First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What a great barn find. A rare prototype 1963 Mustang built for Henry Ford and you’ll see all sorts of unusual additions and other things not found on the production Mustang. This guy bought the Mustang back in 1975, it was selling for $525 but he talked them down to $500. lol

Sponsored

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
No telling what it would go for today. The 68 from the movie Bullitt sold at Mecum for 3.74 million in 2020.

Pretty cool that it is restored and well cared for. I notice that he didn't offer to let that guy drive it. It would be a step or two up from that Pacer he is driving.:crackup:

$500 1974 would be about $ 3000. today. ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No telling what it would go for today. The 68 from the movie Bullitt sold at Mecum for 3.74 million in 2020.

Pretty cool that it is restored and well cared for. I notice that he didn't offer to let that guy drive it. It would be a step or two up from that Pacer he is driving.:crackup:

$500 1974 would be about $ 3000. today. ?
I thought driving the Pacer was kind of funny myself. ? I mean it's Hagerty and you'd think he'd be driving a classic muscle car like a '70 Challenger or even a '66 Mustang. lol:wink:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I thought driving the Pacer was kind of funny myself. ? I mean it's Hagerty and you'd think he'd be driving a classic muscle car like a '70 Challenger or even a '66 Mustang. lol:wink:
I think Pacers are incredibly ugly, but I love to see them because I love to see oddball/unusual cars. I got excited about seeing a couple of vintage pintos the other year at a car show!

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think Pacers are incredibly ugly, but I love to see them because I love to see oddball/unusual cars. I got excited about seeing a couple of vintage pintos the other year at a car show!
I have seen a few really nice Pinto's at car shows over the years. Some were all done up full out drag cars while others were restored to original which were cool to see. I had one back in the early 80's. It was a winter beater I bought for $300 while my Z28 was stored for the winter. For the price it ran great and got me through the winter without any issues until it caught on fire in Bradlees parking lot. :oops:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I have seen a few really nice Pinto's at car shows over the years. Some were all done up full out drag cars while others were restored to original which were cool to see. I had one back in the early 80's. It was a winter beater I bought for $300 while my Z28 was stored for the winter. For the price it ran great and got me through the winter without any issues until it caught on fire in Bradlees parking lot. :oops:
Had several Pintos over the 70's and they never let me down.
But, remember the Vega ? Had a 74, new, and was even a bigger POS than the Yugo. Spent half of first year in the shop getting new engine, than trans. Spent second half year trying to sell it !!!

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Had several Pintos over the 70's and they never let me down.
But, remember the Vega ? Had a 74, new, and was even a bigger POS than the Yugo. Spent half of first year in the shop getting new engine, than trans. Spent second half year trying to sell it !!!
The next winter I found a really cheap Vega for a winter beater. It had a 3spd and was a blast through the winter. At least that one made it and never caught fire. lol

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My first Race car 71 Pinto.... They said it was a pig so I made it an awfully fast pig...

71 BS Pinto.jpg

Best,
Phil

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My first Race car 71 Pinto.... They said it was a pig so I made it an awfully fast pig...

71 BS Pinto.jpg

Best,
Phil
I remember those...in 73-74 I ran a Datsun 510 sedan in SCCA in Miami. Strictly my own homebuild, but had fun. Went up against lots of the Pintos, early Toyo's, and the MG's.
I remember that the Pintos had lots of Ford Factory race parts available. The only advantage I had over them was the 510"s independent rear suspension...could beat just about anything in corners.
I had hundreds of photo's from those years, but unfortunately a guy by the name of Andrew hit us in Fla in 92 and totaled our home, wiped it clean...anything prior to 92 is just a memory now.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I remember those...in 73-74 I ran a Datsun 510 sedan in SCCA in Miami. Strictly my own homebuild, but had fun. Went up against lots of the Pintos, early Toyo's, and the MG's.
I remember that the Pintos had lots of Ford Factory race parts available. The only advantage I had over them was the 510"s independent rear suspension...could beat just about anything in corners.
I had hundreds of photo's from those years, but unfortunately a guy by the name of Andrew hit us in Fla in 92 and totaled our home, wiped it clean...anything prior to 92 is just a memory now.
Hi Steve,

My Pinto would out handle pretty much all the import stuff with a lot of development work. I was down on power to the 510 as I ran the 1600cc motor to keep the weight down. Poor little Kent 4 banger did not much care for 14:1 compression ratio, but the lotus copper head gasket was a god send. Twisting it to 8500 rpm required a bit of work too... With so much custom made by me I realized this one off stuff was $$$$. A nice FSV was much easier so ditched the Pinto early on..

best,
Phil

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Steve,

My Pinto would out handle pretty much all the import stuff with a lot of development work. I was down on power to the 510 as I ran the 1600cc motor to keep the weight down. Poor little Kent 4 banger did not much care for 14:1 compression ratio, but the lotus copper head gasket was a god send. Twisting it to 8500 rpm required a bit of work too... With so much custom made by me I realized this one off stuff was $$$$. A nice FSV was much easier so ditched the Pinto early on..

best,
Phil
That was the nice thing about the 510...the engine was a 1600 cc overhead cam from the factory.
But, I never had any backing except from some of my cop friends that would wrench with me. Almost all the drivetrain was stock. Pretty much the only pro made stuff was the roll cage and some body mods to stiffen the body a bit. But it was fun !!!

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
That is really cool. I wish my `67 Lincoln had history to it. Sadly, mine was owned by David Rockefeller and I bought it from VMGRT-253 in `93. That squadron was later decommissioned. I also wish I had the funds and time to fix that Lincoln. It needs a lot. Found poor reconstruction work to address rotted quarter panels, likely from the New York time of its life.
Sponsored