Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Black, 1970 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Everybody seems interest in making a Ranger Raptor but I want to go in a different direction. Maybe because I have a two wheel drive but the idea of a Ranger Lightening appeals to me. Want to upgrade power to about 400 HP using turner, new intercooler, new BOV, cool air intake, new exhaust, front and rear swaybars. I figure if they can get 500 HP out of the ecoboost for a Mustang it should be possible. The only drawback at this time seems to be nobody makes cool air intake, swaybars or intercoolers for the Ranger yet. Well it's all in the planning stage at the moment but if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Sonic Blue 04 Lightning--fun truck !!!! Turning a corner, goose the gas just a little, and it brought the rear end around very nicely. Gas mileage sucked and having to fill up with 93 octane every time was painful, but worth it.
Hellwig is developing a rear sway bar kit and most likely, a front replacement one too. We just have to be patient...these things take time. Myself and about a dozen or so others are waiting for a lowering kit....or at least something to bring the ass end down to level or maybe an inch higher than the front. Here--- https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/who-else-is-planning-to-lower-their-ranger.3134/
I added ya to the list :)

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Steve63

Steve63

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Sonic Blue 04 Lightning--fun truck !!!! Turning a corner, goose the gas just a little, and it brought the rear end around very nicely. Gas mileage sucked and having to fill up with 93 octane every time was painful, but worth it.
Hellwig is developing a rear sway bar kit and most likely, a front replacement one too. We just have to be patient...these things take time. Myself and about a dozen or so others are waiting for a lowering kit....or at least something to bring the ass end down to level or maybe an inch higher than the front. Here--- https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/who-else-is-planning-to-lower-their-ranger.3134/
I added ya to the list :)
Thanks, I had a black 2001 F150 regular cab flare side (step side) with 5.4L and captains chairs, not the lightening. The gas mileage sucked, but was fun truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
After seeing the new take on the GMC Syclone I was thinking Ranger Lighting would be a cool project. 2WD, Supercab, power boost and lowered. Get some custom made lightning wheels...

AA81712A-B1FE-466F-9345-A56BDBDB0F88.jpeg

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Everybody seems interest in making a Ranger Raptor but I want to go in a different direction. Maybe because I have a two wheel drive but the idea of a Ranger Lightening appeals to me. Want to upgrade power to about 400 HP using turner, new intercooler, new BOV, cool air intake, new exhaust, front and rear swaybars. I figure if they can get 500 HP out of the ecoboost for a Mustang it should be possible. The only drawback at this time seems to be nobody makes cool air intake, swaybars or intercoolers for the Ranger yet. Well it's all in the planning stage at the moment but if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.
Would you lower it? How much and any suspension options?

OP
OP
Steve63

Steve63

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Would you lower it? How much and any suspension options?
Nothing crazy but yes, 1 inch in front and 2 or maybe a little more in back. Just to level it out. Add air bags in back so I could still tow my vintage Mustang. I guess the lowering would depend on how large I could still go on tires because I would not go smaller than the 265/60-18's that are on it already.

19SilverRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 Ford Mustang GT
I’ve had this same thought! Would love an SVT Ranger

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
After seeing the new take on the GMC Syclone I was thinking Ranger Lighting would be a cool project. 2WD, Supercab, power boost and lowered. Get some custom made lightning wheels...

AA81712A-B1FE-466F-9345-A56BDBDB0F88.jpeg
It would have to be all-wheel drive....I just checked out the new Syclone and with 455 horses, anything but AWD is kinda pointless. I rarely got good traction with my Lightning and that was it's Achilles heel.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
A little bit of a sidetrack that a lot of people may not know about: The Ranger Lightning Bolt.

http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/163-0406-ford-svt-lightning-bolt-ranger

It was a one-off prototype that SVT made back in the day. It has 345s in the back to accommodate the 450 lb-ft of torque from the supercharged 5.4. It started off as a "let's see if we can just retrofit Lightning parts on the Ranger to make it cool, maybe we can sell it if its easy!". Needless to say, it got complicated real quick and they modified the frame haha.

Right now it's stored in a "secret room" at a random Ford storage facility. Ford Performance will take it out every now and then, but unfortunately, the majority of its time it sits under a cover alongside a bunch of other SVT products from back in the day.

Daniel Cohen

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
A little bit of a sidetrack that a lot of people may not know about: The Ranger Lightning Bolt.

http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/163-0406-ford-svt-lightning-bolt-ranger

It was a one-off prototype that SVT made back in the day. It has 345s in the back to accommodate the 450 lb-ft of torque from the supercharged 5.4. It started off as a "let's see if we can just retrofit Lightning parts on the Ranger to make it cool, maybe we can sell it if its easy!". Needless to say, it got complicated real quick and they modified the frame haha.

Right now it's stored in a "secret room" at a random Ford storage facility. Ford Performance will take it out every now and then, but unfortunately, the majority of its time it sits under a cover alongside a bunch of other SVT products from back in the day.
That is pretty sick

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Customer that stops by often; re-bought his F150 Lightning. That engine sounds awesome! He told us a story of how fast it went but I'm more then a little certain he didn't drive that thing over 210 on the roads up here(Clocked by Hypo and all that jazz)...lol, that or he is truly insane.

OP
OP
Steve63

Steve63

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sure those older Rangers had plenty of room for a V8 but ours do not without major surgery. Very cool and very unobtainable.
Sponsored

Last edited: