First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
I want to see dyno numbers an quarter mile times! For me that's too loud for a daily driver but my Harley might drown it out!
A Harley with some nice pipes is definitely louder lol

I’d like to hit the track, but don’t want to run when it’s 90*+ out here in sac at the moment. I’ll update though when I do make it back out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sulli

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sounds a lot like my father-in-law's 1972 Ford 4000 diesel tractor.

Pic for reference.
1975-Ford-4000-Tractor-With-Front-End-Loader-001.jpg
A single turbo 4 banger sounds like a diesel? Cool story.

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
just out of curiosity, what did you use to record video? you can hear a pretty radical decrease in volume in the first few seconds of the truck running after cold start. onboard mics on smartphones and DSLRs that do video have automatic gain control that can be problematic when trying to record exhaust systems. you never get the good low end and the recordings just dont sound the same as they would in person

OP
OP
Sulli

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
just out of curiosity, what did you use to record video? you can hear a pretty radical decrease in volume in the first few seconds of the truck running after cold start. onboard mics on smartphones and DSLRs that do video have automatic gain control that can be problematic when trying to record exhaust systems. you never get the good low end and the recordings just dont sound the same as they would in person
It sounds exactly like that in person expect a lot louder than the video makes it seem. Was using my iPhone 11 Pro Max

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The exhaust note for most engines will be significantly louder when first starting, but will quiet down shortly after. This mostly due to the EGR valve being closed at startup while the cold/start circuit is active. During this the exhaust note is more pronounced (louder) then quiets down after the EGR valve opens up when the engine drops to normal idle condition. This is just something you don't normally hear on stock or quiet exhaust systems, but do on modified ones that are louder.

OP
OP
Sulli

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
"hate on people pushing their vehicles to the limit "

get real...pushing the limit? hardly, you're barely even scratching the surface

but theres a place for obnoxiousness and thats the track, not the street.
the police in the cities around me are cracking down on bozos like you, including Harleys en masse because the neighbourhoods are getting pissed off at your self centered all about you attitude.

I like to hear the birds sing...not some ass-clown brapping his way through the streets. Im not in the minority on that either.

if you can claim you have a right to modify your truck to your wishes, I also have a right to hate on you. and we both cant win, but we know which side has a better chance. Hint, its not you.
That’s cool. Keep crying.

“I like to hear the birds sing”

might want to get your testosterone levels checked as well.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

the police in the cities around me are cracking down on bozos like you, including Harleys en masse because the neighbourhoods are getting pissed off at your self centered all about you attitude.

I like to hear the birds sing...not some ass-clown brapping his way through the streets. Im not in the minority on that either.

if you can claim you have a right to modify your truck to your wishes, I also have a right to hate on you. and we both cant win, but we know which side has a better chance. Hint, its not you.
Chances are his exhaust is louder than 95 decibels and is in violation of California law. If so sooner or later he'll get cited for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151 and will have to take it to a state Referee Center and pay each time for it to be inspected and tested. He'll have fix it to make sure it is quieter than 95 decibels, only then would he receive the Certificate of Compliance that has to be presented in court as proof that the exhaust is now in compliance with state law. The judge may or may not dismiss the citation at that time, Either way all this will cost him time and money because he wanted to "push his truck to the limit." But hey, it's his truck so he can deal with any repercussions that come from the modifications he's made to it.

OP
OP
Sulli

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Chances are his exhaust is louder than 95 decibels and is in violation of California law. If so sooner or later he'll get cited for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151 and will have to take it to a state Referee Center and pay each time for it to be inspected and tested. He'll have fix it to make sure it is quieter than 95 decibels, only then would he receive the Certificate of Compliance that has to be presented in court as proof that the exhaust is now in compliance with state law. The judge may or may not dismiss the citation at that time, Either way all this will cost him time and money because he wanted to "push his truck to the limit." But hey, it's his truck so he can deal with any repercussions that come from the modifications he's made to it.
Round of applause ??

maybe they’ll get my straight piped 700hp 100% illegal Mercedes while they’re at it ??‍♂

spicydaddy

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Breakbulk and RO/RO port management
Vehicle Showcase
@Sulli carry on man. Seems like some people have nothing better to do than to spread negativity and be critical of you spending YOUR money modding YOUR truck the way you want. Just like I had nothing better to do than stop and comment about their negativity. You do your truck your way and fuck these other guys. Just like I’m doing mine my way and everyone else is doing theirs the way they want. Some people will even be bone stock until they no longer have the truck. Cool. They’re doing their thing. Unless you’re paying my truck payment, stay away with all the “that’s illegal” “sounds awful” “you’ll regret that” mumbo jumbo. If you don’t like what someone is doing then move along to the next post and drop the criticism. There’s enough negativity in this world.

Have a great night!

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V

saw a late 2019 posting o

Saw a posting from you from late 2019, see below. Couldn’t post to it because Is so old? No Reply button.

Do you still have the tie downs and bolts that you don’t use?Didn’t see any replies, only Like.
Thanks
Roger

847393A4-C94A-4934-90AF-49F01CF128C3.png

OP
OP
Sulli

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
@Sulli carry on man. Seems like some people have nothing better to do than to spread negativity and be critical of you spending YOUR money modding YOUR truck the way you want. Just like I had nothing better to do than stop and comment about their negativity. You do your truck your way and fuck these other guys. Just like I’m doing mine my way and everyone else is doing theirs the way they want. Some people will even be bone stock until they no longer have the truck. Cool. They’re doing their thing. Unless you’re paying my truck payment, stay away with all the “that’s illegal” “sounds awful” “you’ll regret that” mumbo jumbo. If you don’t like what someone is doing then move along to the next post and drop the criticism. There’s enough negativity in this world.

Have a great night!
Facts!

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The exhaust note for most engines will be significantly louder when first starting, but will quiet down shortly after. This mostly due to the EGR valve being closed at startup while the cold/start circuit is active. During this the exhaust note is more pronounced (louder) then quiets down after the EGR valve opens up when the engine drops to normal idle condition. This is just something you don't normally hear on stock or quiet exhaust systems, but do on modified ones that are louder.
very true. but you can definitely hear the audio clipping in the 2nd video of the truck revving. the pops are barely louder than the engine RPMs.
i understand the basic mechanics behind engine noise as i have been in and around my fair share of performance vehicles. from my time at drag races in staging areas and between lanes to my time in the drivers seat of my straight piped pinto and my fathers 77 cobra, i have experienced exhaust notes from vehicles with 150hp all the way to 1000+ hp 2js and fully built 7 second rx7's.

audio recordings of exhaust systems differ greatly from camera to camera. i was merely asking what UP used to record so i could get an idea of what actual sound would have been in person.

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It sounds exactly like that in person expect a lot louder than the video makes it seem. Was using my iPhone 11 Pro Max
thanks for the civil reply.
i recorded audio of my MBRP kit pre and post-install. also did a video of a DP dump just for shits and giggles. recorded audio using smartphones will never give a good representation of actual audio.

a little jealous though. i need to do my DP but can never seem to line up time and money.

OP
OP
Sulli

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
very true. but you can definitely hear the audio clipping in the 2nd video of the truck revving. the pops are barely louder than the engine RPMs.
i understand the basic mechanics behind engine noise as i have been in and around my fair share of performance vehicles. from my time at drag races in staging areas and between lanes to my time in the drivers seat of my straight piped pinto and my fathers 77 cobra, i have experienced exhaust notes from vehicles with 150hp all the way to 1000+ hp 2js and fully built 7 second rx7's.

audio recordings of exhaust systems differ greatly from camera to camera. i was merely asking what UP used to record so i could get an idea of what actual sound would have been in person.
An rx7 might have the best exhaust notes ?