First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Where I work granted we build large aircraft with tight tolerances, but the robots do jack things up from time to time that's why we have a person watching to make sure it's being done right. We also have inspections after the fact by people. Gaps and alignment issues definitely get shimmed as necessary to meet engineering expectations.

Granted a bed out of whack isn't going to do much but I can't see a cab being out of tolerance not causing a safety issue after a certain point.

Maybe I'm just looking at it filtered from my experience where when drilling by hand you are allowed +/-0.005" flushness and +/-0.02 deg angularity on holes/bolt installs.

I have an 1986 F-150 I'm restoring and half the rust was caused because the automotive spec was just screw everything through the floor without any water sealing.
I work in aerospace as well. Sit right next to the final QC people before parts ship. I see the stuff they have to return for randomish reasons. (Random to an HR guy anyway) So for me it was the robots and people being half asleep that let the bed go out loose and creating noise when driving - but QC failed.

After the bed was torqued down.. The main reason for most of the noise was better isolated and ended up being the freaking ebrake junction cable thing. A tip from this forum and some caliper grease fixed it up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I didn’t read all 5 pages so….
Don’t look at your hood. Mine is crooked as fuck!
Apparently it’s a known issue ?
I just want out of ford/ the ranger asap 🤪

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
On my '19, the bed is offset laterally. Didn't notice until a few weeks after I took delivery. Only noticeable if you look for it. Annoyed at first, but got over it.
Sponsored