First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the list Evan! I’ll check out some trails via google. Let me know how Lusardi is. For me I’ve only done Otay Mtn, nice little trail. Nothing too crazy just maybe some ruts and slight grade.

Hard sounds enticing since I’ve never really went out on more technical trails due to being solo only mostly. But how does everyone feel about what difficulty? I love an easy trail too, so I don’t mind. Whatever everyone is comfortable with.
I will let you know about Lusardi for sure. I could be game for a hard trail - I am a very novice 4 wheeler though haha. As long as we have some recovery gear I am sure we would be find.

Safe play would be a moderate trail or two to get our bearings then send it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I will let you know about Lusardi for sure. I could be game for a hard trail - I am a very novice 4 wheeler though haha. As long as we have some recovery gear I am sure we would be find.

Safe play would be a moderate trail or two to get our bearings then send it!
I am also a novice 4 wheeler, I have some kinetic straps. Like you said, sure we could manage on hard after a moderate trip! Judging by Otay mtn is on moderate(I would call it easy n slow), and you mentioning the list is a little conservative… we could probably get around all together on hard after a little experience together.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I am also a novice 4 wheeler, I have some kinetic straps. Like you said, sure we could manage on hard after a moderate trip! Judging by Otay mtn is on moderate(I would call it easy n slow), and you mentioning the list is a little conservative… we could probably get around all together on hard after a little experience together.
My pup and I did Lusardi today, very simple trail, I was in 2WD the whole time. Had some drainage berms that you needed to slow down for and was a bit rocky and narrow in areas.

Pinyon sounds like it is moderate up until a couple of obstacles called the squeeze, heart attack hill, and Diablo drop off which give it the hard rating. Might try to scope this one next weekend if I am not busy. Let me know if you wanna join!

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
My pup and I did Lusardi today, very simple trail, I was in 2WD the whole time. Had some drainage berms that you needed to slow down for and was a bit rocky and narrow in areas.

Pinyon sounds like it is moderate up until a couple of obstacles called the squeeze, heart attack hill, and Diablo drop off which give it the hard rating. Might try to scope this one next weekend if I am not busy. Let me know if you wanna join!
Awesome. Lusardi sounds like a chill time on the trails.

I would love to join next weekend(10/9-10/11?) Were you thinking Saturday or Sunday? I would have to make sure I free up that day if so. Oh so pinyon mtn rd is the other way through the usual fish creek wash I do. I go through the more eastward entrance. Is there a location I can map to lookup the pinyon mtn road trail head? I only know of starting off split mountain road.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

Subie going down Diablo drop off. Pretty rutted out atm. Looks fun but never 3 wheeled :eek:

Dang, the FB video is only for socal 4x4 group on FB I think...

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Awesome. Lusardi sounds like a chill time on the trails.

I would love to join next weekend(10/9-10/11?) Were you thinking Saturday or Sunday? I would have to make sure I free up that day if so. Oh so pinyon mtn rd is the other way through the usual fish creek wash I do. I go through the more eastward entrance. Is there a location I can map to lookup the pinyon mtn road trail head? I only know of starting off split mountain road.
I think I am trying to go Saturday 10/9. I fly back in from Denver in the morning and then was going to swing home, grab my dog, and then head up there. The trailhead in All Trails starts in Julian. Lat and Long on the map says 33.05720, -116.42113

I land at 10am and then it will take me an hour to get home and load up, so I likely wont be at the trail head until 12:30 or 1, so more of an afternoon deal.

If you are familiar with fish creek, I am also down with that. I am a bit skeptical about trying a new trail so late in the afternoon....but we can always turn around if it is too sketchy or its getting dark.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
So I’m not going to lie, I have 0 armor and the squeeze scares me lol. Been watching some YouTube videos and it looks like Jeep’s and Tacos barely fit through it. I also just noticed its like 2.5 hours of driving to get to fish creek wash.

Do you wanna just do Otay or something super local? Being that it will be a mid day departure from home for me on Saturday, I don't wanna stretch super far distance wise. I think an hour or so to the trail head will be perfect for me from North County. Open to whatever at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
So I’m not going to lie, I have 0 armor and the squeeze scares me lol. Been watching some YouTube videos and it looks like Jeep’s and Tacos barely fit through it. I also just noticed its like 2.5 hours of driving to get to fish creek wash.

Do you wanna just do Otay or something super local? Being that it will be a mid day departure from home for me on Saturday, I don't wanna stretch super far distance wise. I think an hour or so to the trail head will be perfect for me from North County. Open to whatever at this point.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that difficult obstacle... That is quite tight. I am not as worried about the underside as it looks decently alright but that tight width gives me the scares in a truck. Being so long you basically just only one way through, completely straight. Hmm, I would have to see this obstacle in person to decide if it is worth the risk though. It is quite the drive to get down towards Anza Borrego, usually I make that an overnight trip. They have BLM lands over there you can do some target practice with as well. Real nice camping spot/off-road area.

I am completely okay with Otay or anything very local. Otay I have done a few times but I wouldn't mind going up from Pia Pico campground, never done that route and it seems fun to climb with all the ruts. Not sure if the other gates will be open(marlon road to South Bay Rod Gun Club, and Alta road). The Marlon road one is iffy because it is residential so they close it anytime they want. The Alta road is on "private" industrial streets, border patrol have control of that one. Worst case, we would go through Pia Pico, explore to the summit and around and exit back through Pia Pico. Have you been around to Otay Mtn truck trail?

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
This is exactly what I don't want to happen, either this or my whole side getting a fat gash.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Then you watch a video like this, and the angle looks way wider and not that difficult if you hit it straight on and crawl the side rock.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Then you watch a video like this, and the angle looks way wider and not that difficult if you hit it straight on and crawl the side rock.

Ya, keep in mind though, those 3rd gen 4 runners are like 70" wide at most, our trucks are 77.8" wide (without mirrors), so a little less wiggle room. I'm down to do an overnight out to Anza and hit heart attack from the back side and check out the squeeze in person at another date.

To answer your other question above, I have never been to Otay, so I am game to go out there this weekend if its easy for you!

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Ya, keep in mind though, those 3rd gen 4 runners are like 70" wide at most, our trucks are 77.8" wide (without mirrors), so a little less wiggle room. I'm down to do an overnight out to Anza and hit heart attack from the back side and check out the squeeze in person at another date.

To answer your other question above, I have never been to Otay, so I am game to go out there this weekend if its easy for you!
Oh yeah, good mention. I had that thought in my head but didn't make the effort to look it up. We definitely do have way less wiggle room and that thought scares me seeing as the 3rd gen 4 runner was comfy but the side to side lean got close a few times. Checking out the heart attack in person at a future date with ample time for an overnight sounds like a great plan.

Let's do it! Saturday at 1pm, if you can't make it out there at 1 and need to be a little later maybe some plane delay or whatever the case just update me through this thread! @madchassey are you game for this Saturday at 1pm for a casual ride on the mountain side? Hope no fear of heights for anyone, I would say that is the only thing "challenging" about Otay Mtn. Either way, hug the wall and you'll be dandy, only some sections you may have to reverse to a wider section if BP or another off-roader is coming through. Otherwise, I believe it is the one the highest summits in San Diego area, and at the least it is the highest summit point in the San Ysidro mountains. Great views, we might even be able to catch the beginning of the sunset!
@Kawffin

Last edited:

madchassey

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Marketing
Oh yeah, good mention. I had that thought in my head but didn't make the effort to look it up. We definitely do have way less wiggle room and that thought scares me seeing as the 3rd gen 4 runner was comfy but the side to side lean got close a few times. Checking out the heart attack in person at a future date with ample time for an overnight sounds like a great plan.

Let's do it! Saturday at 1pm, if you can't make it out there at 1 and need to be a little later maybe some plane delay or whatever the case just update me through this thread! @madchassey are you game for this Saturday at 1pm for a casual ride on the mountain side? Hope no fear of heights for anyone, I would say that is the only thing "challenging" about Otay Mtn. Either way, hug the wall and you'll be dandy, only some sections you may have to reverse to a wider section if BP or another off-roader is coming through. Otherwise, I believe it is the one the highest summits in San Diego area, and at the least it is the highest summit point in the San Ysidro mountains. Great views, we might even be able to catch the beginning of the sunset!
@Kawffin
Yeah, I don't think my truck would make it haha especially since the Tremor is an inch wider. I'd also have to take off the side steps bc they would get caught on every single rock.

Also, I can't make it this Saturday since I already have plans :(

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Yeah, I don't think my truck would make it haha especially since the Tremor is an inch wider. I'd also have to take off the side steps bc they would get caught on every single rock.

Also, I can't make it this Saturday since I already have plans :(
Haha more than likely for me the squeeze is a no go but I sure do want to look at it. Come out with us when we do plan for anza, even if one of us weren’t able to make it through I’m sure we would just explore elsewhere around :) fish creek wash is full of crazy cool finds, forgot to mention elephant knees, rock/sand formation scenery and the sandstone canyon slots are really neat! See hundreds of years worth of various types of silt.

No worries on this Saturday. We will plan better and more ahead for the Anza Borrego trip ?

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
I am down as long as I am free currently live in Chula Vista at the base of Otay mountain, finding an open weekend lately is harder than I would like to admit but if someone posts a date and I can make it I will let you know.
Sponsored