First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
For our alu-cab install, I need to remove not just the tailgate but the hinges. Halfway through it became clear that these bolts do not want to leave home. I made a mess of it but I don't feel that bad since my son did too. 1) It's bonded red loctite. 2) the bolt is aluminum and super soft - presumably to avoid steel on aluminium corrosion, almost like they never contemplated having it removed and 3) it's nearly impossible to get a straight run at it because of angle and obstruction. At this point I'm screwed if I can't figure this out because leaving on a long trip and I can't put the canopy door on OR the tailgate back. :facepalm::facepalm:

I was afraid to use an impact driver because of angle, so tried a breaker bar / wrench, but that is slow rather than rapid break and worse I can't get any pressure on it - my son suggested that slow torque rather than quick impact might be contributing to problem. At this point the heads are an EMBARRASSING mess, so much I don't really want to show it here. But as bad as it looks I still have resistance so all hope isn't lost. Here are options my son and I came up with:

1. Rubber band trick -- didn't work.
2. Try the impact driver --could make it even worse.
3. Vise grips. Hahaha good luck.
4. Get plus size torx bit and pound it in with hammer.
5. Drill it out.
6. Use a bolt extractor.

At this point the bolts are a loss; I'm a lot more worred about f'in up the threads. Also, the reverse side of hinge clip is another clip which is moving around. Given space in there I'm not sure how I could even get in there to replace other side of clip if I have to.

Ideas welcome. Observations pointing out that I f'ed this up will be ignored, cause yeah, I already know that lol.

DSCF4529.jpg
Sponsored

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I would suggest removing the tail light to try and heat the nuts from behind. This will soften any loktite. I would then use an impact screwdriver to attempt removal of the bolts while still hot.

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
I would suggest removing the tail light to try and heat the nuts from behind. This will soften any loktite. I would then use an impact screwdriver to attempt removal of the bolts while still hot.
Good idea, I wasn't sure how to reach the other side in any case and I'll probably need to. Down the rabbit hole I go. So like with heat gun using concentrator nozzle.. what temp would you think?

re: impact wrench I won't be able to get it exactly parallel, do you think that's likely to fubar the whole thing?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL 4x4 SuperCrew (R)
Do you own a Dremel or hack saw blade? If you can get a straight slot in there you could just try a slot drive. If that doesn't work you go with a socket (instead of hammering a larger sized Torx in), or try to walk it out with a chisel and hammer.

Can you get that spring piece knocked off for better clearance while you work too?

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
Do you own a Dremel or hack saw blade? If you can get a straight slot in there you could just try a slot drive. If that doesn't work you go with a socket (instead of hammering a larger sized Torx in), or try to walk it out with a chisel and hammer.
Cool idea re: slot, the metal is so soft might even be able to hammer one in.How would using a socket work? Basicallyfind one just same size as head and bang it in to crown?

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
You would need to find out if the nut is steel or aluminum. I use map gas. If it's steel heat until it smokes. Aluminum just a heat gun is safe.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, you can see the red loctite on them. That , I am presuming metric flat socket head cap screw may be standard. Should be able to find at fastner place. Make sure you red loctite them back in.
Clean threads with alcohol or brake clean before assembly.

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
FYI, for anyone reading this, once you get the loctite softened it comes out easily with a 10" socket wrench. So if it takes more force than you can put on with a 10" lever, you need more heat, not more force. (I used 700F for about a minute, with concentrator nozzle, be careful because it's easy to heat up the plastic wiring harness as well.) Wish I'd known that before, but of course no one will read this thread until aftere they make the same mistake I did..

..also not sure what force it is that compelled me to try every single bolt so that they are all messed up instead of figuring out how to deal with one first.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL 4x4 SuperCrew (R)
Cool idea re: slot, the metal is so soft might even be able to hammer one in.How would using a socket work? Basicallyfind one just same size as head and bang it in to crown?
I usually use a slotted screw driver in those situations since it would kinda work as a "walking out" chisel and if the blade is close (slightly over) to the max of the messed up Torx (or other type of head) you can get it mashed in and maybe out. Mashing a tight socket over it can work but can also help round out the head even more and make an even more dramatic mess of it.

I'm happy for you Matt's heat worked. I was just hoping to throw mine at the wall too in the event you were making a day of it (we've all been there). Maybe this is a sign that those of us who don't have a heat gun yet should get one.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Glad you got it out. Just to point out, an impact screwdriver is not an impact wrench. If you don't own one, I highly recommend getting one. They are less than $10 at Harbor Freight.

When you hit the screwdriver with a hammer, it turns slightly counterclockwise to loosen the screw/bolt. The hammer action also makes sure you have good contact, so you don't strip it out.

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
Glad you got it out. Just to point out, an impact screwdriver is not an impact wrench. If you don't own one, I highly recommend getting one. They are less than $10 at Harbor Freight.

When you hit the screwdriver with a hammer, it turns slightly counterclockwise to loosen the screw/bolt. The hammer action also makes sure you have good contact, so you don't strip it out.
Cool, I had no idea. I mean I've tried that with an ordinary wrench but ended up with nothing but busted knuckles.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m noticing most of the hardware used on our Rangers has some sort of thread treatment applied to them. Depending on mating materials it’s most likely to control galvanic welding over time. So any fasteners with a 6mm thread or larger heat first before removal. They should come right out
Sponsored