First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I want to install a new handle and am looking for help on OE handle removal. I have not found anything on Ranger but did on a mustang. They used a heat gun and pulled handle off toward front of car with force. On install of OE or other handle is it a press fit or is it glued on? Auto adhesive or more something like a caulk adhesive. Lighter holding strength? Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandman Ranger

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Anyone have thoughts?
Bump.
Tried to PM Phil but he is not taking PM’s or not set up.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have thoughts?
Bump.
Tried to PM Phil but he is not taking PM’s or not set up.
Hi Pete,

Had to turn off PMs ....way too many to address. I talked to the Moderators before I did this and they understood and agreed. The Moderators can PM me and if really important they can reach me, but I try to read every post every day...I may miss a few but try to read them all as I learn from this forum too!

As far as the parking brake handle, I really can not answer as it appears to be serviced pia the lever...in other words the cover comes already on the lever from service, so how to remove the rubber/plastic handle is not something I know how to do... Since Mustang forums indicate use of a heat gun, I would suspect the same applies to Ranger....JMO.

For the Ranger Race trucks when we used parking brake levers for the blade adjustable roll bars, we just cut off the rubber and wrapped the handles in a abrasive roll similar to skate board tape. Drivers could not grip the handles with racing gloves on so we just cut the rubber/Plastic grip off the lever. Can not recall if there was a glue residue or not... Not pretty, but hey...it was a race truck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Sandman Ranger

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hi Pete,

Had to turn off PMs ....way too many to address. I talked to the Moderators before I did this and they understood and agreed. The Moderators can PM me and if really important they can reach me, but I try to read every post every day...I may miss a few but try to read them all as I learn from this forum too!

As far as the parking brake handle, I really can not answer as it appears to be serviced pia the lever...in other words the cover comes already on the lever from service, so how to remove the rubber/plastic handle is not something I know how to do... Since Mustang forums indicate use of a heat gun, I would suspect the same applies to Ranger....JMO.

For the Ranger Race trucks when we used parking brake levers for the blade adjustable roll bars, we just cut off the rubber and wrapped the handles in a abrasive roll similar to skate board tape. Drivers could not grip the handles with racing gloves on so we just cut the rubber/Plastic grip off the lever. Can not recall if there was a glue residue or not... Not pretty, but hey...it was a race truck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for reply.
Was not having much luck getting any info and wanted to see if had a suggestion, since you made the only reply. Thanks. Will look a little more before trying heat and strength.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Tells me I can not start a conversation.
That's why I tagged him with the @ in front of his name. He would just get an alert saying he was mentioned in a conversation. Unless that was turned off as well....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I tagged him with the @ in front of his name. He would just get an alert saying he was mentioned in a conversation. Unless that was turned off as well....
Hi Derek,

I get alerts...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
First part of this shows how the panel/boot comes off, well kinda anyway. Handle looks to be all one piece or glued together. Hard to tell from a 3d render though.
Hope that helps some.

What wrong with the stock handle?

Attachments

OP
OP
Sandman Ranger

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
No good reason to change.
Just like some carbon fiber parts and took a chance on this order.
Many parts on Aliexpress are for non USA Ranger. Some fit, some do not. I watched a Mustang video and the handle looked similar. On this video heated the handle and pulled with force toward front of the car. Slides off. The carbon fiber part is actually very nice. Solid carbon weave to the inside. Sometimes they are only laminated. The inside has a flat side on the hole to the drivers side so it looks like it orients the part. There are no locking or set screw holes so it looks like one would glue it on. Similar to OE if heat and pulling can remove. Just want to make sure before I pull. Guy who was in Mustang video said to pull with force and it will come off. Did not share earlier in case it did not work.

US $33.54 41% Off | Real Carbon Fiber Car Replace Handbrake Grips Cover for Ford Ranger Accessories Interior Trim
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mswfM2P

Few videos.

Last edited:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Give er a good yank! .....

AB3Z-2780-A Is an entire replacement assembly, only $43 if you break it. Seems almost too cheap, you might want to double check that.

OP
OP
Sandman Ranger

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer