Tow Haul Mode?

TK19

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 FX4, 2019 Corvette ZO6 coupe, 2018 Mercedes C63 AMG sedan
Occupation
Logistics-Heavy Haul/Oversize/Overweight
I feel a bit embarrassed asking this question, because I've made a very good living as a Heavy Haul/Oversize /Overweight driver, having hauled loads in excess of 200,000lbs, but I have a '19 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 that I plan on towing a tandem axle equipment trailer with. My question is, exactly what is the Tow/Haul mode, and what does it actually do? I've been through the complete Owner's Manual, as well as the Towing guide, and I can't find anything that explains what it is or what it does. Any info would be appreciated, I just like knowing the what, why and how of things.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
An oversimplified explanation is that it changes the shift patterns meaning it will rev higher. It also uses the engine for braking more when going down hills. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but it is very useful when towing a trailer.

OP
OP

TK19

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 FX4, 2019 Corvette ZO6 coupe, 2018 Mercedes C63 AMG sedan
Occupation
An oversimplified explanation is that it changes the shift patterns meaning it will rev higher. It also uses the engine for braking more when going down hills. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but it is very useful when towing a trailer.
All good, just curious exactly what it did, since the Owner's Manual didn't explain. Thanks for the info, this is the first time I'm towing anything with the truck, so far it's been a really nice unit, I was between ordering a Canyon Denali or Ranger Lariat, but I was concerned about the 4 cylinder engine. Once I drove it, easy decision, the Denali is a really nice truck, but the Lariat is just that little bit nicer, and the drivetrain is best in class.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Redland is right, in layman's terms. It provides a noticeable difference when under load. I've hauled an 18' dual axle trailer several times and could immediately tell when I hadn't activated the mode. The truck behaves much better with it on. I'd suggest cycling it on and off under different loads to feel what it does - it's pronounced.

OP
OP

TK19

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Redland is right, in layman's terms. It provides a noticeable difference when under load. I've hauled an 18' dual axle trailer several times and could immediately tell when I hadn't activated the mode. The truck behaves much better with it on. I'd suggest cycling it on and off under different loads to feel what it does - it's pronounced.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. The trailer is a 20' tandem axle, total weight trailer and cargo will be just over 3,400lbs, I'm sure the truck will handle that just fine.

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
You're right the manual gives very little info on it.
Page 220 of the manual says:

Grade Assist or Tow/Haul feature, use this feature when towing. This provides engine braking and helps eliminate excessive transmission shifting for
optimum fuel economy and transmission cooling.

My 2013 F450 manual gives a bit more:

Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position; this engine braking will
slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load conditions,
the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the
vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the pedals being pressed.
The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the
amount the pedal is depressed.

Deleted member 1634

Agreed. It's a very nice feature and noticeable when used. I'm not saying the truck can't handle it in normal mode, but in tow/haul mode it doesn't even blink. Very nice feature and I use it every time I tow (even though my load is usually only around 2000lbs).

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I only used it the one time when I towed a 2000 lb UHaul trailer - a couple times I forgot to engage it and I could tell a difference. It does absolutely make a noticeable improvement when towing.

OP
OP

TK19

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you all for the response, I thought that was pretty much what Tow-Haul Mode did, but the Manual really didn't offer much info in that regard. I'll be towing on Thursday, so I'll give it a try both with and without Tow-Haul engaged.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Thank you all for the response, I thought that was pretty much what Tow-Haul Mode did, but the Manual really didn't offer much info in that regard. I'll be towing on Thursday, so I'll give it a try both with and without Tow-Haul engaged.
Read the manual on locking out gears as well with the 2 buttons on the shifter. You select to effectively decommission gears like 10,9,8 if you desire. Do that if you feel the transmission is choosing too high a gear on the highway and lugging.

rwjrn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I feel a bit embarrassed asking this question, because I've made a very good living as a Heavy Haul/Oversize /Overweight driver, having hauled loads in excess of 200,000lbs, but I have a '19 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 that I plan on towing a tandem axle equipment trailer with. My question is, exactly what is the Tow/Haul mode, and what does it actually do? I've been through the complete Owner's Manual, as well as the Towing guide, and I can't find anything that explains what it is or what it does. Any info would be appreciated, I just like knowing the what, why and how of things.
Damn! You got paid for being an overweight driver? Where do I sign up?

OP
OP

TK19

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Damn! You got paid for being an overweight driver? Where do I sign up?
:LOL: I know the stereotype of drivers, but fortunately I don't meet the criteria of the actual overweight driver. I work out a lot, so no big belly, and my BMI is under 10. I'm a bit closer to this>:muscle:
Sponsored