Rigid Hitch Vs. Curt

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
While looking for an aftermarket hitch, I stumbled across a Rigid branded one that i had not previously seen. Now I am trying to decide between this one and the Curt, which was going to be my previous choice. The Rigid is a class IV, like the one from Ford. Does anyone have any experience with Rigid vs. Curt? Is the class IV vs III additional capacity worth it? Looking for everyone's thoughts.

Screenshot_20190905-063058_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190905-063049_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ranger's My Middle Name

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
As I look more, I see that the first attachment for the Rigid says class IV, but the installation instructions say class III. I believe that the ratings are still a little higher than the Curt, though.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
As I look more, I see that the first attachment for the Rigid says class IV, but the installation instructions say class III. I believe that the ratings are still a little higher than the Curt, though.
Class III by definition (SAE J684) stops at 5000lbs. So there's a discrepancy in the rigid documentation: either it's a class IV rated for 7000lbs or it's a class III rated for no more than 5000. But, for some reason, various sources say that class III goes to 6000 or 8000 pounds--so the classes have become ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ rather than something reliable. There's also some confusion with people calling any 2 inch hitch as "class III" but that's misuse of the term and I'd expect the manufacturer to be more precise. (If they're screwing this up, what else are they screwing up?)

Unless this is all a shady marketing thing where they say that the hitch is rated to 8000# but since it's labeled class III you can't actually use more than 5000# load?

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
GTW is 1000 lbs greater than the Curt. Tongue weight is 200 lbs less and GWDTW is the same. Curt's ratings:

Rating: Class III
  • Maximum gross trailer weight: 6,000 lbs
    • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 8,000 lbs
  • Maximum tongue weight: 900 lbs
    • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 900 lbs

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Well, that's a decent response and clarification from the company.