Spark Plugs - NGK Equal?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'll leave this here for anyone searching.
Another post in this thread mentioned the M-12405-20T, and I ended up ordering those after figuring the only difference being a 4-ct pack instead of the 6-ct pack (2.0L vs 3.5L). I was also convinced they'd be the same plugs after reading a bunch of other EB forum posts.
Here is what I've learned:
The Ranger was manufactured with SP542 plugs originally, at some point the factory changed to SP578, so which one you have from the mfg will vary.
The M-12405-35T are a plug 1-Step colder than the stock SP542 plug, which is no longer available.
The M-12405-20T are 2-Steps colder than that same (original) stock plug.
The SP542 was replaced by the SP578. Which is also being replaced by the SP594.
After getting impatient and dealing with dealers and parts houses that were less than helpful, I just went with the SP594 plugs and put them in a rush on a Friday evening only to find that my truck started misfiring under heavy load/throttle/under boost. (I'm running the 5-Star Tuning 93Perf).
So I put the factory plugs back in until the M1240520T's came in.
Finally tonight I received the cold plugs (ordered from Levitown ford) which do seem to be packaged by Ford Performance.
The M-12405-20T is a plug manufactured by Denso (P#ITV24) used by Ford Performance in some of their performance packages. (This was immediately obvious after opening the package).
There are some subtle differences in the sizing of the plug which you can see in the pic and they are pre-gapped to .028(confirmed); but the plug body (seat to tip) is the same so I decided to give it a try.
All that said; I allowed the truck to warm up and gave it a 10mi light break-in and she is running beautifully.
In summary:
The Denso ITV24 can be used, works well and can be had for $10ea on Amazon. I spent about 6hrs and $180 to figure this out so hopefully someone else can benefit also.
Cheers
>>>>> Plug Pic Left to Right: (Stock) SP578, Denso ITV24{Ford M-12405-20T}, OEM Rplmnt SP594

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5325.jpg
Excellent info. This begs the question if the Denso ITV22 (5340), which is 1 heat range colder, will be the sweet spot between performance and longevity for tuned Rangers. I really don't want to do plugs often if I don't have to.
Sponsored

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
Another post in this thread mentioned the M-12405-20T, and I ended up ordering those after figuring the only difference being a 4-ct pack instead of the 6-ct pack (2.0L vs 3.5L). I was also convinced they'd be the same plugs after reading a bunch of other EB forum posts.
The Ranger was manufactured with SP542 plugs originally, at some point the factory changed to SP578, so which one you have from the mfg will vary.
The M-12405-35T are a plug 1-Step colder than the stock SP542 plug, which is no longer available.
After getting impatient and dealing with dealers and parts houses that were less than helpful, I just went with the SP594 plugs and put them in a rush on a Friday evening only to find that my truck started misfiring under heavy load/throttle/under boost. (I'm running the 5-Star Tuning 93Perf).
Finally tonight I received the cold plugs (ordered from Levitown ford) which do seem to be packaged by Ford Performance.
The M-12405-20T is a plug manufactured by Denso (P#ITV24) used by Ford Performance in some of their performance packages. (This was immediately obvious after opening the package).
There are some subtle differences in the sizing of the plug which you can see in the pic and they are pre-gapped to .028(confirmed); but the plug body (seat to tip) is the same so I decided to give it a try.
All that said; I allowed the truck to warm up and gave it a 10mi light break-in and she is running beautifully.
In summary:
The Denso ITV24 can be used, works well and can be had for $10ea on Amazon. I spent about 6hrs and $180 to figure this out so hopefully someone else can benefit also.
Cheers
>>>>> Plug Pic Left to Right: (Stock) SP578, Denso ITV24{Ford M-12405-20T}, OEM Rplmnt SP594

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5325.jpg
Bravo!

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab
In summary:
Cheers

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5325.jpg
Hi all, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. Really have enjoyed the past year driving my daily and work truck. No complaints, truck has been a joy. I just want to thank “simbyote” for posting this helpful tip. I’m a novice mechanic and proactive with maintenance. I noticed some owners plug chop at around 38k and thought I’d do the same. Plugs looked good, nothing compared to some others here. Took the dive and ordered Denso 5341 online. Drove her 40 mi today and was impressed. Couldn’t find torque spec for the plugs so I torqued to 10 ftlb. I drive about 3k monthly, currently at 37.8k, I’ll plug check at 5k and show results then. Kind regards.

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. Really have enjoyed the past year driving my daily and work truck. No complaints, truck has been a joy. I just want to thank “simbyote” for posting this helpful tip. I’m a novice mechanic and proactive with maintenance. I noticed some owners plug chop at around 38k and thought I’d do the same. Plugs looked good, nothing compared to some others here. Took the dive and ordered Denso 5341 online. Drove her 40 mi today and was impressed. Couldn’t find torque spec for the plugs so I torqued to 10 ftlb. I drive about 3k monthly, currently at 37.8k, I’ll plug check at 5k and show results then. Kind regards.
40BD46AE-ED97-4D2B-9A57-72AE4F8AC052.jpeg

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
Yeah I did 10-11 ft lbs as well haha. Now I feel better ! Awesome congratulations!

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercab XL 2WD, only mod is FPP since 1k mi. Oil changes at 5k since new with OEM filter and Super Tech full synth 5w-30. Total sleeper.

Simbyote

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger XLT Black Pack RWD
Occupation
Refrigeration / Food Equipment Tech
Excellent info. This begs the question if the Denso ITV22 (5340), which is 1 heat range colder, will be the sweet spot between performance and longevity for tuned Rangers. I really don't want to do plugs often if I don't have to.
Sorry it has been a while without replying.
It does beg the question, this is likely what I will switch to after 10kmi.
I've put about 1,000mi on them so far and I do notice they perform better under boost (as they should) but it doesn't seem to have an ideal burn without boost. I'm basing this purely on engine sound and small throttle blips yielding excessive unburned fuel ignition in the exhaust (which sounds cool, but leaves non-boosted power on the table.)
That's at least if I don't throw an intercooler on before then, lol.

Simbyote

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm glad you found the post helpful :) . Factory torque spec is alledgedly 12ftlb. However, being an aluminum head it really depends on the temperature of the engine when you swap them.
If your doing it cold I'd recommend the 12ftlb +/- 10-15deg. If you use the 12ftlb with the motor hot the ceramic on the plugs will likely break when pulling them out.
How's it been running? Do you have any bolt-ons?

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad you found the post helpful :) . Factory torque spec is alledgedly 12ftlb. However, being an aluminum head it really depends on the temperature of the engine when you swap them.
If your doing it cold I'd recommend the 12ftlb +/- 10-15deg. If you use the 12ftlb with the motor hot the ceramic on the plugs will likely break when pulling them out.
How's it been running? Do you have any bolt-ons?
Truck has been running great, the OEM plug electrode looked burned after research and comparison. It was time to replace plugs. Engine was warm and plugs were hot to the touch when removed. Found torque specs on lb/in but didn’t want to invest in that type of torque wrench. Overall I’m really happy, don’t mind changing the plugs often if need be. No other mods, Just FPP tune and occasionally I’ll switch to the K&N drop filter it came with. As mentioned I’ll plug chop at next tune up which is at 42k. I’ll repost to show wear if any. Regards

Simbyote

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's great to hear man! Will look forward to your post.

Trem

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford. Ranger. Tremor
Occupation
Retired
So all in all the M 12405 20 T Ford ( Denso) will work fine in a 2022 Ranger XLT Tremor.
Sponsored