Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Since you're going right by duluth to get to grand marais id just head to Gilbert. They have plenty of beginner trails and lots of detours to go around obstacles you come up to, but would rather not try. It's very open, so you can pick and choose or turn around.
Thanks! Will look it up!
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Is this map online? The area we are going to be at is in Tofte. I'll look online to see if there's anything for maps. But if your brother does get back to you on something that would be great to hear what he says.
Asked my brother his thoughts last night. He had quite a bit to say. Nothing too specific, but a lot of good overall thoughts and recommendations.

Tofte Off-Road Thoughts.png

And I think he sums it up pretty well at the end there. Just pick a cool spot you'd like to see, or think would be nice, and find a fun and exciting way to get there. That's usually what I do. I never go out just for the purpose of off-roading. I go out to find and explore and go new places, it just so happens a lot of the time those places are hidden away down some rough roads. haha

Deleted member 1634

Since you're going right by duluth to get to grand marais id just head to Gilbert. They have plenty of beginner trails and lots of detours to go around obstacles you come up to, but would rather not try. It's very open, so you can pick and choose or turn around.
Thanks! Will look it up!
Gilbert is about an hour out of your way for going up the shore. It's definitely a perfect place to strict off-roading in the Northland though. It's a state run off-road park, so that's exactly what it's for. You'll definitely find harder and more technical stuff there than just bombing around in the forest. If that's what you're looking for.

And if you do go, let me know how it goes and what it's like. I've known about Gilbert for awhile, but have been too scared to go there and make a fool of myself in front of experienced off-roaders. haha

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Gilbert is about an hour out of your way for going up the shore. It's definitely a perfect place to strict off-roading in the Northland though. It's a state run off-road park, so that's exactly what it's for. You'll definitely find harder and more technical stuff there than just bombing around in the forest. If that's what you're looking for.

And if you do go, let me know how it goes and what it's like. I've known about Gilbert for awhile, but have been too scared to go there and make a fool of myself in front of experienced off-roaders. haha
LOL I watched a couple of videos of Gilbert, and my guts are feeling like yours! Don't want to look like a fool! LOL

I did download the app that your brother was talking about, and will look deeper into the maps he mention to download. I kinda want stick close to the cabin there as there 6 of us, and I don't want to pull myself away from our group trip for hours from them. Figured on the day we check out, I'll do the forrest road with my husband, Eric.

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Well, I tried to go to a couple of roads and had a closed signs on it. Went to the Ranger station, also closed. I Amy adventure out to Gilbert

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Well, I tried to go to a couple of roads and had a closed signs on it. Went to the Ranger station, also closed. I Amy adventure out to Gilbert
A large group of us are going to Gilbert Saturday July 25th if you're interested in joining up. Never wheel alone anyways. To be safe.

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
A large group of us are going to Gilbert Saturday July 25th if you're interested in joining up. Never wheel alone anyways. To be safe.
Shoot! I am already working the weekend. I need at lest 3 weeks notice for time off as I work retail.
:(

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Shoot! I am already working the weekend. I need at lest 3 weeks notice for time off as I work retail.
:(
Sorry. Sometimes I miss this thread and don't get to check as often as I'd like.

I will give you a bigger notice on the next event. Usually once a month they plan a group outing.

Take care. Ttyl

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Sorry. Sometimes I miss this thread and don't get to check as often as I'd like.

I will give you a bigger notice on the next event. Usually once a month they plan a group outing.

Take care. Ttyl
No worries, it's all good! There's always another time!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I know the it's the opposite of SE, but have any of you Minnesota folk ever been to Bemis Hill Trails? I'm going through the MN DNR Off-road book and it marks it as open to ORVs. Is it something our trucks will fit through or is it too tight? Worth the trip? Am I going to tick off the ATV crowd by using their trail?

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I know the it's the opposite of SE, but have any of you Minnesota folk ever been to Bemis Hill Trails? I'm going through the MN DNR Off-road book and it marks it as open to ORVs. Is it something our trucks will fit through or is it too tight? Worth the trip? Am I going to tick off the ATV crowd by using their trail?
Hey there! I just seeing this.. Sorry for the LATE reply. Never been there or heard of it. Did you end up going ?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there! I just seeing this.. Sorry for the LATE reply. Never been there or heard of it. Did you end up going ?
I have not. I am probably looking at next year at this point.
Sponsored