Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
I usually use a slotted screw driver in those situations since it would kinda work as a "walking out" chisel and if the blade is close (slightly over) to the max of the messed up Torx (or other type of head) you can get it mashed in and maybe out. Mashing a tight socket over it can work but can also help round out the head even more and make an even more dramatic mess of it.

I'm happy for you Matt's heat worked. I was just hoping to throw mine at the wall too in the event you were making a day of it (we've all been there). Maybe this is a sign that those of us who don't have a heat gun yet should get one.

until about 5 yrs ago I never owned one. Now I don't know how I lived without one for so long. Fairly inexpensive and so versatile it is really dumb not to have on in the arsenal..
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
FYI, for anyone reading this, once you get the loctite softened it comes out easily with a 10" socket wrench. So if it takes more force than you can put on with a 10" lever, you need more heat, not more force. (I used 700F for about a minute, with concentrator nozzle, be careful because it's easy to heat up the plastic wiring harness as well.) Wish I'd known that before, but of course no one will read this thread until aftere they make the same mistake I did..

..also not sure what force it is that compelled me to try every single bolt so that they are all messed up instead of figuring out how to deal with one first.
Thank goodness it's not just me that does these type things Miles. Good to hear you conquered the force my friend.