daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt fx4 CC- 2002 F250 super D 4x4
Occupation
retired
how was you purchase experience?
mine has been nothing short of a complete disaster.
on june 7/21 i placed my order in at my local leer dealer to the ELKHART INDIANA plant and on july 25/21 the cap showed up PAINTED THE WRONG COLOUR. when the order was placed my vin number and paint code were included with the order along with a 1000.00 dollar deposit. my ranger is lightning blue and the cap is antimatter blue( F150 colour)
leers responce was #1 accept the cap as is #2 return cap with the fuel door off my truck (NOT)
or #3 have a local body shop repaint cap at leers expense. being the nice guy that i am i chose to get 3 quotes from local body shops. the first one was for 600.00 the second one was for 800.00 and the third one for 1350.00. local body shops in my area charge upwards of 150.00 an hour just for labour. that dont leave much for paint, clear coat and prep work.all 3 quotes came in on AUG6/21 and as of todays date leer has NOT returned any calls to my local dealer for appoval for any work.
what would you guys do if this happened to you???
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Buy a small touchup paint pen that's the correct color. Send them that instead of the fuel door?

OP
OP
rozebud

rozebud

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
good idea. thats another option. that also means return ship it across the boarder, wait for leer to repaint and return ship it here again.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
on june 7/21 i placed my order in at my local leer dealer to the ELKHART INDIANA plant and on july 25/21 the cap showed up PAINTED THE WRONG COLOUR. when the order was placed my vin number and paint code were included with the order along with a 1000.00 dollar deposit. my ranger is lightning blue and the cap is antimatter blue( F150 colour)
leers responce was #1 accept the cap as is #2 return cap with the fuel door off my truck (NOT)
or #3 have a local body shop repaint cap at leers expense. being the nice guy that i am i chose to get 3 quotes from local body shops. the first one was for 600.00 the second one was for 800.00 and the third one for 1350.00. local body shops in my area charge upwards of 150.00 an hour just for labour. that dont leave much for paint, clear coat and prep work.all 3 quotes came in on AUG6/21 and as of todays date leer has NOT returned any calls to my local dealer for appoval for any work.
Maybe...

Hit your local paint supply for a spray can of Lightening Blue, spray a test piece to ensure it matches send the test piece and or spray can back with the cap.

Go to the dealer and buy a replacement gas door, mirror hood or any other piece that is Lightening Blue, and ensure it can be returned. Send it with the cap, return it to the dealer after.

Call your Credit Card Company and start a payment recovery, then tell Leer the payment has been reversed, they can pick up their cover at the end of your driveway.

OP
OP
rozebud

rozebud

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Im quite certan they have ford dealers in elkhart indiana. let them buy a fuel door at there expence. they did have my vin number and paint code when the order was placed. I may do as CO2ranger said and buy a paint pen and tell my dealer to return the cap with pen. Im still mad that leer has not replied yet. tomorrow will be one week.

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Ill just add my two cents here, but my experience has been the complete opposite. The only issue I had at the time of order was the canopy dealership wanting full payment up front, but couldnt promise the canopy for at least 3 months as they told me that Leer would need to basically create new molds and that this would be the first supercab ranger canopy sold in Canada (i dont know how much I believe this, but after it was complete they spent about an hour with the truck taking multiple pictures and measurements and said they had to report the fit back to Leer). Other then the wait, my experience has been great. The fit is perfect, there is no leaks, and it insulates well for camping in. I would be pretty upset If I was you also, these things are not cheap for a hunk of fiberglass!

OP
OP
rozebud

rozebud

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
you got that right. cost of cap 2100.00, cost of head liner 200.00 and cost of wiring brake light and interior light 160.00 and that is before tax. if things dont go well i may just cancel every thing and go with a tonneau cover instead.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
We are a dealer for Jeraco fiberglass caps, have been since the early 90's. We were a dealer for Leer fiberglass back in the late 80's but ended that relationship after about 1 year... I won't go into details, other than to say WE find Jeraco customer service better.

A few years ago, there were a number of paint colors that were easily seen by the eye to vary in shade of color, depending which plant the truck was manufactured. Jeraco sent out color swatches to the dealers for the variations they were seeing.... if the cap dealer couldn't determine which one was the closest match from those swatches, Jeraco would suggest sending the truck's gas cap door to them. It sounds like though your cap didn't come in in just a shade off, but rather a totally different paint code color.

As far as having to leave a substantial deposit on you cap order, that is not unusual. We actually require payment in full at time of order. Days are gone where you could ask for only half down as deposit. When you're talking $1500+ and upwards on price of a cap and with all the variations in truck sizes, cap styles & options... a dealer can't take the chance of a customer backing out on the order once the manufacturer starts the order. If the dealer is stuck with the cap, it may take years until the right truck in the right size and color comes onto the lot and by that time the, cap has aged and dealer probably has to deeply discount the cap to recoup part of what they paid for the cap.

When a new truck model comes on the market, it can take the fiberglass manufacturer months to fabricate the mold and get it right before putting it into production. They will usually do the short bed models in the Cabhigh cap style first as that is usually the most popular style.

Last edited:

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Dispute the credit card charge!!!
That will get their attention. Lightning blue has been out since this truck came out three years ago. I can't believe they would suggest you sending in your filler cap door! That's just a crappy response and I bet they have some newbie giving you that kind of response. This surely cannot be the first time this happened with them. An easy way to email the president or CEO is to see what a typical email is for that company and just add the presidents name to it instead. This helped me tremendously when I had to contact the CEO of a major mortgage company. They jumpped through the roof to fix my issue.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer

Sometimes it is best to walk away. The dealer you bought this from should be troubleshooting this, not you.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sometimes it is best to walk away. The dealer you bought this from should be troubleshooting this, not you.
Dealer should have refused delivery when it arrived at the dealership in the wrong color and never took it off the delivery trailer. Even if a dealer isn't familiar with all the different shades of paint, he should have compared the delivery packing slip or invoice against his records to know if the cap came in in the correct paint color code.

OP
OP
rozebud

rozebud

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
paval3... thank you for your response.do you make cab high caps for the new ford ranger yet? as I said leer has my vin number and paint code but i dont know how much help that is in your manufacturing process. leer painted the cap with a colour (antimatter blue) that is not available for the ranger series line of trucks and is only available for the F150 trucks. as for the deposit, im fine with that part, I still would like to buy the cap. I just dont like how this is evolving and leers lack of response. im afraid of the lack of quality of the finished product i get when all is said and done.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
paval3... thank you for your response.do you make cab high caps for the new ford ranger yet? as I said leer has my vin number and paint code but i dont know how much help that is in your manufacturing process. leer painted the cap with a colour (antimatter blue) that is not available for the ranger series line of trucks and is only available for the F150 trucks. as for the deposit, im fine with that part, I still would like to buy the cap. I just dont like how this is evolving and leers lack of response. im afraid of the lack of quality of the finished product i get when all is said and done.
We actually manufacture aluminum truck caps but we are an authorized dealer for Jeraco fiberglass caps.

Jeraco has been making their cabhigh model caps for the 5' bed for quite a while and just started producing the 6' bed. I don't know if Jeraco has dealers in Canada, but you might give them a call and ask for Kyle in sales. Phone 570-742-9680. Their plant is located in Milton, Pennsylvania (USA).

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Im quite certan they have ford dealers in elkhart indiana. let them buy a fuel door at there expence. they did have my vin number and paint code when the order was placed. I may do as CO2ranger said and buy a paint pen and tell my dealer to return the cap with pen. Im still mad that leer has not replied yet. tomorrow will be one week.
Yes, I agree they have dealers there too, but they also had your paint code and VIN number, yet your cap doesn't match. Competency doesn't seem to be their thing.

If I were still moving forward to keep the cap, my first choice would be re-painting locally. If they don't like the prices, ship it back to them for re-painting, but I would do my best to ensure they can't fk it up again, and include a colour match of some sort. A $20 spray can, to get the $2K cap I want, is a cheap, albeit should be un-required step.

OP
OP
rozebud

rozebud

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
thank you all for responses. Im going to go today to get a paint match pen for my truck as i have a few small scratches anyway and ill go to the dealer and tell him to return the cap to leer and give them one more shot to get it right. if it comes back wrong again then the deal is off and i either get my deposit back or will talk to a lawyer and see what my options are.
Sponsored