Ranger compared to Subaru in snow

Pinski66

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Got to experience some snow with the Ranger this week. We got about 15" on Monday. It was great with the general grabbers and 2 60# sand tubes over the rear wheels. My wife just got a Bronco Sport Badlands 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure how comparable, it is to a Subaru, but I'm getting winter tires for her. I think i would take the little Bronco on a winter road trip. I think the automatic AWD system would be great for changing road conditions.
Sponsored

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
We have a Subaru Crosstrek and the Ranger, for paved snowy roads I will take the Subi over the Ranger any day, it's just much easier to drive and sticks to the road like glue. On dirt or off road with snow, the ranger is the winner.

I had a manual trans WRX prior to the Ranger, I couldn't believe the snow I could plow through with that thing with snow tires on, was a fun car.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
We have a Subaru Crosstrek and the Ranger, for paved snowy roads I will take the Subi over the Ranger any day, it's just much easier to drive and sticks to the road like glue. On dirt or off road with snow, the ranger is the winner.

I had a manual trans WRX prior to the Ranger, I couldn't believe the snow I could plow through with that thing with snow tires on, was a fun car.

yeah and IMO having to add 400 lbs of weight to the back of any vehicle to get around in the snow is a non starter.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
People who just want to drive A to B with no thought except how many likes their last post got will/should always choose the Subaru or other AWD.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
yeah and IMO having to add 400 lbs of weight to the back of any vehicle to get around in the snow is a non starter.
I'd just add a few sand bags right over the rear wheels. Doesn't have to be 400 pounds.

I'd go with 200 pounds of sand. You can just buy playground sand for around $15-20 for 200 pounds. I'd double bag them with black contractor hefty bags.

https://www.briggssupercenter.com/blog/how-to-properly-weight-your-truck-for-winter-driving/#:~:text=A general rule of thumb,but this isn't true.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
People who just want to drive A to B with no thought except how many likes their last post got will/should always choose the Subaru or other AWD.
You would think it would be that simple and for me it is - if the wife's AWD Hyundai is in the garage that is my choice in the snow. If it isn't then I'll very carefully drive the Ranger.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
The Ranger on snow tyres is very capable. I do off road in deep snow and it has never failed me, without any load in the back: 4H mode. I also drive an X3 (x-drive) that behaves very well and had previously a few other SUVs. Driving at speed feels safer in an SUV on a snowy/icy road with patches of clear tarmac, but this has to do with the fast activity of the AWD system, while in the Ranger you would probably be in 2WD. If you are rolling at 50kmh and a curve with ice is ahead, the Ranger in 2WD unladen will give you the thrills.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
My ranger is light years ahead in the snow compared to my old XJ. The longer wheelbase helps a lot. Subaru vs Ranger? I'd assume the Subaru to be slightly better unless you're talking about deep snow where more ground clearance is needed.
Sponsored