First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
I learned about offroading when I was a kid going out with my dad. He had a 64 Dodge pickup, slant 6 , 4 speed, 2wd. We went some crazy places because he knew how to drive and had a lot of patience. He had a portable winch that could be mounted front or back, but I only remember once pulling himself out. Generally we pulled out guys in 4x4s that got stuck and then being impatient got themselves stuck worse. What initially may have been fixable with a little time and a shovel then needed someone to pull them out. One strategy was me and my 2 brothers sitting at the tailgate to give a bit more traction.

Later he bought a 69 Bronco that was a beast of a 4x4, but not in any way plush. Posi front and rear, manual sterring 3 on the tree, no AC. But it could go anywhere.

Most important to remember is that you need to look at where you are going in terms of how you will get back, and know that 4 wheel drive gives you the opportunity to get stuck much worse.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Those old Broncos were great! Simple to maintain, and rugged.

My 71 FJ40 was a straight 6, 3 on the tree and in low range could climb a tree! No AC or power anything. And the frame did not flex at all. The gas tank was under the passenger seat. I hated to sell it, but had no need for it in southern Mississippi and NW Louisiana.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
the off road pictures never look as bad or butt clenching as they do in person. its so hard to capture a good picture or video unless you have a pro camera person and fancy gear. Ive seen so many pictures of people stuck and thought hmmm i could drive outta that... but i know in person in reality i could not. the worst ive ever seen in person was a 4 wheeler. yamaha big bear. a nice rig in its day. the rider thought he could blast across a lake bed that was "dry". the surface was dry. about 3 inches down it was like wet play dough -black clay. most of us had been zipping around in the sandy beach area of the empty lake. he had to show he could cross it. he couldnt even walk off the lake bed, had to crawl on his belly. as soon as one put a foot down your leg was swallowed. me and a friend tried to walk a recovery rope out to him and ended up the same, belly crawling. i lost a boot ,still remains in the clay today. the seat and handle bars were all that you could see above the ground lol. after 3 days of attempts and lots of broken ropes, lines, blocks and rigs the lil four wheeler was out on hard dirt. it took 150 ft of 3/8 winch line and an hd wrecker with 4x4 to remove it. the wreckers big winch just rag doll pulled the 4 wheeler and a vw beetle size glob of clay out to the sand. the clay mud suction was unreal. it was like quick sand but clay. horrible. if it looks like this dont do it lol. or at least film it :)
1710786091824-hz.png

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I remember 3 wheeling in the Glastonbury Meadows one spring. It's an area where the CT river floods, leaving large mudholes etc for weeks. Came across a youngster with a full sized stock Chevy, in a shallow, small, mud puddle stuck. Trying to get out by sticking styrofoan under his tire, all the time bragging about the tires and lift kit sitting in his garage. We chuckled to ourselves afterward, sending another truck to help him out...

OP
OP

Josh275

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Employed
I broke through the ice and get very stuck. I was able to use some sticks and brush to get enough traction to back out of the 3' deep hole.
1000008337.jpg

1000008338.jpg
UPDATE: I cleaned off the truck and discovered some damage! The tube that the steps hang off of is bent upwards by about a 1/4" difference from the driver side. I am guessing this happened when I broke through the ice and the truck slammed down on the ice shelf... there were lots of cool metal on ice noises that initially had me thinking there was no way I did not total the truck. Overall I'm very happy with the durability of this truck.(I have other things to say about my transmission though)

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Ouch that's scary, luckily it's pretty hard to kill yourself with cold in most of Aus, however dying of dehydration and heatstroke is a very real possibility in summer in the outback. People can, and have, died. Mostly ignorant people who didn't take precautions, or did silly shit, but anyone can get unlucky.
I've done it with a mate many years ago back in the early eighties, back then it was literally possible to drive for days and hundreds of kilometers without seeing another person. On that trip I had to repair a busted ball joint with washers and fencing wire and plug no less than 4 punctures. But we had tools, tyre repair kits, two spares, lots of water, food, and beer, and our wits, and common sense.

I just added a link for interest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-09/outback-deaths-temperatures-danger-travel-mobile/10480736
Sponsored

Last edited: