Rotten Eggs

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
So its 2 degrees F outside this morning. Used remote start like normal to warm up the truck. Looked out the window and my neighbors car is practically invisible it is covered in so much exhaust smoke. I laugh and go outside to leave 10 minutes later and :puke: the fumes smelled like rotten eggs. Should I be worried? Figured it was more related to the extreme temperature drop than anything else.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Chances are it's because it's cold out and you're warming it up for a longer period. If you recently got gas it could also be an old batch of gas which can be contaminated with sulfur.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I do remember the older cats smelling like rotten egss when you ran the vehicle hard. Maybe it was just the cat getting hot.

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
All good thoughts! halfway through this tank of gas and haven't noticed a smell before so idk if that was it. A basic google search says the cat could be going bad but that is hard to believe with 1,400 miles on the truck. More likely the extreme temp drop is to blame.

The only thing that would be out of the ordinary I suppose was I got a car wash yesterday on my way home to remove some of the salt and after the wash I parked it?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
All good thoughts! halfway through this tank of gas and haven't noticed a smell before so idk if that was it. A basic google search says the cat could be going bad but that is hard to believe with 1,400 miles on the truck. More likely the extreme temp drop is to blame.

The only thing that would be out of the ordinary I suppose was I got a car wash yesterday on my way home to remove some of the salt and after the wash I parked it?
Anything is possible but I doubt it's a bad Cat. Just keep an eye, I mean nose on it and if it keeps up I'd bring it to the dealer and have them check the Cat. Like Jim Said I remember the older cars smelling like that but I don't remember any of my newer ones having that smell.

Edit: If you have a chance today maybe take it up on the highway and run it hard. Then see if it smells after that or in the morning.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
So its 2 degrees F outside this morning. Used remote start like normal to warm up the truck. Looked out the window and my neighbors car is practically invisible it is covered in so much exhaust smoke. I laugh and go outside to leave 10 minutes later and :puke: the fumes smelled like rotten eggs. Should I be worried? Figured it was more related to the extreme temperature drop than anything else.
Just my un-informed opinion. 2 degrees F is not in any way cold. That seems like a lot of exhaust smoke for a fairly mild winter temperature.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Andrew,

I do not think it should be doing this. It is running way too rich and I wonder if you are purchasing Tier 3 gas.... I would have some shop like AutoZone or such or the dealer and see if there are any coded generated....

best,
Phil

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just my un-informed opinion. 2 degrees F is not in any way cold. That seems like a lot of exhaust smoke for a fairly mild winter temperature.
In what world is 2 degrees F not cold? That's -17 degrees C.

Edit: It was -2 degrees F this morning here, and I can assure you it's ****** cold, and there is not much difference between -2 and +2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Hi Andrew,

I do not think it should be doing this. It is running way too rich and I wonder if you are purchasing Tier 3 gas.... I would have some shop like AutoZone or such or the dealer and see if there are any coded generated....

best,
Phil
I have put 93 octane from Sam's club in the truck since I purchased it. I have a generic scan tool I will hook up when I get home.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I have noticed these engines seem to run rich when warming up in colder temps. Noticed some of the exhaust condensation drip on the floor was blackish with soot few days ago. I have not smelled sulfur but I also never idle the truck for more than a minute or two max.

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I have noticed these engines seem to run rich when warming up in colder temps. Noticed some of the exhaust condensation drip on the floor was blackish with soot few days ago. I have not smelled sulfur but I also never idle the truck for more than a minute or two max.
I usually warm up the truck for 10-15 minutes in the morning to defrost the windows.