Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure a new intake system would offer much gain. The stock has a good sized inlet and appears well designed. I'll be getting the K&N filter soon.
What do they claim the new TCM adds?

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not sure if things are different for the 2.3L but with the 3.5L Ecoboost the only gains seemed to be the stock setup with a drop-in filter, and those gains were minimal. Aftermarket cold air intakes did nothing on that engine, even with a bunch of other bolt-on mods. The guys on another ecoboost forum were really trying to push their SHOs to the limits and they spent a lot of time on dynos to test all the options.

At around 600hp (turbos, meth injection, etc) they hit a wall, because the stock fuel system was maxed out, and when I stopped following their efforts they were trying to come up with some sort of port injection to address that.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Not sure if things are different for the 2.3L but with the 3.5L Ecoboost the only gains seemed to be the stock setup with a drop-in filter, and those gains were minimal. Aftermarket cold air intakes did nothing on that engine, even with a bunch of other bolt-on mods. The guys on another ecoboost forum were really trying to push their SHOs to the limits and they spent a lot of time on dynos to test all the options.

At around 600hp (turbos, meth injection, etc) they hit a wall, because the stock fuel system was maxed out, and when I stopped following their efforts they were trying to come up with some sort of port injection to address that.
I put a K&N CAI on my 2015 Explorer Sport and when it was wrecked I snatched it off before the car went to the scrap yard and installed it on my 2017 Sport. The performance difference from stock air cleaner was negligible. Other Sport owners reported that just replacing the stock element with a replacement K&N element produces the sane results as the CAI.
I plan on replacing the Stock Element on my new Ranger with the K&N replacement and forgoing the CAI...

OP
OP
Mustang2Ranger

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I am forgoing the CAI system as well, only the drop-in for me. For the reasons discussed above (negligible gains) and for offroading. I don't want to try and cross a river and suck in water with the CAI

Here is the link to the TCM. They don't seem to be claiming it adds any power, just better response. See the reviews. Tempting
https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=20-2599

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Here comes the angry hornets :)

More flow = more dirt, great for engines getting rebuilt every 25 passes, not so good for something that's going to go 200K miles.

The only thing you will see with a less restrictive filter on a turbo motor is faster spool. If the filter is restricted enough to hurt performance after initial spool, the turbo is going to suck it through the intake tube (I've seen it when a mouse makes a nest in the intake box, the turbo sucks the filter into the tube until the engine chokes out).

At the best case you will polish your turbo vanes prematurely and reduce performance, worst case is something will fail.

The TCM just messes with the pedal position, I'd rather do a tune than have something actively messing with the OBDII signals.

Last edited:

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I think I’ll just stick with the stock air box/filter, even if I get a tune and do some mild bolt-on mods in the future. It seems like you’d need to make some pretty significant performance upgrades before there is a need to modify the intake.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I think I’ll just stick with the stock air box/filter, even if I get a tune and do some mild bolt-on mods in the future. It seems like you’d need to make some pretty significant performance upgrades before there is a need to modify the intake.
Just look at the filter that the 350HP Focus RS comes with. Ours is shorter, and fatter than that, and has a panel filter instead of a paper cone. Should actually flow more.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Okay..not to malign K&N... the important metric on air filters is the number of grams of dirt the filter will hold. Aftermarket filters of a performance nature do not hold as much as a norm filter. This translates to more frequent filter changes. For me, I will stick with OEM filters as they were tested rigously.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have 280k miles on a 17 year old Tundra and have had a K&N direct replacement filter since 19k miles. Not sure about any gas mileage or performance improvements, but it sure has saved me some money over the years by not having to buy new air filters. That said, I think I'll stick with a disposable filter with my Ranger.

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
The only time I noticed a difference between the stock filter and a K&N was when I installed one on my '98 Dakota V6 4x2 supercab truck. There is one hill here in town that is fairly steep. With the stock filter, the truck seemed to struggle to make it up the hill. With the K&N, it took the hill with more power.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Here comes the angry hornets :)

More flow = more dirt, great for engines getting rebuilt every 25 passes, not so good for something that's going to go 200K miles.

The only thing you will see with a less restrictive filter on a turbo motor is faster spool. If the filter is restricted enough to hurt performance after initial spool, the turbo is going to suck it through the intake tube (I've seen it when a mouse makes a nest in the intake box, the turbo sucks the filter into the tube until the engine chokes out).

At the best case you will polish your turbo vanes prematurely and reduce performance, worst case is something will fail.

The TCM just messes with the pedal position, I'd rather do a tune than have something actively messing with the OBDII signals.

Completely agree with you t4thfavor. An extra (maybe if there is again???) 2-5hp is not worth dusting the engine.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've had my fair share of turbo vehicles (Subaru's, Mazda's, worked on some turbo volvo's) and I find that once you eliminate any intake restrictions (which the Ranger doesnt really seem to have) the next most useful power adders are free flowing exhaust (I upgraded to a 3.5" diameter mandrel stainless turbo back exhaust on my wrx), intercooler (and intercooler plumbing), headers ( probably not a ranger problem), and parasitic drag Reduction (light weight pulleys).

1980's-2010 model year fuel injected vehicles tended to have all manner of nonsense with their intakes. Manufacturers would use elaborate plumbing to make vehicles quieter at the expense of suffocating the engine. All that nonsense plumbing was plastic and would start to heat soak as soon as the engine came up to operating temp. Thus the myth of the magical CAI upgrade adding 15-30 bhp was born.

Intake plumbing can always be made more efficient. On turbocharged engines this typically results in faster spooling turbos. It rarely results in significant hp gains.

The Ranger will not see much power gains from aftermarket air intakes OR more breathable filters in the stock intake.

The Roush intake looks nice but I'll wait until I see repeatable performance gains for multiple vehicles on a dyno I'm not particularly excited about intakes.
Sponsored