Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone in the TV? Where do you take your rigs off road? Looking to get out more (hiking, biking, etc). Any other activity suggestions welcome.
Looking at the weather this week if I start planning now maybe I'll be ready for spring. :cool:
Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I'd be interested too. Drove through the area a few times. never stopped for any activities.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Kimball @quangdog has done several off road trips in the area and has posted some videos. Most of my short trips off road have been up in Valley County near McCall.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Anyone in the TV? Where do you take your rigs off road? Looking to get out more (hiking, biking, etc). Any other activity suggestions welcome.
Looking at the weather this week if I start planning now maybe I'll be ready for spring. :cool:
There are TONS of places to go. If you are looking for some of the best hiking you'll ever find anywhere, head up highway 55 towards McCall. There are great little lakes to hike into near Cascade - Lost Lake, Hidden Lake, Shirts Lake, Blue Lake, etc. If you are up for something more challenging, Alice Lake over in the Sawtooths is fantastic (though it was closed last summer for fires). There are literally hundreds of other great little hikes in the Sawtooths, and I've never been disappointed by any of the trails I've done. Hell Roaring is another good one. A little farther north, there is a wonderful little trail out to Marten Lake which continues on to Kelly Lake - I hiked that with my son and Father-in-law this past fall....It was gorgeous.

If you are just looking for straight up offroad adventures in your Ranger... right in the TV there is the Kuna Butte which can be fun to go play around in/on. This past fall and winter I've done a few trips out towards the west in the Owyhees .. Coffepot Crater is cool to drive out to and hike around (though not really a challenging offroad - just dirt/gravel). Succor Creek has a nice little loop my son and I did late last summer. The main loop is a pretty well groomed dirt road, but there are tons of little offshoots you can take to climb up tricky stuff for great views.

Just a few weeks ago my son and I tried to do the Wilson Peak loop southwest of Marsing. We started from the northern side of the loop, made it all the way to the peak, then started down the southern side of the loop. Parts of the road were completely washed out... and had we been with other people / rigs, and had there not been nearly a foot of snow on the ground, we *might* have tried to get through it... but that loop is right at the limit of what I think my Ranger could handle.

Anyhow - feel free to PM me if you'd like other ideas. I love getting offroad, and do it every chance I can.

OP
OP
NWRanger

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
There are TONS of places to go. If you are looking for some of the best hiking you'll ever find anywhere, head up highway 55 towards McCall. There are great little lakes to hike into near Cascade - Lost Lake, Hidden Lake, Shirts Lake, Blue Lake, etc. If you are up for something more challenging, Alice Lake over in the Sawtooths is fantastic (though it was closed last summer for fires). There are literally hundreds of other great little hikes in the Sawtooths, and I've never been disappointed by any of the trails I've done. Hell Roaring is another good one. A little farther north, there is a wonderful little trail out to Marten Lake which continues on to Kelly Lake - I hiked that with my son and Father-in-law this past fall....It was gorgeous.

If you are just looking for straight up offroad adventures in your Ranger... right in the TV there is the Kuna Butte which can be fun to go play around in/on. This past fall and winter I've done a few trips out towards the west in the Owyhees .. Coffepot Crater is cool to drive out to and hike around (though not really a challenging offroad - just dirt/gravel). Succor Creek has a nice little loop my son and I did late last summer. The main loop is a pretty well groomed dirt road, but there are tons of little offshoots you can take to climb up tricky stuff for great views.

Just a few weeks ago my son and I tried to do the Wilson Peak loop southwest of Marsing. We started from the northern side of the loop, made it all the way to the peak, then started down the southern side of the loop. Parts of the road were completely washed out... and had we been with other people / rigs, and had there not been nearly a foot of snow on the ground, we *might* have tried to get through it... but that loop is right at the limit of what I think my Ranger could handle.

Anyhow - feel free to PM me if you'd like other ideas. I love getting offroad, and do it every chance I can.
Thanks, that’s exactly what was I was looking for! Something for me and the rig! Very in depth, sounds like I have some catching up to do! I have been out towards the Butte and have done very little tooling around- but that’s just about the extent of it.
Sponsored