Smoker-grill

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
There is a difference between cooked to doneness and cooked to tender. Cooked to doneness may be the desired temp you want. But with some meats such as ribs, pork butts or beef brisket have a lot of collegian which when cooked low and slow helps keep the meat moist and when cooked down make it very tender. I try not to smoke anything higher than 225 - 250.
Good to know.
Sponsored

Kevin Woodc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G
Occupation
Officer
I have the Weber Smokey Mountain. Had it about a year. A stylish charcoal smoker with two grates and a rustproof body for longevity.
https://thebarbec.com/
This is an excellent smoker. As recommended in one of the reviews, I seasoned the BBQ before using it. It worked very well. The door does leak from time to time, but I followed the advice about bending it carefully.

Last edited:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I am a virgin when it comes to smoking, and am getting my fingers greasy so to speak.
I wanted to dredge this thread up to inspire me this weekend.
I'm probably going to lose my V card to some pork ribs and baked potatoes this first foray.
Any suggestions, advice or whatnot would be appreciated.
Late to the party and you likely have it all dialed by now.

In my experience using the old tried and true 3-2-1 method is pretty reliable for smoked ribs.

I use a Traeger smoker (not the best contrary to popular sentiment on the inter webs) and favor Hickory for pork, but taste is totally subjective.

As D Fresh mentioned, remove the membrane on back. I use a dull butter knife to pry a little bit up and then grab it with a paper towel between my fingers and the membrane ( prevents slipping). Just rip it off, most come pretty easily with the paper towel making your grip secure.

I have a homemade rub I prefer for pork (more cayenne than most “hot” store bought have.). I usually use maple syrup as a binder for the rub, but yellow mustard works and truth be told no binder works if the ribs are moist when you are sprinkling the run on (Both sides).

I smoke the rack(s) membrane side down or in a horizontal rack holder if room is a problem for 3 hours at 225. After 1 hour I spritz with a spray bottle 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% apple cider, about every half hour to hour. After 3 hours, I remove, and wrap in two layers of butcher paper, spritzing with my spritz liberally before the wrap up.

Once wrapped I put them back on for 2 hours.

After two hours wrapped on the smoker, I unwrap and put them back on and liberally apply my BBQ sauce. The last hour will set the sauce, making it a little gummy and stuck on pretty good.

One hour later, it is cutting time. Cut membrane side up so you can see the ribs.

Above times can be adjusted for altitude, baby back versus St. Louis style, etc.

Anyone wanting the rub or bbq sauce forMika can PM me.

Sorry if this is a repeat of a previous contributor, I didn’t go back and read the whole thread. If you try this recipe and like it, let me know and I will send my idea of perfect Boston Butt, Brisket and Chuck Roast. :)

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I like it! :)

PS - This post probably belongs on the next few threads down, the pop up ad below the picture is outdoor cooking utensils. The AI in my Apple TV box can’t get the right baseball game to suggest for the life of it, but when it comes to actually making money sell8ng things, scanning a picture and figuring out what they should offer to me, dead spot on. Capitalism triumphs even in the Brave New World! ;)

FerdRanger

First Name
Ferdinand the Great
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
not for long
i use an old 15” weber kettle with a cutout grill to smoke smaller stuff and the big one with the folding grill for turkeys. don’t need anything fancy…

years ago I smoked some salmon but it was hard to keep lit

seriously? took 5 pages??
Sponsored