Tonneau cover and lighting

grtskydog

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL SuperCrew
Has anyone installed one of these aftermarket lighting kits? I expect I'll be keeping my Tonneau cover on most of the time using my bed as a big trunk unless I need to haul anything big. It's probably trivial, but sometimes I'm fumbling around loading/unloading gear when I travel (often) and it's 0-dark whatever, or getting back at 10:00 at night. A little LED in there would be nice to catch stuff that may have fallen out or gotten loose. Any good products? I'd like something to wire into vehicle's 12V, and something with a door switch at the tailgate.
Sponsored

Reactions: JGF
OP
OP
grtskydog

grtskydog

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL SuperCrew
Thanks y'all. You'd think when I typed "bed lights" in search that would have been the first thing to come up...I really need to learn to search. :rolleyes: "bed-lights" "bed+lights" --I dunno.

Forgot about the optional bed outlet...nice there's a live terminal under there. I'll probably hit the pick-n-pull with my OE "blank" terminal from the truck. Bet I'll find a match in the Ford section. That and snag a door pin switch for the tailgate. I found the perfect spot for that. The hard part will be choosing the lights...LOL.

EDIT-- I read where the bed pigtail powers off until you key back on...bummer. I'll have to find another 12V source.

Last edited:

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
You can change that with FORSCAN mine are set to be on always, no time out. That’s why I went with a push switch instead of a pin switch. I am a control freak...lol

OP
OP
grtskydog

grtskydog

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL SuperCrew
I'll look into that. I could also tap into the courtesy lights at the license plate bulbs. I can change that timer in ForScan was well. Lots of options.
Sponsored