SE Minnesota Off Road.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Alright, good to know, thanks! Probably won't be able to make it this weekend, already got plans down in The Cities for family stuff. But good to know that other people are going there and have been there.

Another question I had about the whole thing is do I need an OHV sticker/registration for the truck? I'm originally from Michigan where things are a little different, so I'm not sure of the Minnesota way. And I'm having a hard time deciphering the DNR website to find the exact phrasing that I want to read. Something I could always just figure out at the booth when I get to Gilbert of course, but just wondering if anyone more experienced had the answer already.
For state funded parks/trails, yes. So Gilbert, Appleton, and Spider Lake you would need that pass. Placed on the upper left hand side of your rear license plate. Costs $38 for a 3 year pass with taxes.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

For state funded parks/trails, yes. So Gilbert, Appleton, and Spider Lake you would need that pass. Placed on the upper left hand side of your rear license plate. Costs $38 for a 3 year pass with taxes.
Okay, thanks!

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Bunch of people are going to Gilbert this weekend, Friday through Sunday for a fall color run. I will not.

I am going to make it to the next meet at Appleton October 13th I believe. Never been there yet but it sounds fun and most if not all obstacles there you can go around of it's too difficult for your truck/build. I'm stock as well and so I'd skip the giant mud bogs the other guys went in last week. Stair climb might be ok if our longer wheelbase doesn't kill us. But worth a shot.
Shoot, too bad it's not this weekend, I would love to go to Appleton.. I am guessing that's WI?

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoot, too bad it's not this weekend, I would love to go to Appleton.. I am guessing that's WI?
It's actually Appleton Minnesota. Far left hand side of the state. I'd be open to going this Saturday but don't want to go by myself. Otherwise next weekend it is for me.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2162 US-59, Appleton, MN 56208

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
It's actually Appleton Minnesota. Far left hand side of the state. I'd be open to going this Saturday but don't want to go by myself. Otherwise next weekend it is for me.
I am working Sat, but off on Sunday.

Ryan...

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Range Rover Sport
I don't know how far of a trip it is for you MN guys, but there are some nice little easy trails located along Lakewood WI, called "The Pipeline" by most of us. I've brought my Range Rover Sport there with no modifications other than Nitto Terra Grapplers, also brought my old F150 out there which didn't fit down a lot of the trails without scratching the bejeezus out of the paint.

If you google "Wisconsin Pipeline" you'll find a lot of info, some nice Youtube videos too.

41907791715_4eec4c2c12_b.jpg

Youtube: (NOT MY VIDEO)

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
That's a haul for me, but may make it a weekend trip planned ahead!

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I have always wanted to get into casual off-roading. But have been dismayed by the Gilbert park, or any other place really, because they seem like they try and cater to hardcore off-roaders, which I am not. I don't have a lift kit, or special suspension (besides the FX4 stuff), or bigger tires or any mods like that. Nor do I want any of those. I just want to be able to go out and toy around and have fun. Sounds like maybe I'm in the same boat as OP.

I guess I'm putting out a similar question as OP, and will be watching this thread to see what people say. I definitely do a lot of forest road driving and things like that, or at least I used to. And maybe that's all I need to do to be happy.

I'm in Duluth by the way, so the Gilbert park is very doable for me. And so it the Superior National Forest and all the State Forests. Maybe I just need to do a bit more research and see what I can find and just get into it.

Hey Matt,

I'm heading up towards Grand Marais next month, and I might take my Ranger if another couple decide to go on their own instead riding with us.

Have you found any trails for our stock Ranger to go on?

Deleted member 1634

Hey Matt,

I'm heading up towards Grand Marais next month, and I might take my Ranger if another couple decide to go on their own instead riding with us.

Have you found any trails for our stock Ranger to go on?
If you're going all the way up that way, there's a multitude of forest roads to choose from. Anywhere from smooth double-wide gravel to overgrown two-track. That is definitely the area I have wanted to go to to really explore, get lost, and have fun in the truck. My brother works for the US Forest Service in Ely (they cover the Superior National Forest and the BWCAW) and has been saying he'll find me some nice routes and roads and trails to explore. Hasn't gotten me anything yet, but in all fairness I haven't been up that way since last fall so I haven't really asked. haha

I don't necessarily have specific recommendations, but what I usually do is grab my plat book and find the most creative and adventurous way from point A to B. Sometimes that doesn't work and the "road" ends in the woods, despite what the map says. But sometimes you find some pretty cool things. All part of the adventure!

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
If you're going all the way up that way, there's a multitude of forest roads to choose from. Anywhere from smooth double-wide gravel to overgrown two-track. That is definitely the area I have wanted to go to to really explore, get lost, and have fun in the truck. My brother works for the US Forest Service in Ely (they cover the Superior National Forest and the BWCAW) and has been saying he'll find me some nice routes and roads and trails to explore. Hasn't gotten me anything yet, but in all fairness I haven't been up that way since last fall so I haven't really asked. haha

I don't necessarily have specific recommendations, but what I usually do is grab my plat book and find the most creative and adventurous way from point A to B. Sometimes that doesn't work and the "road" ends in the woods, despite what the map says. But sometimes you find some pretty cool things. All part of the adventure!
Is this map online? The area we are going to be at is in Tofte. I'll look online to see if there's anything for maps. But if your brother does get back to you on something that would be great to hear what he says.

Deleted member 1634

Is this map online? The area we are going to be at is in Tofte. I'll look online to see if there's anything for maps. But if your brother does get back to you on something that would be great to hear what he says.
I'm sure there are free maps online somewhere. I know there are GIS/GPS tagged maps that my brother uses for work, but not sure they're free or open to the public. I have an actual physical plat book I bought off Amazon that has worked pretty well for me. I like having physical maps for places I go to in case I don't have cell service or my phone dies or gets lost or whatever. Plus it's more fun, in my mind, to pick a spot on the map, figure out the route, and try to find the way there without being guided by GPS.

I'll see what my brother has to say for trails around the Tofte area and see what he comes back with. I've played around in the Tofte-Finland-Isabella area a few times. Not with the truck yet, but with my previous Subaru (and back when I was single and had more time haha). But mostly on forest roads, nothing too crazy or difficult. There's a great maze of forest roads to spend a long time cruising around back in there without another soul or slab of pavement for miles.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
You can always try around Silver Bay and Finland. there are some nice forest roads but also so trails that are fun.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you're going right by duluth to get to grand marais id just head to Gilbert. They have plenty of beginner trails and lots of detours to go around obstacles you come up to, but would rather not try. It's very open, so you can pick and choose or turn around.
Sponsored