The "I Don't Know What To Call It" Build (First Truck)

jbehrv04

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport
Occupation
Military
Hi all,

I've been a lurker on the forum for a long while (ever since I got this back in August 2020).

This is my first truck; before this I had a 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS and loved it (until Colorado hail took her away from me). I've always wanted a truck; and this one has become my project. I've learned a lot about vehicles generally since owning it and it has been an experience. I'm new to all this, and I look forward to learning from everyone here.

So, this is where we are.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport (had I known what I know now, I'd have gone with the XLT FX4). No name for the project yet, at the time I got it I called her "Raven."

Suspension:
- Fox 2.0 "Ford Performance" Suspension Leveling Kit
- BF Goodrich 285/70/R17 K02s
- KMC Mesa Wheels, 17x8.5, 0 Offset
- Offset Intrusion Beams

Under the Hood:
- Roush Cold Air Intake
- Roush Engine Calibration (I learned about the Livernois Tune way after)

Body:
- Bushwhacker Extend-a-Fender Flares
- Ford Raptor-style Grille with LEDs
- Air Design Bumper Guard
- Air Design Fender Vents
- Aeroskin Hood Protector
- Blue Tow Hooks

Lighting:
- AlphaRex NOVA Headlights (Yes the start-up lighting is excessive and the novelty has quickly worn off)
- DRLs on Air Design Bumper Guard
- Rigid LED Fog Lights (White)
- Grille LEDs
- KanSmart (Amazon) Marker Lights

Exhaust:
- Roush Cat-back Exhaust

Misc:
- Terrain Management (thanks to the FORScan Wiki)

Planned:
- Skid Plate Kit
- Figure out the Trail Control feature (Fingers crossed, if I can get that thread revived again... may be a lost cause but I am still hopeful)
- Upgrade Suspension / lift kit (looking for any and all expertise / advice / opinions)
- New Intercooler
- Ram Air Intake (thanks to Msfitoy for that one!)
- Anything else that catches my eye on this forum... (not saying you all are a bad influence)
- Correct the alignment on the front fenders (probably will need some adhesive)

Things that just grind my gears:
- Exhaust dips below the body more than I'd like
- Stance (wheels are already at 0 offset; adding a spacer causes tires to rub on either end of the wheel well without trimming; no idea how to fix)

I appreciate any and all comments - and advice from folks who have been doing this a lot longer than me. This is my daily driver; I don't do a terrible amount of off-roading, and I don't go camping enough to justify an overland build. I just want it to be ready for anything.
Sponsored

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
I kinda want to go with black flares on mine. might have to wrap'em to see how it looks before shelling out the cash, tho.

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hi all,

I've been a lurker on the forum for a long while (ever since I got this back in August 2020).

This is my first truck; before this I had a 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS and loved it (until Colorado hail took her away from me). I've always wanted a truck; and this one has become my project. I've learned a lot about vehicles generally since owning it and it has been an experience. I'm new to all this, and I look forward to learning from everyone here.

So, this is where we are.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport (had I known what I know now, I'd have gone with the XLT FX4). No name for the project yet, at the time I got it I called her "Raven."

Suspension:
- Fox 2.0 "Ford Performance" Suspension Leveling Kit
- BF Goodrich 285/70/R17 K02s
- KMC Mesa Wheels, 17x8.5, 0 Offset
- Offset Intrusion Beams

Under the Hood:
- Roush Cold Air Intake
- Roush Engine Calibration (I learned about the Livernois Tune way after)

Body:
- Bushwhacker Extend-a-Fender Flares
- Ford Raptor-style Grille with LEDs
- Air Design Bumper Guard
- Air Design Fender Vents
- Aeroskin Hood Protector
- Blue Tow Hooks

Lighting:
- AlphaRex NOVA Headlights (Yes the start-up lighting is excessive and the novelty has quickly worn off)
- DRLs on Air Design Bumper Guard
- Rigid LED Fog Lights (White)
- Grille LEDs
- KanSmart (Amazon) Marker Lights

Exhaust:
- Roush Cat-back Exhaust

Misc:
- Terrain Management (thanks to the FORScan Wiki)

Planned:
- Skid Plate Kit
- Figure out the Trail Control feature (Fingers crossed, if I can get that thread revived again... may be a lost cause but I am still hopeful)
- Upgrade Suspension / lift kit (looking for any and all expertise / advice / opinions)
- New Intercooler
- Ram Air Intake (thanks to Msfitoy for that one!)
- Anything else that catches my eye on this forum... (not saying you all are a bad influence)
- Correct the alignment on the front fenders (probably will need some adhesive)

Things that just grind my gears:
- Exhaust dips below the body more than I'd like
- Stance (wheels are already at 0 offset; adding a spacer causes tires to rub on either end of the wheel well without trimming; no idea how to fix)

I appreciate any and all comments - and advice from folks who have been doing this a lot longer than me. This is my daily driver; I don't do a terrible amount of off-roading, and I don't go camping enough to justify an overland build. I just want it to be ready for anything.
I think it looks amazing! I love the leveled look over the lift especially it’s it’s more daily vs off-road. If it were me I add some tailgate letters for that extra bit of pop.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a great looking truck Jake. That offset really limits what you can do to get more poke from spacers.

Actually, you have plenty of poke, but those deep pocket flares are keeping you from seeing just how much you have. With +15mm offset, when I had my flares off to replace their rubber piping, I had more poke than I imagined. Going with a lower profile flare might give you the look you’re after. I think Lund and RTR have lower profile flares. The Tremor flares have an even lower profile and they’re the right colour for your rig. My guess is that you’d be flush to the Lund flares and poking slightly with the Tremor flares.

Here’s +15 with and without flares…

5068FC73-A81B-4C0D-9B87-E6F558EDF687.jpeg
4B13EF55-45B3-475E-9F9D-305BD01309B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
That’s a great looking truck Jake. That offset really limits what you can do to get more poke from spacers.

Actually, you have plenty of poke, but those deep pocket flares are keeping you from seeing just how much you have. With +15mm offset, when I had my flares off to replace their rubber piping, I had more poke than I imagined. Going with a lower profile flare might give you the look you’re after. I think Lund and RTR have lower profile flares. The Tremor flares have an even lower profile and they’re the right colour for your rig. My guess is that you’d be flush to the Lund flares and poking slightly with the Tremor flares.

Yup, I have 25mm offset on my Fuels and the Lund smooth SX133S flares from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCHC1Y4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before:
IMG_20220903_085325.jpg

after:
IMG_20220909_190519.jpg
IMG_20220909_190512.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jbehrv04

jbehrv04

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I kinda want to go with black flares on mine. might have to wrap'em to see how it looks before shelling out the cash, tho.
I wanted the black flares for that contrast.. what color truck do you have

OP
OP
jbehrv04

jbehrv04

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Nice truck and trail control is training wheels for folks who don't know how to rock crawl.
That's what I keep telling myself... But then I keep coming around to that dang Trail Control thread haha

OP
OP
jbehrv04

jbehrv04

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military

Thanks Duke! Your truck was a big inspiration in my project as well. It looks so rugged and aggressive!

What flares do you have on the bottom pic? I was thinking RTR, LUND, and the ROUSH flares (but those are $$$$$$$ x 100 just for flares).

OP
OP
jbehrv04

jbehrv04

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Duke! Your truck was a big inspiration in my project as well. It looks so rugged and aggressive!

What flares do you have on the bottom pic? I was thinking RTR, LUND, and the ROUSH flares (but those are $$$$$$$ x 100 just for flares).
Thanks Jake - the Bushwacker bolt-on style pocket flares that I have definitely help with the aggressive look. They are pretty deep and the black on black gives the allusion of a wider body line. I think yours are the same dimensions, but smooth. Those other flares sure are pricey!

I noticed the position of your exhaust also. Maybe if you paint the raw pipe section back past the bend wth flat black header paint, it might camouflage it a bit and you won’t notice it as much. I hated the stock side exit pipe, so I put on a black tip. I don’t notice the exhaust anymore. Heck, I don’t even notice the tip I spent $100 bucks on and likely could have gotten away with painting it. ?

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
I wanted the black flares for that contrast.. what color truck do you have
Black and white. I was thinking maybe black flares,bumpers, black along the rocker panels. Kinda boxing/outlining with black.

20220321_084709.jpg
Sponsored