, but I think the 6" version would have been too wide for what I was looking for.

20220106_082615.jpg
20220106_082624.jpg
20220106_082631.jpg
Good info and great pictures. Much appreciated! ??
Sponsored