Trading in wheels to the dealership?

CharlieRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Hey everyone!
Whoever previously owned my Ranger opted for the 18" wheel package and I was hoping to swap over to the factory 17" wheels for offroading. Has anyone ever been able to trade their wheels in to the dealership to sort of offset the price of a new set? In my naive mind it doesn't seem like a bad deal for them, say they get a trade-in with aftermarkets or they have a truck in the collision center that needs new wheels. Of the 3 dealerships I called, 1 said their manager might not approve, another didn't pick up at all, and a third said not possible.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Never heard of such a thing.

Just sell them on the forum or FB/Craigslist.

You may even find somebody who wants to straight up swap.

OP
OP

CharlieRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Never heard of such a thing.

Just sell them on the forum or FB/Craigslist.

You may even find somebody who wants to straight up swap.
I know, I know. Just didn’t feel like going through the hassle of trying to find someone local or shipping wheels. Also if I buy/sell from a dealership then I don’t have to figure out how to get 4 wheels on and off at different times.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone!
Whoever previously owned my Ranger opted for the 18" wheel package and I was hoping to swap over to the factory 17" wheels for offroading. Has anyone ever been able to trade their wheels in to the dealership to sort of offset the price of a new set? In my naive mind it doesn't seem like a bad deal for them, say they get a trade-in with aftermarkets or they have a truck in the collision center that needs new wheels. Of the 3 dealerships I called, 1 said their manager might not approve, another didn't pick up at all, and a third said not possible.
So unless you are swapping off a brand new set of wheels from the factory it aint gonna happen. The only time we ever do that is if someone a wants us to put on an aftermarket package ie rocky ridge or a dsi kit then we would keep the wheels and tires from the vehicle (brand new only) and sell them or if someone wanted to swap their existing wheels onto their new vehicle they are buying we can sometimes do that and we just put the factory wheels on their trade in. But strictly from a liability standpoint that is never ever going to happen, a used tire shop may want them but even still probably not. Facebook is gonna be your best bet.

OP
OP

CharlieRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
So unless you are swapping off a brand new set of wheels from the factory it aint gonna happen. The only time we ever do that is if someone a wants us to put on an aftermarket package ie rocky ridge or a dsi kit then we would keep the wheels and tires from the vehicle (brand new only) and sell them or if someone wanted to swap their existing wheels onto their new vehicle they are buying we can sometimes do that and we just put the factory wheels on their trade in. But strictly from a liability standpoint that is never ever going to happen, a used tire shop may want them but even still probably not. Facebook is gonna be your best bet.
Makes sense. Thought I could get away with it since the wheels and tires are brand spanking new. Don’t think the previous owner ever really drove her.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense. Thought I could get away with it since the wheels and tires are brand spanking new. Don’t think the previous owner ever really drove her.
Yeah but from ford and the dealer and most importantly the insurances perspective those suckers are used and god knows what you or he did to them, the only way they will do swaps is for brand new ones from the factory, even doing a swap of your own wheels to a new vehicle you have to sign off extra paperwork
Sponsored