First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Substation Electrician
Does anyone know the actual weight? Any water leaks? Can you open the hatch from the inside? Sorry, I can't find any in my area to look at.
Sponsored

Deleted member 8247

Does anyone know the actual weight? Any water leaks? Can you open the hatch from the inside? Sorry, I can't find any in my area to look at.
I was told you can not open from inside, that it was a project on the road ahead with their caps.
This was the single reason for why I just bought an ARE cap.

Also the biggest worry for any cap is the bulkhead of the ford rangers. Just be very liberal with weather stripping and even use some caulk to seal up the very upper edges and you'll be just fine.

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
Just installed mine last weekend. Looks great! One issue that I see has been brought up before is that the supplied foam gasket that goes on the front bulkhead is not tall enough to fill the gap. There's like a 1/4in gap between the bed and cap at that spot. That can't be right. Did RSI send me the wrong gasket? Also, any word on the updated taillight harness? The one that came with mine won't work. I guess I'll just have to tap in to the tailight with a t-tap.
tempImageDwHl2M.jpg

onespeeed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
RN
Just installed mine last weekend. Looks great! One issue that I see has been brought up before is that the supplied foam gasket that goes on the front bulkhead is not tall enough to fill the gap. There's like a 1/4in gap between the bed and cap at that spot. That can't be right. Did RSI send me the wrong gasket? Also, any word on the updated taillight harness? The one that came with mine won't work. I guess I'll just have to tap in to the tailight with a t-tap.
I added another foam type gasket layer from the hardware store to fill the gap. I'm going to skip the tail light all together as its not worth the hassle of the messing with the towing electronics.

tjwallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Curious if anyone knows about the current shipment of RSI SmartCaps heading for North America. I've put a deposit on one at CapIt in Vancouver, Canada around the end of March. They originally estimated it arriving end of April but now they just know it's on a boat but aren't sure when it's landing...

@AuburnRanger do you know when your cap landed in North America?

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious if anyone knows about the current shipment of RSI SmartCaps heading for North America. I've put a deposit on one at CapIt in Vancouver, Canada around the end of March. They originally estimated it arriving end of April but now they just know it's on a boat but aren't sure when it's landing...

@AuburnRanger do you know when your cap landed in North America?
Not sure exactly when mine arrived by boat. Mine has an August manufacturing date.

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
For you guys that have ordered the RSI SmartCap what were your deciding factors in ordering the Adventure, with the solid gullwing doors, or the Sport, with the glass?

UPDATE: Decided to order the Adventure with the solid metal gullwing doors.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
In anticipation of my cap arriving Friday and installing over the weekend I’ve started searching for a solution for the bulkhead gasket. This is the best option I’ve found so far...

F49327C4-5632-46EA-A0EB-40B1438CFF01.jpeg

Any thought from those of you that have installed the cap? Too tall? ESI has a couple of different profiles specifically for bulkhead weatherstripping.

onespeeed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
RN
In anticipation of my cap arriving Friday and installing over the weekend I’ve started searching for a solution for the bulkhead gasket. This is the best option I’ve found so far...

F49327C4-5632-46EA-A0EB-40B1438CFF01.jpeg

Any thought from those of you that have installed the cap? Too tall? ESI has a couple of different profiles specifically for bulkhead weatherstripping.
I think you will be right on. Its a little difficult to measure installed but I see slightly less than an inch to the "D" gasket that adheres to the topper. you should be able to use the above as a complete replacement of the gap filler they supply. I used another 1/4" gasket stacked on top of the supplied one and it just filled the gap with minimal compression of the "D" gasket. You should get slightly more compression from what I'm seeing.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
This is pretty sweet. I wish it didn't extend above the roofline for a few reasons.

What's the update on it actually being waterproof?

Idahocartel

First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt fx4
Occupation
Film
Has anyone have the builtright industries molle panels in their bed with the RSI Smartcap?
Oh and just got my EVOa from @OffroadAlliance
The load bars where from my last truck
Frontrunners just got new m8 1.25pitch hardware
2D20E746-794A-4ADA-A51E-E07A5A35C296.jpeg

Last edited:

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone have the builtright industries molle panels in their bed with the RSI Smartcap?
Oh and just got my EVOa from @OffroadAlliance
The load bars where from my last truck
Frontrunners just got new m8 1.25pitch hardware
2D20E746-794A-4ADA-A51E-E07A5A35C296.jpeg
I have Builtright in the passenger side. Works great with no issues.

FABE93CC-2246-4B47-B930-EBBE41F4CC7E.jpeg

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
This is pretty sweet. I wish it didn't extend above the roofline for a few reasons.

What's the update on it actually being waterproof?
I was worried about the waterproofing because it rains a lot here, but I am so surprised how well it seals. The vent has not leaked at all for me. There is the typical tailgate seal problem but you can get a kit on Amazon for that and it’s not an issue with RSI. I did have a leak on one of the sliding windows but RSI sent me a new gasket and it is completely waterproof now. I LOVE this camper shell and get compliments all the time.

6E4B8BEC-F44E-42E1-ABEA-6EE1425A6A02.png

5198AD60-2E55-4920-AE02-D496A093688A.jpeg
Sponsored