Recommendations for rack storage boxes/totes?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So yea, I know about all the cool stuff you can get from places like Front Runner, but the cost to enter that ride is high. I need some stop gap solutions for now.

So the question is should I go for specific waterproof items, or do stuff like standard totes and just install my own weather stripping to them? Nothing super expensive will be stored in them and they will be up on a bed rack with a simple locking system. I will also be drilling out holes in bottoms to attach directly to the supports.

Honestly what I am trying to find are some very long, but not so high containers. Totes/Boxes made out of plastic/polymers (husky, plano, etc etc) are a dime a dozen, but no one makes something like a 60" rifle case, but a bit taller. I could just buy some over sized rifle cases, but those companies charge rifle case pricing for something I only need to store road trip items in.

I need something like a Pelican Vault, but about twice as tall, without the Pelican price tag or features. All I need is a few holes for locks and a latch system of some sort.

pelican-90296.jpg
Sponsored

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I bought a couple different totes from Walmart and 1-2 from Home Depot. Walmart had something similiar to what you're looking for I believe.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Not as rugged or secure as a Pelican case, but I have hauled a Rubbermaid Action Packer several laps around the world, and find it to be exceptionally durable for the cost. You would have to add a foam gasket to make it more resistant to water intrusion while driving, but sitting in the rain for weeks is not a problem, even without adding a gasket.

Another option, though less convenient in use, is a waterproof bag. They are readily available, with built-in tie-downs, for car-top hauling. Giant lawn/leaf or construction site trash bags are a good emergency or short-term solution, and I like to leave a few of them in my gear bags for temporary use.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I have a plethora of "tall" containers I could purchase.

Im struggling to find something short, but long. Maybe 10-12" tall, but 60" + long.

What short ones I can find, are half the length Im looking for. I mean I can double up, but I'm trying to find a single unit.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are plenty of cross-bed tool boxes that big, but they are expensive. There are a ton of them on my local Craigslist, some at good prices. Maybe you can find something there or on Facebook.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know why I didn't think of this before (since I walk past one dozens of times per day) but 88-key electronic keyboards also need travel cases that are about 60", and they are commonly available in deeper configurations than rifle cases. Lots of used ones out there. eBay is usually good for this, or any large music store that sells used gear.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I think push comes to shove I'm going to end up going with x4 Plano 108qt trunks. I can get them from Home Depot for $120 for all of them. If I run them long ways each side two come in right at 6 feet.

Not to happy with 14" height, but it is what it is.

black-plano-storage-trunks-pla108hd-64_1000.jpg

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Go to the surplus store. They probably have used Pelicans, Hardiggs, aluminum med boxes

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

frmtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew 2wd (301a, Trailer Tow, Locker)
Not as rugged or secure as a Pelican case, but I have hauled a Rubbermaid Action Packer several laps around the world, and find it to be exceptionally durable for the cost. You would have to add a foam gasket to make it more resistant to water intrusion while driving, but sitting in the rain for weeks is not a problem, even without adding a gasket.

Another option, though less convenient in use, is a waterproof bag. They are readily available, with built-in tie-downs, for car-top hauling. Giant lawn/leaf or construction site trash bags are a good emergency or short-term solution, and I like to leave a few of them in my gear bags for temporary use.
+1 on the action packer, probably the cheapest lockable (mostly) weather resistant box.

If you want to go the bag route, check out dry bags for whitewater rafting-- heavy welded vinyl construction, roll top closure, heavy duty D-rings for tie downs, available in sizes from 10L to 200L. They won't hold up to thieves or bears, but have no problem keeping smaller critters, water, and dust out.
Sponsored