2019 Ranger XLT 4x4

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
Question: Does or can that aluminum cover go over the foam OEM cover?? Or is it a complete replacement for the foam?? (foam seems good at noise suppression and obviously keeping the water out of the spark plug wells... just needs armor plating... )
It's a complete replacement

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just opened my hood and found this mess ...
IMG_1471.jpeg

Can't remember the last time I checked under the hood, but probably only a few days!! I refilled the washer fluid about a week ago and did not see this!!

Any idea how to kill/prevent what ever is doing this?

Ken
2019 Ranger Lariat
Rodent!!!!

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've never seen rodents eat covers like that before in a week or two. Question is what are oils are they using to make the covers that the rodents/squirrels are so attracted to? Peanut oil or sunflower seed oils?
Sushi wrap!!!

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just opened my hood and found this mess ...
IMG_1471.jpeg

Can't remember the last time I checked under the hood, but probably only a few days!! I refilled the washer fluid about a week ago and did not see this!!

Any idea how to kill/prevent what ever is doing this?

Ken
2019 Ranger Lariat
I used peppermint oil and cotton balls with a metal can and got myself a magnet at Harbour freight tools. Rats don't like the smell of peppermint oil.

Screenshot_20240524_075115_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240524_075240_Gallery.jpg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
How often are you replacing/re-spraying the cotton balls?
I reapply every 3 or 4 weeks in summer and maybe every 5 or 6 in winter. I spray some balsam sachels and directly on wiring, hood insulation engine cover, battery blanket, pretty much everything.

I use peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, and cayenne extracts.

I buy the ready made sprays and fortify them with those extracts. I try to mixup what I spray so that it's not always the same.

I dunno if it actually does anything. I started spraying after they chewed through my battery tender wiring and gnawed some of the battery blanket. I haven't seen damage since.

But I do use an air gun and blow under the engine cover regularly and sometimes acorn shells fly out. I also leave my hood open a few times a month when it's sunny.

Good luck!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
I reapply every 3 or 4 weeks in summer and maybe every 5 or 6 in winter. I spray some balsam sachels and directly on wiring, hood insulation engine cover, battery blanket, pretty much everything.

I buy the ready made sprays and fortify them with those extracts. I try to mixup what I spray so that it's not always the same.

I dunno if it actually does anything. I started spraying after they chewed through my battery tender wiring and gnawed some of the battery blanket. I haven't seen damage since.

But I do use an air gun and blow under the engine cover regularly and sometimes acorn shells fly out. I also leave my hood open a few times a month when it's sunny.

Good luck!
All those critters are probably hanging out at the dump. When they see Soupie drive in, they all think "FOOD TRUCK" and scramble to hop aboard for a ride home for a gourmet meal !!!

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor

Good luck!
You keeping mice away or making dinner here?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase