Sync flashback

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I asked this question in the V3.4 thread, but probably not the best place for it.

I flashed from V3.3 to V3.4 and would like to go back to V3.3. Is this possible?
Opposite to what everyone else is reporting, I find 3.4 less responsive. I sometimes have to hit the on-screen buttons a couple times to get it to work and I much prefer the look of 3.3.
I also found a couple annoying quirks with the Text feature.
The radio volume doesn't reduce when it reads back a text so it's hard to hear and I can't use the quick responses if moving.
Yes....I know....I shouldn't be using the text feature if driving, but the purpose of the quick responses is so you don't use your phone and it takes no more attention than using the radio.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
You can if you use the Cynalabs Sync updater tool, but only to v3.3.19052. Just do your research before using it as you can easily brick the system if you're not careful.

As for the responsiveness, it depends on the version of 3.4. Some version updates were not very well optimized and very laggy. The latest public release version 3.4.21020 is much improved over previous updates. It seems to be very responsive and have not noticed any issues with volume/text either.

But then I pretty much exclusively use Android auto over the standard interface so my phone handles most of that.

OP
OP

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for the reply. I am updated to 21020 and it's just not as smooth as when I had V3.3.

.... you can easily brick the system if you're not careful.
This will ultimately stop me from trying to go back. :crazy:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
It's fairly straight forward and the only real risk is if you try to perform a reformat and have a MY20 or later vehicle. That's where the possible brick can happen. If you have a MY19 (came with sync 3.3 or older) then reformatting to reflash it is a lot less risky. Mine is a MY20 and I have used it to upgrade/downgrade the Sync system multiple times starting with 3.4.19200 and now to 21098. I Also have used it to upgrade the gps maps from NA118 to NA220 with no issues despite Ford OTA updates failing to even start. Case in point I just updated mine from 3.4.21020 to 3.4.21098 yesterday using the updater tool. In truck update only took about 10 minutes using the auto install method. So far boot time seeps a little faster, Android Auto link time is significantly faster and a lot less laggy to input vs 21020.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't like the default font on 3.4 update, hard to read at a glance, tried the different background colors and had to settle on one, but when it switched to night mode when it was raining (headlights come on) that was perfect contrast to read at a glance so I shut off the automatic night mode and leave it on night mode. Worked great.

OP
OP

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for clarifying Hork. I have a MY19, so maybe I'll give it try.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
NP. There definitely is a rather high pucker factor the first time you use the tool to update the Sync system. And seems like just when you really get it all figured out the dev releases a new version of the software. And of course that has an entirely different way to do it so you have to relearn it all over again. Good thing is his documentation is put together fairly well and the forums have a lot of good information as well.

I didn't like the default font on 3.4 update, hard to read at a glance, tried the different background colors and had to settle on one, but when it switched to night mode when it was raining (headlights come on) that was perfect contrast to read at a glance so I shut off the automatic night mode and leave it on night mode. Worked great.
That's what I ended up doing as well. Set it to night mode only with the background that kinda looks like carbon fiber. Found that combination of the limited options to be the best for me.
Sponsored

Last edited: